BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-07-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

I have an older pair of Cool Wings from DeSoto. I *think* they help? But only when you can keep them wet. Good for sun protection, too.

And yes, the ice down the bra thing was magical at CHOO 

2019-07-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi kids, I'm finally back on the interwebs after my race and trip.  I survived Muncie 70.3 but did not hit my time goal and in the big picture, that's OK. 

Why didn't I hit my goal?  Slow swim (and slightly long, folks are suspecting); slow T1 because of  a rocky-ish (actual stones being pokey despite the carpet) run up to transition, putting on sunscreen, DeSoto cooling wings, sunscreen not to mention bike gear; being too conservative on the bike, foolishly thinking I was doing a good thing saving something for the run; and then the sh*t show that was the run.  When you see everyone walking at least some, even the most fit-looking people, you know it's brutal.  It was very hot (91 degrees) with very little shade.  Wretched.  People collapsed.  People cramped.  People gave up.  People walked.  A lot.

Why am I OK with not hitting my goal time?  Because I was able to finish the race and didn't need to spend time in the med tent, an ambulance, or a hospital which a fair amount of people cannot say.  Am I happy with my race execution?  I'd say no, but I'm happy I'm OK.

2019-07-16 11:13 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

I have an older pair of Cool Wings from DeSoto. I *think* they help? But only when you can keep them wet. Good for sun protection, too.

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool. So I think I'm just screwed.
2019-07-16 11:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool.
2019-07-16 11:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Hi kids, I'm finally back on the interwebs after my race and trip.  I survived Muncie 70.3 but did not hit my time goal and in the big picture, that's OK. 

Why didn't I hit my goal?  Slow swim (and slightly long, folks are suspecting); slow T1 because of  a rocky-ish (actual stones being pokey despite the carpet) run up to transition, putting on sunscreen, DeSoto cooling wings, sunscreen not to mention bike gear; being too conservative on the bike, foolishly thinking I was doing a good thing saving something for the run; and then the sh*t show that was the run.  When you see everyone walking at least some, even the most fit-looking people, you know it's brutal.  It was very hot (91 degrees) with very little shade.  Wretched.  People collapsed.  People cramped.  People gave up.  People walked.  A lot.

Why am I OK with not hitting my goal time?  Because I was able to finish the race and didn't need to spend time in the med tent, an ambulance, or a hospital which a fair amount of people cannot say.  Am I happy with my race execution?  I'd say no, but I'm happy I'm OK.

Great attitude! I'm sorry things didn't go to plan, but sticking in there and being able to finish upright is a huge deal! Congrats!

2019-07-16 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool. So I think I'm just screwed.

Yeah, i think the sleeve/wings thing do not work well in humidity - other than keeping the sun off your skin.

2019-07-16 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yeah, i think the sleeve/wings thing do not work well in humidity - other than keeping the sun off your skin.

2019-07-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Cool! May have to check that out. The metalwork in my arm is RIGHT where elbows go on the pad. I'm okay on the trainer but it doesn't sound like much fun on the road. Of course, it might play havoc with my fit, too, but if you have spent hours in the past several months riding with your HANDS on the aerobar pads or even (really) with one hand on top of your head, that's small potatoes.

On the subject of cooling, I have been wearing Zensa compression sleeves on my arm (really) to help with elbow swelling/discomfort. Not sure if they make arm coolers but you could check. (I got them at a running store that doesn't have arm sleeves, only calf sleeves and socks. Tried a bunch of arm sleeves at bike stores and they are all too big. I have small arms, I guess.) There is very definitely a cooling property to these sleeves when wet. Unisex XS/S will fit a smallish woman. The calf sleeves won't cover your entire arm though.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-07-16 1:12 PM
2019-07-16 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on your survival! Sounds like the first year of IM Vietnam. One of the pros who dropped out said it was "Not humanly possible" to finish the run that day. (I guess that made all us finishers aliens??) At least half the people in my view at any given time were walking. I remember bursting into tears when, with maybe half a mile to go, I saw a man who had collapsed onto the roadside grass being loaded into ambulance. To this day, I'm not sure if I was crying in sympathy because he was so close to finishing and didn't make it, or for myself because I was going to be able to finish, and couldn't immediately go lie down somewhere cool like he could. My friend (standing at the turn to go behind the hotel to the finish on the beach, with maybe 500m to go), asked me why I was crying and she says I told her, "I don't know." I don't remember that at all!
2019-07-16 2:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Great attitude! I'm sorry things didn't go to plan, but sticking in there and being able to finish upright is a huge deal! Congrats!

YES! Being able to roll with the punches and make the most of what the day gave you is a big deal! Congratulations on seeing it through!

2019-07-16 3:49 PM

User image

Expert

Great job and great attitude. The conditions are part of the race, and all you can do is go with it. (Please remind me of this in two weeks).

2019-07-17 4:31 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

It sounds absolutely brutal, congrats on being able to even finish!
2019-07-17 6:25 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool.

I've had pretty good luck stuffing ice down sleeves - cheap pull on ones (not as elaborate as the DeSoto Cool Wings). I agree that they don't do a ton without the ice if it's really humid. Though they do offer good sun protection on the bike.
2019-07-17 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Anyone else hear that Penticton has been canceled?
2019-07-17 8:47 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Really? A Canadian at Quinn's Pond the other night was trying to persuade me I should do that event!

At any rate, I am not signing up for any full IM until my arm is in a lot better shape and my life in general much more under control than now. (It was SOOO tempting, though. I'm an IM All World Athlete, and got early sign-up privileges for IM Austria, which I've always wanted to do but #1 It's a full IM and #2 It's only 11 days after school lets out in Oregon, assuming no extra snow days (they had 9 last year). Just doesn't sound like an ideal setup.) I might have to wait till spring break to get my metalwork out (just not many workable times before that) so doubt I could get back to serious training (run, swim, outdoor bike) till late April or early May anyway.

I did manage 2K in the pond (actually, it's a lake) Monday, albeit with fins, so I think a late summer and/or fall HIM next year might be back in the realm of possible goals. Just don't see having time for full-on IM training while teaching elementary school full time. At best might manage one in late summer (but where?), probably not going for it in 2020. I think I need time to get back in race mode first with some shorter stuff.
2019-07-17 10:37 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Anyone else hear that Penticton has been canceled?

Ummmm, they took my money this morning, so I sure hope not!

2019-07-18 3:49 AM
in reply to: #5260987

User image

2019-07-18 4:43 AM
in reply to: #5261001

User image

I only heard about Penticton after a local acquaintance posted on FB that she'd gotten an email that the running events were canceled. A Google search says the whole thing is.

Apparently there's a camp there around the same time (I think Jenna Carr is her coach and has something to do with the camp?) that she's still driving up for.
2019-07-18 8:37 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by glfprncs Anyone else hear that Penticton has been canceled?

I was gonna say, registration is already opened. That seems unlikely.

Glad to see that you got in, Kirsten!

2019-07-18 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by glfprncshttps://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/super-league-triathlon-in-penticton-cancelled/#
Ah yes Superleague is cancelled. I don't think it was as big as they had hoped. And last year all the AG events were cancelled due to smoke from wildfires. But they announced that this would be the last year several months ago. They cancelled the half early in the year.
2019-07-18 10:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Originally posted by jmkizer

Thanks! It will be interesting to see how many spots are left once general entry opens...

2019-07-18 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks! It will be interesting to see how many spots are left once general entry opens...

It's hard to know with the whole "tier" system. How bit is a tear? 75? 750?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out (or nearly so) in early registration though.

2019-07-18 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's hard to know with the whole "tier" system. How bit is a tear? 75? 750?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold out (or nearly so) in early registration though.

2019-07-18 11:17 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by awm007

I've had pretty good luck stuffing ice down sleeves - cheap pull on ones (not as elaborate as the DeSoto Cool Wings). I agree that they don't do a ton without the ice if it's really humid. Though they do offer good sun protection on the bike.

so speaking of heat, this weekend in CT we are predicting actual temps around 100 but feels like temps 105-110 with the humidity. This is UNHEARD of here. I'm thinking I can squeeze out 65-70 miles outside Saturday am if I hit the road at 5:30am with sunrise but the rest will have to be indoors. I know all the cooling protocols but I'm still a little nervous. DAMN!
2019-07-18 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by awm007

so speaking of heat, this weekend in CT we are predicting actual temps around 100 but feels like temps 105-110 with the humidity. This is UNHEARD of here. I'm thinking I can squeeze out 65-70 miles outside Saturday am if I hit the road at 5:30am with sunrise but the rest will have to be indoors. I know all the cooling protocols but I'm still a little nervous. DAMN!

That's pretty typical summer weather for us, but i know it's a shock to your system! How many miles do you need to get in?  For rides of over 60 miles we usually stop somewhere half way, cool down and refill whatever needs refilling. The stop is usually at a convenience store or similar place where we can get ice. It's a great relief, but at the end of the day it is still hot as hell! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107