BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-09-19 9:15 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by lisac957

Anyone else register for an Ironman this week? Just me? 

oh heck no, not me!

Which race?

Wisconsin, my first Ironman love. It will be the 10-year anniversary of my first IM, and at the same finish line. Gives me goosebumps already.

That is great.

x2!

X3 - I want to chat with you Lisa about the Wisconsin course. But since my motto is #nofullsin2020 it's on the 2021 list. and SINCE we've decided no fulls next year, I've decided I want to do more FUN things like getting back into mountain biking (I'm going somewhere with this I swear). So today, I went and ordered a new MTB. I'm kind of ill over spending that kind of money but when you think about it, I'm replacing a 2007 - so I tend to get my money's worth out of them. What did I get you ask? Juliana Rubion - same thing as the Santa Cruz Bronson with smaller grips, different saddle and smaller grips (I'm told). What am I replacing you ask? My pride and joy 2007 Titus Moto Lite. I bought the frame and the fork and hand picked everything on it. Not sure I have a good pic - must go look. But here's the new one.................
That is beautiful!!!!

2019-09-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by glfprncs Been a bit since I've checked in. Sorry! Been overwhelmed with Hurricane Dorian/Abaco relief. We have many friends in Marsh Harbour, and our Zinky is an Abaco Potcake dog, so we were very worried about friend's safety. The devastation is just horrific. My 8th graders are a rough bunch, and my DH is a bit 'over' my IM training at this point. Doesn't help that he has a pinched nerve & has been in excrutiating pain since Sept 12th. Here's hoping he wakes up on the mend tomorrow. Another 11 days of 'big training' & time to finally taper. They changed the run course again today for LOU, and is now THREE loops. Ugh! Good news is it goes right past the Aloft, so it'll be easy spectating for my family.
It sounds like you are having a ton of strain on all fronts!

We have friends in Little Harbor, just down the way from Marsh Harbor. I ache for their losses. It is heartbreaking.

2019-09-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by glfprncs Been a bit since I've checked in. Sorry! Been overwhelmed with Hurricane Dorian/Abaco relief. We have many friends in Marsh Harbour, and our Zinky is an Abaco Potcake dog, so we were very worried about friend's safety. The devastation is just horrific. My 8th graders are a rough bunch, and my DH is a bit 'over' my IM training at this point. Doesn't help that he has a pinched nerve & has been in excrutiating pain since Sept 12th. Here's hoping he wakes up on the mend tomorrow. Another 11 days of 'big training' & time to finally taper. They changed the run course again today for LOU, and is now THREE loops. Ugh! Good news is it goes right past the Aloft, so it'll be easy spectating for my family.
It sounds like you are having a ton of strain on all fronts!

We have friends in Little Harbor, just down the way from Marsh Harbor. I ache for their losses. It is heartbreaking.

Oh man. It's so hard. 

It's the thing about training especially for a big race that there's no such thing as the perfect training cycle - life happens and sometimes it just can't be the priority. So good on you for keeping going and keeping perspective. 

2019-09-21 10:20 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 21-22

Is anyone racing this weekend?

2019-09-22 10:32 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What is this thing called a "race"? All I do is train, teach, and try not to grow a mold from all the rain. (It may be September in the rest of the country, but it is November in Oregon.)
2019-09-23 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's been a bit since I've checked in. Life.

Nancy, I hope your husband is on the mend soon.

Randee - Bronson makes a nice bike, congrats on a quality ride!

I hope everyone is doing okay and/or getting better, given the recent weather and other challenges.

2019-09-23 12:21 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Today I get to try a bit of running at my PT appointment, and get the final word on whether this really is race week or not. Fingers are firmly crossed!

I had a sprained left ankle, sprained right knee, and a gross scrape on my left knee after a fall during a run on 9/1. As of today, the ankle only hurts with specific sudden twisting moves, both the knee and ankle crack and pop a lot more, and the scrape is healed to pink baby skin all around. Could have been worse! And still plenty of time until my A races in Miami in November.
2019-09-23 12:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Karen, I hope that you adjusting well.

Chris, if you need to escape the wedding chaos, remember that you are welcome to evaluate beer or go on a mtb tour of Fire Mountain in November during the Land and Sky relay!

2019-09-23 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Karen, I hope that you adjusting well.

Chris, if you need to escape the wedding chaos, remember that you are welcome to evaluate beer or go on a mtb tour of Fire Mountain in November during the Land and Sky relay!

Thanks, but someone might lose their mind if I took a weekend off 2 weeks before the event!

2019-09-23 1:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

... and the winner is

The blue and white design.

I'll get an order form up once we reach some consensus on performance fabric such as Hanes Cool Dri Performance or an everyday tee such as Hanes Tagless. 

ETA: We need a minimum of 6.

Edited by jmkizer 2019-09-23 1:10 PM

(Manatee blue and white.png)

Attachments
----------------
Manatee blue and white.png (178KB - 3 downloads)
2019-09-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Today I get to try a bit of running at my PT appointment, and get the final word on whether this really is race week or not. Fingers are firmly crossed! I had a sprained left ankle, sprained right knee, and a gross scrape on my left knee after a fall during a run on 9/1. As of today, the ankle only hurts with specific sudden twisting moves, both the knee and ankle crack and pop a lot more, and the scrape is healed to pink baby skin all around. Could have been worse! And still plenty of time until my A races in Miami in November.

Yikes! Fingers crossed for good PT news!!

2019-09-23 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Today I get to try a bit of running at my PT appointment, and get the final word on whether this really is race week or not. Fingers are firmly crossed! I had a sprained left ankle, sprained right knee, and a gross scrape on my left knee after a fall during a run on 9/1. As of today, the ankle only hurts with specific sudden twisting moves, both the knee and ankle crack and pop a lot more, and the scrape is healed to pink baby skin all around. Could have been worse! And still plenty of time until my A races in Miami in November.

Yes! Fingers crossed!

2019-09-23 3:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

This manatee's flippers/fingers are crossed, too!  And welcome to the Snap, Crackle, Pop Club.  

2019-09-23 9:39 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep...you should see what sounds I can make with my elbow. Occasionally I can crack it so hard I can feel the vibration in my head. (Generally painless or nearly so, sounds worse than it is!) Actually both elbows have always snap/cracked to some extent since I did butterfly in high school swim team.

Work is keeping me pretty busy. I have some tough customers in my class (just a couple, but it's enough!). Manage to get in a workout most days but it's not an ideal training setup for reasons beyond work hours--lack of good pool times/venue (I basically have a max of one hour to swim at any given time and access to at most three possible lanes of a 4-lane pool), extremely hilly neighborhood that is killing my legs and is not safe in the dark due to irregular pavement and poor lighting, etc.

Plus still waiting to find out about timing and expected outcome of getting the metal out of my arm. (At this point, I could probably manage a wetsuit swim of up to HIM distance, albeit not at my usual speed, without hitting the time cutoffs, but....ouch! Swimming for over about 10 minutes still hurts to some degree, and swimming faster hurts more. Plus the bike would hurt as well.) Can't make ANY race plans, even for next summer, until I have a better sense of whether getting the metal out will improve matters. It seems like it should as nearly 100% of discomfort now is not where the injury was or inside the joint but where the metal plate hits whatever is at the back of my elbow--feels like soft tissue. Sure hope this will improve once metal is out.
2019-09-24 6:39 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

... and the winner is

I'll get an order form up once we reach some consensus on performance fabric such as Hanes Cool Dri Performance or an everyday tee such as Hanes Tagless. 

Nice! I vote regular tee but am in for whatever.
2019-09-24 6:52 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep...you should see what sounds I can make with my elbow. Occasionally I can crack it so hard I can feel the vibration in my head. (Generally painless or nearly so, sounds worse than it is!) Actually both elbows have always snap/cracked to some extent since I did butterfly in high school swim team. Work is keeping me pretty busy. I have some tough customers in my class (just a couple, but it's enough!). Manage to get in a workout most days but it's not an ideal training setup for reasons beyond work hours--lack of good pool times/venue (I basically have a max of one hour to swim at any given time and access to at most three possible lanes of a 4-lane pool), extremely hilly neighborhood that is killing my legs and is not safe in the dark due to irregular pavement and poor lighting, etc. Plus still waiting to find out about timing and expected outcome of getting the metal out of my arm. (At this point, I could probably manage a wetsuit swim of up to HIM distance, albeit not at my usual speed, without hitting the time cutoffs, but....ouch! Swimming for over about 10 minutes still hurts to some degree, and swimming faster hurts more. Plus the bike would hurt as well.) Can't make ANY race plans, even for next summer, until I have a better sense of whether getting the metal out will improve matters. It seems like it should as nearly 100% of discomfort now is not where the injury was or inside the joint but where the metal plate hits whatever is at the back of my elbow--feels like soft tissue. Sure hope this will improve once metal is out.

Hopefully you can have some of your bionic parts removed soon. I know that it's been a very long road and a rough year.

Regarding hills, they can say "speedwork in disguise" all they want but they still aren't all that fun

2019-09-24 6:54 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007

... and the winner is

Nice! I vote regular tee but am in for whatever.

Gotcha.

2019-09-24 8:36 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yep...you should see what sounds I can make with my elbow. Occasionally I can crack it so hard I can feel the vibration in my head. (Generally painless or nearly so, sounds worse than it is!) Actually both elbows have always snap/cracked to some extent since I did butterfly in high school swim team.

Work is keeping me pretty busy. I have some tough customers in my class (just a couple, but it's enough!). Manage to get in a workout most days but it's not an ideal training setup for reasons beyond work hours--lack of good pool times/venue (I basically have a max of one hour to swim at any given time and access to at most three possible lanes of a 4-lane pool), extremely hilly neighborhood that is killing my legs and is not safe in the dark due to irregular pavement and poor lighting, etc.

Plus still waiting to find out about timing and expected outcome of getting the metal out of my arm. (At this point, I could probably manage a wetsuit swim of up to HIM distance, albeit not at my usual speed, without hitting the time cutoffs, but....ouch! Swimming for over about 10 minutes still hurts to some degree, and swimming faster hurts more. Plus the bike would hurt as well.) Can't make ANY race plans, even for next summer, until I have a better sense of whether getting the metal out will improve matters. It seems like it should as nearly 100% of discomfort now is not where the injury was or inside the joint but where the metal plate hits whatever is at the back of my elbow--feels like soft tissue. Sure hope this will improve once metal is out.

Sorry if I missed it, but do you have a timeline for getting the metal out? I hope that gives you some relief!
2019-09-24 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Who's racing this weekend? THIS GIRL!!!
Swimming should be fine, although hauling myself out of the water onto the pier should be an adventure. Getting the wetsuit off will likely be the most difficult part of the day. Although I am technically cleared to ride clipped in, I'm going to race on platform pedals. I'm still a bit nervous about being able to clip out quickly if needed, and I'd hate to mess up my ankle at a C race and ruin my chances at my A race in 7 weeks. And then I'm going to do 1/1 run/walk until I see that beautiful finish line. I will likely finish over the time limit, but since I'm doing the Oly and there's a Half going on at the same time, I'm optimistic that they won't pull me off the course.
If you had asked me even two weeks ago whether I was going to be able to race Waterman's, I would have smacked you with my crutches! I'm so happy with how my ankle and knee are taking to PT.
2019-09-24 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Who's racing this weekend? THIS GIRL!!! Swimming should be fine, although hauling myself out of the water onto the pier should be an adventure. Getting the wetsuit off will likely be the most difficult part of the day. Although I am technically cleared to ride clipped in, I'm going to race on platform pedals. I'm still a bit nervous about being able to clip out quickly if needed, and I'd hate to mess up my ankle at a C race and ruin my chances at my A race in 7 weeks. And then I'm going to do 1/1 run/walk until I see that beautiful finish line. I will likely finish over the time limit, but since I'm doing the Oly and there's a Half going on at the same time, I'm optimistic that they won't pull me off the course. If you had asked me even two weeks ago whether I was going to be able to race Waterman's, I would have smacked you with my crutches! I'm so happy with how my ankle and knee are taking to PT.

Great news!

2019-09-24 1:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Who's racing this weekend? THIS GIRL!!! Swimming should be fine, although hauling myself out of the water onto the pier should be an adventure. Getting the wetsuit off will likely be the most difficult part of the day. Although I am technically cleared to ride clipped in, I'm going to race on platform pedals. I'm still a bit nervous about being able to clip out quickly if needed, and I'd hate to mess up my ankle at a C race and ruin my chances at my A race in 7 weeks. And then I'm going to do 1/1 run/walk until I see that beautiful finish line. I will likely finish over the time limit, but since I'm doing the Oly and there's a Half going on at the same time, I'm optimistic that they won't pull me off the course. If you had asked me even two weeks ago whether I was going to be able to race Waterman's, I would have smacked you with my crutches! I'm so happy with how my ankle and knee are taking to PT.

R E L E N T L E S S !!!

2019-09-24 1:59 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

... and the winner is

A vote from me on performance fabric/cool dri thing. I would be wearing this shirt for races and trainings.
2019-09-24 2:01 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Atlantia

Who's racing this weekend? THIS GIRL!!!
Swimming should be fine, although hauling myself out of the water onto the pier should be an adventure. Getting the wetsuit off will likely be the most difficult part of the day. Although I am technically cleared to ride clipped in, I'm going to race on platform pedals. I'm still a bit nervous about being able to clip out quickly if needed, and I'd hate to mess up my ankle at a C race and ruin my chances at my A race in 7 weeks. And then I'm going to do 1/1 run/walk until I see that beautiful finish line. I will likely finish over the time limit, but since I'm doing the Oly and there's a Half going on at the same time, I'm optimistic that they won't pull me off the course.
If you had asked me even two weeks ago whether I was going to be able to race Waterman's, I would have smacked you with my crutches! I'm so happy with how my ankle and knee are taking to PT.

That's fantastic! I am so happy for you ))) Don't worry about finish statistics. Think about the beautiful finish line
2019-09-24 2:05 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by melbo55

R E L E N T L E S S !!!

this is all fantastic stuff.
2019-09-24 2:06 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83

... and the winner is

A vote from me on performance fabric/cool dri thing. I would be wearing this shirt for races and trainings.
x 2 on performance
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107