BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-08-23 12:35 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

I'm racing to East Lansing to drop off the last of my kids. 24 hours until we are empty nesters! But who would celebrate that. We could have killed someone and served less time.

2019-08-23 2:01 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Its possible that I've mentioned this here already, in which case....oops! I'm 95% sure I'm going to change my registration from MiamiMan Half AquaBike to the International Tri. I had originally wanted to do the half aquabike because it was a world's qualifier, and I thought maybe I had a chance at a roll down spot. But then they announced that World 2020 aquabike is going to be full distance (180km bike) and I realized that was going to be off the table. Just not what I want right now. So then the training for the half started ramping up, combined with my crazy slow paces that I'm stuck with as I grind through some Zone 2 training. I know it will all pay off in the end, but it was getting really frustrating coming to grips with the fact that my half AB was still going to have me putting in 7 hour training days. I started freaking out about training, dreading group rides, and basically giving myself a near constant rash from stressing out. Since making the decision (although not yet actually changing the registration) to do International Tri at Miami, I feel so much better. 30 mile rides are still a big deal for me, so its nice to just think about doing lots of those until they get easier this summer. Hydration and food aren't as big a deal either, so that's another fear lifted. Totally rambling here, not 100% sure what my point was in sharing all this. But maybe just wanted to articulate that changing your mind about what's best for you isn't the same as giving up. And making an educated decision is always a good choice. Maybe one day I will be ready for a half ab or a 70.3 tri....but its okay if that day is not today. And its okay if that day never comes. Because this is supposed to be FUN. And stressing out isn't fun.

I'm glad you made a decision that helped your body and mind, a smart decision, a well-thought out decision.  Like the others said, we need to remember we do this for fun and intrinsic, personal gain - we aren't pros who do this for a paycheck.  We pay RDs for this torture, I mean, fun!

2019-08-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

I'm racing to East Lansing to drop off the last of my kids. 24 hours until we are empty nesters! But who would celebrate that. We could have killed someone and served less time.

I love your sense of humor, Jim!  Enjoy the silence and emptiness.

2019-08-23 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

Just wait til they start moving back home!

2019-08-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

Just wait til they start moving back home!

This is too funny!
2019-08-23 4:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

Or do what I did to avoid Empty Nest - have another kid when your oldest is just about out of the house. Nothing like having a kid under 18 at home for 35 consecutive years

2019-08-24 8:09 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by awm007

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

Or do what I did to avoid Empty Nest - have another kid when your oldest is just about out of the house. Nothing like having a kid under 18 at home for 35 consecutive years

Jim, I remember dropping off the youngest at college. Ann cried...tears of joy. Freedom at last...until the first of multiple returns. Enjoy it while it lasts. Or, evidently, have another like Adam.

2019-08-24 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

that is humorous! Happy empty nesting
2019-08-24 11:42 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by awm007

Racing Manatees!!!

August 24-25

Is anyone racing?

That sounds a bit like hell!
2019-08-24 11:44 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
DH and I were supposed to do a 5k this am. My alarm was set to silent. Out of pennance, i ran on the treadmill and added a mile+ for shame.
2019-08-25 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Proof of life again. I dropped off the radar for a while owing to moving back to Oregon (plus mauled hand thanks to my smallest but fiercest kitty having a panic attack about getting into the carrier--maybe she thought we were flying her back to Vietnam), and then a week's delay until we could set up home internet, plus a whole lot of running errands and setting up house and classroom. Hoping things will eventually settle into some kind of routine but I have a school year to start first. (Teachers on Tuesday, kids the following Wednesday.) My 25th year of teaching. Oddly, I am probably ending my career in the town where I went to college and did most of my student teaching.

2019-08-26 8:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerProof of life again. I dropped off the radar for a while owing to moving back to Oregon (plus mauled hand thanks to my smallest but fiercest kitty having a panic attack about getting into the carrier--maybe she thought we were flying her back to Vietnam), and then a week's delay until we could set up home internet, plus a whole lot of running errands and setting up house and classroom. Hoping things will eventually settle into some kind of routine but I have a school year to start first. (Teachers on Tuesday, kids the following Wednesday.) My 25th year of teaching. Oddly, I am probably ending my career in the town where I went to college and did most of my student teaching.
that is a lot of changes quick! Hope your hand heals fast. How can you possibly be old enoughto have been teaching for 24 years!?!?
2019-08-26 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am 50 as of last week. Actually took a few years off to travel over the years. Some people my age have been teaching close to 30!
2019-08-26 9:36 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I am 50 as of last week. Actually took a few years off to travel over the years. Some people my age have been teaching close to 30!

Yay! Happy belayed birthday! I am August too

This is a lot on your plate right now, and the start of school year is not the ideal, but I am pretty sure you will manage

How are you doing recovery-wise>?
2019-08-26 3:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh DH and I were supposed to do a 5k this am. My alarm was set to silent. Out of pennance, i ran on the treadmill and added a mile+ for shame.

Your penance was above and beyond the necessary payment.  Treadmills, shudder.

2019-08-26 10:20 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Slowly....I think I have relapsed a little as haven't been as consistent with stretching during the move and last week when I was injured/sick and not getting to the pool. Bike and run are pretty much back to normal, though biking's all been on the trainer. I think I could start doing some outdoor rides here as pavement is generally smoother and we have a really nice rural rail trail nearby. Swimming is still slow and somewhat painful. I can swim 2K in open water even without the fins if I have my wetsuit; have been doing 2 to 2.5K workouts in the pool (about 1K less than when healthy) but swimming without wetsuit or fins is still a struggle. Supposedly due to scar tissue getting stuck on the plate behind my elbow which is slightly limiting my range of motion and, I think, making my stroke way less efficient. The ortho and PT claim this should resolve with time once I get the metalwork out. Trying to figure out when that can happen given our school calendar. It may come to having surgery over winter break. Ugh.

2019-08-27 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life again. I dropped off the radar for a while owing to moving back to Oregon (plus mauled hand thanks to my smallest but fiercest kitty having a panic attack about getting into the carrier--maybe she thought we were flying her back to Vietnam), and then a week's delay until we could set up home internet, plus a whole lot of running errands and setting up house and classroom. Hoping things will eventually settle into some kind of routine but I have a school year to start first. (Teachers on Tuesday, kids the following Wednesday.) My 25th year of teaching. Oddly, I am probably ending my career in the town where I went to college and did most of my student teaching.

I hope that your hand is healing up nicely and that you are starting to setting into your new home in Eugene. I realize that it'll take a while for a new routine to get going -- especially since school year your schedule won't really get into the swing of things until next week.

How are mom and the cats settling in?

2019-08-27 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by Hot RunnerProof of life again. I dropped off the radar for a while owing to moving back to Oregon (plus mauled hand thanks to my smallest but fiercest kitty having a panic attack about getting into the carrier--maybe she thought we were flying her back to Vietnam), and then a week's delay until we could set up home internet, plus a whole lot of running errands and setting up house and classroom. Hoping things will eventually settle into some kind of routine but I have a school year to start first. (Teachers on Tuesday, kids the following Wednesday.) My 25th year of teaching. Oddly, I am probably ending my career in the town where I went to college and did most of my student teaching.
that is a lot of changes quick! Hope your hand heals fast. How can you possibly be old enoughto have been teaching for 24 years!?!?

She started when she was 12?  Yeah, 36 seems about right.

2019-08-27 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am 50 as of last week. Actually took a few years off to travel over the years. Some people my age have been teaching close to 30!

Same age group as me! Remind me to not "race" you!

2019-08-27 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Slowly....I think I have relapsed a little as haven't been as consistent with stretching during the move and last week when I was injured/sick and not getting to the pool. Bike and run are pretty much back to normal, though biking's all been on the trainer. I think I could start doing some outdoor rides here as pavement is generally smoother and we have a really nice rural rail trail nearby. Swimming is still slow and somewhat painful. I can swim 2K in open water even without the fins if I have my wetsuit; have been doing 2 to 2.5K workouts in the pool (about 1K less than when healthy) but swimming without wetsuit or fins is still a struggle. Supposedly due to scar tissue getting stuck on the plate behind my elbow which is slightly limiting my range of motion and, I think, making my stroke way less efficient. The ortho and PT claim this should resolve with time once I get the metalwork out. Trying to figure out when that can happen given our school calendar. It may come to having surgery over winter break. Ugh.

Fingers crossed that the Oregon ortho and PT get you ship shape.

A while back, I mentioned to you that I have a cyclist friend who has done the elbow surgery thing *twice.*  While he's a single sport athlete so it's not a direct comparison, I'm pretty sure that he's fully recovered.  This is what he did weekend before last:

I competed in my first Ultra Cycling event (MidAtlantic 6/12/24) Saturday and rode 229 miles in 12 solo hours, which placed me first in my age.  I had a mechanical issue with my normal road bike right at the start so I had to turn around and get on my backup TT bike. This meant I missed the 12 hour group train and the opportunity to draft anyone. I set off knowing I would be riding alone for all 12 hours unless the 12 lead group lapped me. A LONG lonely day to say the least. group.

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll get there. Everyone knows that triathletes are a tough bunch and goodness knows that you are among the toughest.

2019-08-27 10:57 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Proof of life again. I dropped off the radar for a while owing to moving back to Oregon (plus mauled hand thanks to my smallest but fiercest kitty having a panic attack about getting into the carrier--maybe she thought we were flying her back to Vietnam), and then a week's delay until we could set up home internet, plus a whole lot of running errands and setting up house and classroom. Hoping things will eventually settle into some kind of routine but I have a school year to start first. (Teachers on Tuesday, kids the following Wednesday.) My 25th year of teaching. Oddly, I am probably ending my career in the town where I went to college and did most of my student teaching.

poor kitty

Your poor hand

2019-08-29 5:43 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Talk to me about strength work you all do, or do not do. And specific excercises or routines you find help your SBR?
2019-08-30 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Talk to me about strength work you all do, or do not do. And specific excercises or routines you find help your SBR?

Robin, I mostly follow a core routine right now.  Planks and pushups and stuff.  I also spend quality time stretching and foam rolling during the same time slot.  My current training plan also has me doing some run plyometrics once a week.  And I'm supposed to be doing wall squats but I keep on forgetting :-(

2019-08-30 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 31-September 1

Is anyone racing?

Happy Labor Day weekend to all the US-based Manatees.

Hurricane Dorian, head to the fishes thoughts heading to the Caribbean.  You are not welcomed in FL or GA or SC or NC!

2019-08-30 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 31-September 1

Is anyone racing?

Happy Labor Day weekend to all the US-based Manatees.

Hurricane Dorian, head to the fishes thoughts heading to the Caribbean.  You are not welcomed in FL or GA or SC or NC!

I was going to ride in the TourD'apple this weekend. I decided to save the150 bucks it would be for DH and i to participate.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107