BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-08-21 2:28 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by melbo55

Heaven help me, I just registered for Chatt 70.3!!  

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

2019-08-21 3:06 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by melbo55

Heaven help me, I just registered for Chatt 70.3!!  

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Yay!!!!
2019-08-21 3:06 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

So this just happened. His name is Kokua which is Hawaiian for helper, comforter, assistant.

Soooo adorable )))
2019-08-21 3:08 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I hope everyone has had a a great summer
Congrats to all racers, and good luck to all of you getting ready for Chatt

I just got back from vacation and wanted to see how you all are doing. Have a fantastic rest of August!
2019-08-21 4:40 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 I hope everyone has had a a great summer Congrats to all racers, and good luck to all of you getting ready for Chatt I just got back from vacation and wanted to see how you all are doing. Have a fantastic rest of August!

You know, if you don't have any other plans for mid-May 2020, you, too, could be part of the fun that will be Chatt 70.3. 

2019-08-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Is it some weird anamoly that all of the things you've been using to train for your first Ironman distance will suddenly just feel wrong 7 weeks out from race day?

My shoes don't feel right. My socks are giving my blisters. My shorts are causing saddle sores. My bras are tearing holes in my back. My hydration pack is chafing the underside of my right arm.

I think my skin is just tired of friction, sweat, and humidity and is flipping me the double bird, but I don't have time for this!!!

#endofpityparty #ventover

2019-08-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

Is it some weird anamoly that all of the things you've been using to train for your first Ironman distance will suddenly just feel wrong 7 weeks out from race day?

My shoes don't feel right. My socks are giving my blisters. My shorts are causing saddle sores. My bras are tearing holes in my back. My hydration pack is chafing the underside of my right arm.

I think my skin is just tired of friction, sweat, and humidity and is flipping me the double bird, but I don't have time for this!!!

I've never had an issue with my bra, but it feels like the wheels start to fall off as the race gets closer. I think it's a combination of things, body fatigue, additional use on your gear and it starts to break down, pre-race stress/anticipation. I feel like I get hyper sensitive as the race gets closer.
2019-08-22 6:19 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by glfprncs

I've never had an issue with my bra, but it feels like the wheels start to fall off as the race gets closer. I think it's a combination of things, body fatigue, additional use on your gear and it starts to break down, pre-race stress/anticipation. I feel like I get hyper sensitive as the race gets closer.

you joke but a guy in my tri club wears a sports bra to get past the "no topless" rule. He looks ridiculous.

Hang in there Nancy. And get yourself more body glide and use it EVERYWHERE (BTW, I missed my back and my tri top chaffed the CRAP out of me on the swim).
2019-08-22 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Is it some weird anamoly that all of the things you've been using to train for your first Ironman distance will suddenly just feel wrong 7 weeks out from race day? My shoes don't feel right. My socks are giving my blisters. My shorts are causing saddle sores. My bras are tearing holes in my back. My hydration pack is chafing the underside of my right arm. I think my skin is just tired of friction, sweat, and humidity and is flipping me the double bird, but I don't have time for this!!! #endofpityparty #ventover

Yup, kinda normal. Fortunately, for me at least, everything heals up -- chafing ,saddle sores, etc. -- during taper. 

I'm sure that humidity in the SE doesn't help us any as the mileage increases.

2019-08-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by glfprncs Is it some weird anamoly that all of the things you've been using to train for your first Ironman distance will suddenly just feel wrong 7 weeks out from race day? My shoes don't feel right. My socks are giving my blisters. My shorts are causing saddle sores. My bras are tearing holes in my back. My hydration pack is chafing the underside of my right arm. I think my skin is just tired of friction, sweat, and humidity and is flipping me the double bird, but I don't have time for this!!! #endofpityparty #ventover
you joke but a guy in my tri club wears a sports bra to get past the "no topless" rule. He looks ridiculous. Hang in there Nancy. And get yourself more body glide and use it EVERYWHERE (BTW, I missed my back and my tri top chaffed the CRAP out of me on the swim).

This! I switched to Gold Bond Friction Defense because I can buy it at the grocery store or WalMart (and it works the same for me as BodyGlide brand). I buy it in pairs during peak IM training!

2019-08-22 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

you joke but a guy in my tri club wears a sports bra to get past the "no topless" rule. He looks ridiculous. Hang in there Nancy. And get yourself more body glide and use it EVERYWHERE (BTW, I missed my back and my tri top chaffed the CRAP out of me on the swim).

SMH! So, he wears extra clothing that -i assume, doesn't fit well, so he can unzip his tri top and get down to the same amount of layers of clothing.

2019-08-22 6:37 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

I've not had the chafing issues, but i think it's pretty normal to start having things pop up around this point in training. I think their annoyance is elevated bc of fatigue and anxiousness!  

2019-08-22 6:44 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by amd723

SMH! So, he wears extra clothing that -i assume, doesn't fit well, so he can unzip his tri top and get down to the same amount of layers of clothing.

no tri top - just the bra!!
2019-08-22 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

no tri top - just the bra!!
Okie dokie then!
2019-08-22 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've not had the chafing issues, but i think it's pretty normal to start having things pop up around this point in training. I think their annoyance is elevated bc of fatigue and anxiousness!  

No chafing?! Clearly I need your brand of shorts! My New Balance shorts got me bad on Tuesday! The do well up to about 8 miles and then all bets are off.

I definitely think that all of the things that pop up are more annoying because you just have not bandwidth to deal with anything "extra." 

I also know that my spending starts to go up.  The race will go better if I have this. My training will go better because I got that. It's like I get tired and I can no longer resit All The Things.

2019-08-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

No chafing?! Clearly I need your brand of shorts! My New Balance shorts got me bad on Tuesday! The do well up to about 8 miles and then all bets are off.

I definitely think that all of the things that pop up are more annoying because you just have not bandwidth to deal with anything "extra." 

I also know that my spending starts to go up.  The race will go better if I have this. My training will go better because I got that. It's like I get tired and I can no longer resit All The Things.

I seem to do better with tri shorts and/or compression shorts so I pretty much only run in those these days.

BUY ALL THE THINGS! Nancy - just wait until the finisher gear comes out.......

2019-08-22 9:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Nodding my head to all of these "getting closer to IM race" nuggets. All true. 

Also, for me, the closer I get to the race, the more I have 'Ironman brain.' Which means I forget things and am kind of in a fog - which in the past has resulted in ridiculous events like tripping over my own two feet and tumbling to the ground, scraping and bruising myself up. One time it happened on my "shake out run" the DAY BEFORE THE RACE! Fell on my shoulder and it hurt most of the swim. So... my advice is to pay extra attention to little things (like where you put your feet when you walk or run haha!) as you get closer to the race. 

2019-08-22 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Assuming you're talking about running shorts, I'm a big fan of Oiselle, in fact, i don't think i have any other running shorts these days. I used to wear a lot of Brooks and never had issues with them either, but I like Oiselle better.  For tri specific clothing, I'm a Roka girl. Once i find a brand I like I tend to stay with it, so there is not much variety in my brand of clothing!  

2019-08-22 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Assuming you're talking about running shorts, I'm a big fan of Oiselle, in fact, i don't think i have any other running shorts these days. I used to wear a lot of Brooks and never had issues with them either, but I like Oiselle better.  For tri specific clothing, I'm a Roka girl. Once i find a brand I like I tend to stay with it, so there is not much variety in my brand of clothing!  

I have one pair of Oiselle now. I did notice that they will be on sale at REI for Labor Day ;-)

2019-08-22 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have one pair of Oiselle now. I did notice that they will be on sale at REI for Labor Day ;-)

Oh yeah, gotta get them on sale or they are expensive!

2019-08-22 8:57 PM

User image

Expert

This! I switched to Gold Bond Friction Defense because I can buy it at the grocery store or WalMart (and it works the same for me as BodyGlide brand). I buy it in pairs during peak IM training!

I use Gold bond for the same reason and have not been able to tell the difference between that and Glide

2019-08-23 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Its possible that I've mentioned this here already, in which case....oops!

I'm 95% sure I'm going to change my registration from MiamiMan Half AquaBike to the International Tri. I had originally wanted to do the half aquabike because it was a world's qualifier, and I thought maybe I had a chance at a roll down spot. But then they announced that World 2020 aquabike is going to be full distance (180km bike) and I realized that was going to be off the table. Just not what I want right now. So then the training for the half started ramping up, combined with my crazy slow paces that I'm stuck with as I grind through some Zone 2 training. I know it will all pay off in the end, but it was getting really frustrating coming to grips with the fact that my half AB was still going to have me putting in 7 hour training days. I started freaking out about training, dreading group rides, and basically giving myself a near constant rash from stressing out.
Since making the decision (although not yet actually changing the registration) to do International Tri at Miami, I feel so much better. 30 mile rides are still a big deal for me, so its nice to just think about doing lots of those until they get easier this summer. Hydration and food aren't as big a deal either, so that's another fear lifted.
Totally rambling here, not 100% sure what my point was in sharing all this. But maybe just wanted to articulate that changing your mind about what's best for you isn't the same as giving up. And making an educated decision is always a good choice.
Maybe one day I will be ready for a half ab or a 70.3 tri....but its okay if that day is not today. And its okay if that day never comes. Because this is supposed to be FUN. And stressing out isn't fun.
2019-08-23 9:11 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Its possible that I've mentioned this here already, in which case....oops! I'm 95% sure I'm going to change my registration from MiamiMan Half AquaBike to the International Tri. I had originally wanted to do the half aquabike because it was a world's qualifier, and I thought maybe I had a chance at a roll down spot. But then they announced that World 2020 aquabike is going to be full distance (180km bike) and I realized that was going to be off the table. Just not what I want right now. So then the training for the half started ramping up, combined with my crazy slow paces that I'm stuck with as I grind through some Zone 2 training. I know it will all pay off in the end, but it was getting really frustrating coming to grips with the fact that my half AB was still going to have me putting in 7 hour training days. I started freaking out about training, dreading group rides, and basically giving myself a near constant rash from stressing out. Since making the decision (although not yet actually changing the registration) to do International Tri at Miami, I feel so much better. 30 mile rides are still a big deal for me, so its nice to just think about doing lots of those until they get easier this summer. Hydration and food aren't as big a deal either, so that's another fear lifted. Totally rambling here, not 100% sure what my point was in sharing all this. But maybe just wanted to articulate that changing your mind about what's best for you isn't the same as giving up. And making an educated decision is always a good choice. Maybe one day I will be ready for a half ab or a 70.3 tri....but its okay if that day is not today. And its okay if that day never comes. Because this is supposed to be FUN. And stressing out isn't fun.

This is supposed to be FUN.  If the thought of training was giving you a rash, that is definitely a sign that a change was needed.

No get out there and enjoy your training!

Confession: I really enjoy training way more than racing.

2019-08-23 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Its possible that I've mentioned this here already, in which case....oops! I'm 95% sure I'm going to change my registration from MiamiMan Half AquaBike to the International Tri. I had originally wanted to do the half aquabike because it was a world's qualifier, and I thought maybe I had a chance at a roll down spot. But then they announced that World 2020 aquabike is going to be full distance (180km bike) and I realized that was going to be off the table. Just not what I want right now. So then the training for the half started ramping up, combined with my crazy slow paces that I'm stuck with as I grind through some Zone 2 training. I know it will all pay off in the end, but it was getting really frustrating coming to grips with the fact that my half AB was still going to have me putting in 7 hour training days. I started freaking out about training, dreading group rides, and basically giving myself a near constant rash from stressing out. Since making the decision (although not yet actually changing the registration) to do International Tri at Miami, I feel so much better. 30 mile rides are still a big deal for me, so its nice to just think about doing lots of those until they get easier this summer. Hydration and food aren't as big a deal either, so that's another fear lifted. Totally rambling here, not 100% sure what my point was in sharing all this. But maybe just wanted to articulate that changing your mind about what's best for you isn't the same as giving up. And making an educated decision is always a good choice. Maybe one day I will be ready for a half ab or a 70.3 tri....but its okay if that day is not today. And its okay if that day never comes. Because this is supposed to be FUN. And stressing out isn't fun.

This is supposed to be FUN.  If the thought of training was giving you a rash, that is definitely a sign that a change was needed.

No get out there and enjoy your training!

Confession: I really enjoy training way more than racing.

Definitely need to keep things fun and you rash free!! Sprint and Oly (international) distances are so much more reasonable, especially from a training perspective. As a race, they tax you in a whole different way than halves or fulls; hurt just as much just in a different way and for shorter periods! 

I'm not sure whether i enjoy training way more than racing or not, but i do know the morning of every race regardless of distance or type (tri or running), I question the wisdom of my decision to sign up. With the shorter races the questioning disappears about the time i exit the swim with the longer it last until I'm just about to cross the finish line!  

2019-08-23 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107