BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-07-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by glfprncs The last two weekends, I've had rides of 60 and 70 miles respectively. During both of those rides, the front end of my bike felt 'squirrely' whenever I'd go down into aero. I haven't noticed this feeling prior to the last 2 weekend rides. It's enough to make me feel rather uncomfortable which is NOT fun. A few things: I ride on Reynolds AR 58/62 wheels. I did put on new tires this week, but that wouldn't account for the feeling last weekend. I also replaced the stock aero bar pads with Cee Gee Cushy's. My first long road ride with them was on June 23rd, which is 3 weeks ago. I don't recall noticing any issues with them on that first ride. It has not been windy. Truly...4-5 mph 'winds' both weekends. I haven't had any other changes to my bike set up. I'm so confused...and frustrated. I just want to park myself in aero and pedal. I have an e-mail into the bike shop/fitter where I purchased the bike, and am willing to trek to Atlanta to have him check my fit and see if there's something else going on. Any thoughts?

Tire pressure?  Wheel came out of true?  Areobars moved somehow (or have you moved our saddle)?

Squirrelly or wobbly. Squirrelly sounds like it only happens at times, where as wobbly would be bad all the time. Does it feel different ONLY in aero? Or any time at all? Was it late in the ride, or throughout the ride when on the bars? If it truly is only and every time when in aero, I would lean towards something has changed in the cockpit or like was mentioned above, the saddle.  Check the aero bars(or any other contact point) especially, since that is where you are connected to the bike. My guess is that the new pads (The only thing that changed?) are the cause of the challenge. How are they attached, was anything loosened or tightened during installation, etc.? Also, if you are getting into aero and squeezing the brake lines, you may be causing intermittent braking issues, but unless you are running hydraulic brakes, that probably isn't even a thought.  If that isn't it, then check the bars themselves and the saddle. The last (and probably worst case) would be the headset. If anything was tightened or loosened in the headset like pinch bolts, then a bigger problem may be at play. If you have a torque wrench and a degree of comfort, you can loosen the pinch bolts and cap bolt, remove the entire cockpit, and insure the fork and stem are all good. 

2019-07-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Chris...thank you for the headseat info. That's out of my comfort zone.

The aerobar pads are simply thicker, cashier pads that Velcro into the old armrests. I'm thinking the slightly taller height and the squishiness may be the root cause. I hate to go back to the stock pads as these are so comfy, but not at the expense of my safety.

Waiting on shop to open tomorrow, but may throw the old pads on for a spin to see if I notice a change.
2019-07-15 1:52 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Chris...thank you for the headseat info. That's out of my comfort zone. The aerobar pads are simply thicker, cashier pads that Velcro into the old armrests. I'm thinking the slightly taller height and the squishiness may be the root cause. I hate to go back to the stock pads as these are so comfy, but not at the expense of my safety. Waiting on shop to open tomorrow, but may throw the old pads on for a spin to see if I notice a change.

Did you save the stock pads? 

2019-07-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I did my first xterra this weekend - I wrote a race report mostly because Janyne hunted me down to do so

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

It was exactly as I expected it to be and I hope to do more. but I really need a new bike. DAMN these things cost more than my tri bike now!!

ps edited to add (speaking of more races) I signed up for Des Moines. EEK!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2019-07-15 2:16 PM
2019-07-15 2:29 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a good race. 2nd (be 7 seconds) in my age group (50-59) and 8th overall. It was a larger than normal group but slower times, some of the super speedy people didn't race this year. I'm happy with my time, especially since I have done zero speed work this year. The winner was a 29 year old priest! He didn't wear his collar.

Congratulations!  Impressive results given the fatigue of IM training. Lake Placid is just around the corner! Are you getting excited?

I can't wait. We leave a week from Tuesday, so I'm doing the pre-vacation work crunch now. It's panic time on the IMLP boards. As you can imagine the full slate of panic posts, about the water temp, the air temp, hydration, food, under prepared, do I have the right gearing, shoes and is there shade on the run course.
It's funny how we can get caught up in the minutiae and not enjoy the reward of the race.
My favorite sherpa will be there with FB live posts and regular updates. Our daughter Sophia is taking a break from school to go also. It should be fun.
2019-07-15 2:30 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a good race. 2nd (be 7 seconds) in my age group (50-59) and 8th overall. It was a larger than normal group but slower times, some of the super speedy people didn't race this year. I'm happy with my time, especially since I have done zero speed work this year. The winner was a 29 year old priest! He didn't wear his collar.

Congratulations!  Impressive results given the fatigue of IM training. Lake Placid is just around the corner! Are you getting excited?

I can't wait. We leave a week from Tuesday, so I'm doing the pre-vacation work crunch now. It's panic time on the IMLP boards. As you can imagine the full slate of panic posts, about the water temp, the air temp, hydration, food, under prepared, do I have the right gearing, shoes and is there shade on the run course. It's funny how we can get caught up in the minutiae and not enjoy the reward of the race. My favorite sherpa will be there with FB live posts and regular updates. Our daughter Sophia is taking a break from school to go also. It should be fun.

Awesome! I can't wait to stalk you on course!

2019-07-15 2:32 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Congratulations! Sprints bring a whole different kind of pain Nice to see the priest racing. Maybe he can join sister Madonna at a race!

He'd doing the local Oly this fall. It will be his second tri. He ran CC and track in college, and kept it up through seminary. His vocation has given him the chance to run in some neat event, like the only 5k that goes around a sovereign nation and a relay across Italy. He's familiar with Sister Madonna and sees her as a role model.
2019-07-15 2:33 PM

User image

Expert

I can't wait. We leave a week from Tuesday, so I'm doing the pre-vacation work crunch now. It's panic time on the IMLP boards. As you can imagine the full slate of panic posts, about the water temp, the air temp, hydration, food, under prepared, do I have the right gearing, shoes and is there shade on the run course. It's funny how we can get caught up in the minutiae and not enjoy the reward of the race. My favorite sherpa will be there with FB live posts and regular updates. Our daughter Sophia is taking a break from school to go also. It should be fun.

This is the only forum in which stalking is encouraged. haha
2019-07-15 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In my former tri club in Eugene we had a woman who is deaf, and a minister. She used to joke that she might well be the only deaf female minister triathlete in the country--a pretty unusual combination! She was (and probably still is--we've lost touch) an amazing biker. I bought her road bike secondhand from her several years ago to do my first HIM; sadly, I'm nowhere near as fast on it as she was!
2019-07-15 3:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

It's stalking time! IMLP and IMMT are close so we always have lots of people at those two to watch for. Love IM stalking!
2019-07-15 3:07 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

It's stalking time! IMLP and IMMT are close so we always have lots of people at those two to watch for. Love IM stalking!

I stalked Melanie from my bike while she was racing! I've also already got numbers for Kirsten and Robin.  :-D 

2019-07-15 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

All the IM excitement almost make me want to do another...almost! I'll be interested to see how you like LP compared with l-ville.

2019-07-15 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations! Sprints bring a whole different kind of pain Nice to see the priest racing. Maybe he can join sister Madonna at a race!

He'd doing the local Oly this fall. It will be his second tri. He ran CC and track in college, and kept it up through seminary. His vocation has given him the chance to run in some neat event, like the only 5k that goes around a sovereign nation and a relay across Italy. He's familiar with Sister Madonna and sees her as a role model.

Haha! Wish i had thought about running all around it when i was in the area - I probably ran 1 mile next to it before making a turn.

2019-07-15 3:20 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I stalked Melanie from my bike while she was racing! I've also already got numbers for Kirsten and Robin.  :-D 

the MT bibs are out already too - crazy early!

Giddy up!!
2019-07-15 3:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs Chris...thank you for the headseat info. That's out of my comfort zone. The aerobar pads are simply thicker, cashier pads that Velcro into the old armrests. I'm thinking the slightly taller height and the squishiness may be the root cause. I hate to go back to the stock pads as these are so comfy, but not at the expense of my safety. Waiting on shop to open tomorrow, but may throw the old pads on for a spin to see if I notice a change.

Yep. I have them in their delaminated glory.
2019-07-15 3:30 PM

User image

I get great joy in stalking my triathlon friends. Those Sunday west coast IM races, though, make it tough to get up for work on Monday mornings.

2019-07-15 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

I have to admit that I love IM stalking. If I start acting squirrely (besides my normal Squirrely) my family knows I'm compu-stalking someone racing.

I get great joy in stalking my triathlon friends. Those Sunday west coast IM races, though, make it tough to get up for work on Monday mornings.
2019-07-15 9:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
At least no one will be stalking me in Asia anymore for the foreseeable future! I was really impressed with all the stalking that did seem to occur when I did IM Malaysia--seems like that would have been overnight here!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-07-15 9:18 PM
2019-07-16 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

And if you swap the pads back???

2019-07-16 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

And if you swap the pads back???

Janyne is right, the easiest test you'll have is to change the pads and see if there is a difference.

2019-07-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There are super-cushy pads you can buy?I might be in the market for those sometime!

2019-07-16 8:53 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities.

Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/
2019-07-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner There are super-cushy pads you can buy?I might be in the market for those sometime!

https://www.ceegees.com/products/?category_id=14

2019-07-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

No, but I don't know that i'd spend money for a hat that doesn't do more than what I can do by putting ice under my hat. I've done that in races - I'm talking to you Choo! I also will hold ice. Of course, the problem is when you are not racing, finding ice every mile or so may be problematic!

2019-07-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

No, but I don't know that i'd spend money for a hat that doesn't do more than what I can do by putting ice under my hat. I've done that in races - I'm talking to you Choo! I also will hold ice. Of course, the problem is when you are not racing, finding ice every mile or so may be problematic!

Yeah I saw the price after I posted. NEVERMIND LOL

at Choo I walked right up a volunteer holding ice and leaned over and stretched out my bra - she filled it without batting an eyelash!

I COULD make my bike route go by my mom's house. She'd do that too!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107