BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-10-10 1:40 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by glfprncs I think I just packed half of my house in my Subaru. Headed out for LOU in the morning!!!!!!!!!!! #eek #icantbelieveitsalmosthere #cansomeonedosomethingaboutthetoxicalgae

It's amazing how much stuff you need for IM! Enjoy the pre-race excitement, then kill the race 

I know! So much gear!

You'll do great and I look forward to stalking tracking you!

So exciting!!! Good luck this weekend! 

2019-10-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by glfprncs I think I just packed half of my house in my Subaru. Headed out for LOU in the morning!!!!!!!!!!! #eek #icantbelieveitsalmosthere #cansomeonedosomethingaboutthetoxicalgae

It's amazing how much stuff you need for IM! Enjoy the pre-race excitement, then kill the race 

I know! So much gear!

You'll do great and I look forward to stalking tracking you!

So exciting!!! Good luck this weekend! 

yay!!!
I've been staling you on Instagram and am excited as well!!!
2019-10-10 2:47 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

I think I just packed half of my house in my Subaru. Headed out for LOU in the morning!!!!!!!!!!! #eek #icantbelieveitsalmosthere #cansomeonedosomethingaboutthetoxicalgae

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

So excited for you!
2019-10-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
didja see?? Nancy reporting Louisville swim cancelled! Toxic Algae in the Ohio river!!
2019-10-11 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk didja see?? Nancy reporting Louisville swim cancelled! Toxic Algae in the Ohio river!!

I thought they were waiting until today's cold front passed?  I guess not!

I did see this article where the reporter asked about refunds. 

Toxic algae in the Ohio River could force Ironman Louisville to cancel swimming portion

Organizers did not immediately respond to questions regarding whether competitors will receive any refunds if the swimming portion is canceled.

As if!

2019-10-11 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk didja see?? Nancy reporting Louisville swim cancelled! Toxic Algae in the Ohio river!!

Toxic algae in the Ohio River could force Ironman Louisville to cancel swimming portion

Organizers did not immediately respond to questions regarding whether competitors will receive any refunds if the swimming portion is canceled.

As if!

The Ohio River is gross enough without toxic algae added to the mix!  Wonder how many people are looking to switch to IM Florida or trying to find a pool to get the swim in?!

2019-10-11 10:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

As if!

The Ohio River is gross enough without toxic algae added to the mix!  Wonder how many people are looking to switch to IM Florida or trying to find a pool to get the swim in?!

You'd think that Ironman's customers would be well schooled in the whole "we might shorten your event" thing.

2019-10-11 10:56 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

As if!

right? I dunno maybe my perspective was different because it wasn't my first but those people who insisted on a pool swim before Choo were nuts (you weren't one, right? LOL)

but Nancy said "guess it's not a one and done" so I'm calling that committed to a second
2019-10-11 11:10 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

As if!

right? I dunno maybe my perspective was different because it wasn't my first but those people who insisted on a pool swim before Choo were nuts (you weren't one, right? LOL)

but Nancy said "guess it's not a one and done" so I'm calling that committed to a second

Am I reading this right. People wanted to swim a full IM swim in a pool? I get wanting to check that bucketlist item off, but that sounds terrible.

PS - sorry to be out of contact lately. this semester has been terrible with respect to work.
2019-10-11 11:11 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Not that I wish or want any swims to be cancelled, but it feels mildly comforting that others are going through the same thing as we did at Choo in 2018. I'm still not over that swim being cancelled. 

2019-10-11 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

As if!

right? I dunno maybe my perspective was different because it wasn't my first but those people who insisted on a pool swim before Choo were nuts (you weren't one, right? LOL) but Nancy said "guess it's not a one and done" so I'm calling that committed to a second

Hahaha, no way was I one of them! I did meet a woman heading out of the hotel race morning- i was headed for coffee, she was headed to swim. Saw her again on the run- i was on the 2d loop she was about Barton hill on the first (I know this cuz she told me). I wondered if she made the cut-off and thought how angry I'd be if i swam in a pool that morning so i'd have the whole distance only to be pulled from the course!

2019-10-11 11:31 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by awm007

As if!

right? I dunno maybe my perspective was different because it wasn't my first but those people who insisted on a pool swim before Choo were nuts (you weren't one, right? LOL) but Nancy said "guess it's not a one and done" so I'm calling that committed to a second
Am I reading this right. People wanted to swim a full IM swim in a pool? I get wanting to check that bucketlist item off, but that sounds terrible. PS - sorry to be out of contact lately. this semester has been terrible with respect to work.

oh yeah, people were losing their collective minds about the swim being cancelled and the need to find a place to swim to make up for it. I was disappointed with the cancellation, but felt no urge to join them in the quest!

2019-10-11 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

As if!

Am I reading this right. People wanted to swim a full IM swim in a pool? I get wanting to check that bucketlist item off, but that sounds terrible. PS - sorry to be out of contact lately. this semester has been terrible with respect to work.

oh yeah, people were losing their collective minds about the swim being cancelled and the need to find a place to swim to make up for it. I was disappointed with the cancellation, but felt no urge to join them in the quest!

It's always disappointing but you need to adjust.  The blessing here -- and last fall in Chattanooga -- is that you have time to change your game plan. I guess the lesson for all of us is that we need to have a little bit of a Plan B in mind for these events.

I guess we should let Nancy know that the bike start goes really fast.  I mean, it went much faster than I expected it to.

2019-10-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

As if!

My whole group was like "meh." Except for one (because she's a fast swimmer) LOL
My coach was more upset than I was.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2019-10-11 12:10 PM
2019-10-11 1:29 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
and so it begins....posts in women for tri "I'm in Lou....where can I swim Sunday morning?"
2019-10-11 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk and so it begins....posts in women for tri "I'm in Lou....where can I swim Sunday morning?"

Oh geez!

2019-10-11 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk and so it begins....posts in women for tri "I'm in Lou....where can I swim Sunday morning?"

Oh geez!

haha!

2019-10-11 2:12 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 12-13
Stacey - Pemby Trail Festival on Friday
Anne - Cuban Gravel Crisis on Saturday
Nancy - Ironman Louisville on Sunday

October 16 is Anne's birthday

2019-10-11 2:29 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

October 12-13
Stacey - Pemby Trail Festival on Friday
Anne - Cuban Gravel Crisis on Saturday
Nancy - Ironman Louisville on Sunday

October 16 is Anne's birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNE!

Race smart people! and FAST!
2019-10-11 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Am I disappointed in the swim cancellation? Of course.

Do I feel the need to swim a 4200y pool swim that morning OR run 2.4 miles (like a few in my tri club are considering)? Negatory.

I'll be sleeping in since transition won't open until 7:30.

One of my tri club friends made the fatal mistake of leaving all her tri stuff, except her bike, in her car last night. I'm sure you can guess what happened. Her "nothing new on race day" involves a new helmet, new cycling shoes and cleats and new running shoes. I feel so bad for her, but I think we all know NOT to leave anything in our car ever.
2019-10-11 9:11 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Enjoy the extra sleep! I would have been heartbroken at a swim cancellation, but a nice warm clean bay with tropical fishies to look at is way different than a questionable river with toxic algae! Have a great race!

Poor friend! I don't envy her the new equipment. But seriously, I raced a world championships (HIM) with a brand-new helmet (after apparently losing mine in the airport), have raced half-marathons in brand new shoes (just hope she can find the same model and size as she lost), and IM Malaysia was with a bike I'd only ridden outside a few times, and then nothing over two hours. (The latter not accidental, just due to bike purchase timing and weather.) At least she (apparently?) has her bike.... Hopefully things will work out okay with the shoes.

2019-10-13 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5263275

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Nancy has started! Let the tracking begin!
2019-10-13 2:38 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Nancy has started! Let the tracking begin!

I just got home and I'm setting in for the evening in front of the tracker!

She's through 71 miles.....GO NANCY!
2019-10-13 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizerNancy has started! Let the tracking begin!
I just got home and I'm setting in for the evening in front of the tracker! She's through 71 miles.....GO NANCY!
i love the tracker! She is almost done hiking!
2019-10-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Now just a marathon to go. Go NANCY
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107