BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-10-21 1:01 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hello Manatees! My race yesterday went well. My main goal was to go under 2 hours. Definitely did that - came in just less than a minute faster than my late winter half this year. Such an amazing day out. Almost hot, dare i say it. The Niagara Falls race ended up on the same day as the Waterfront Marathon in Toronto which is attempting to be a mega race. It was pretty small and my 1:57 time put me in the top 100 ladies. I definitely enjoyed the course - pancake flat, along a river. It's not a ton of spectators but at this point in my racing it's not what i crave. It's pretty cool as it finishes right next to the falls - and it's a great beacon on the way because you can see the mist from it for a long way so you know you are headed the right way! 

Congratulations!  I love small races for a variety of reasons, so understand that you'd rather run Niagra v Toronto. Plus, the course sounds a lot more fun than running through a big city. 

2019-10-21 2:02 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Hello Manatees! My race yesterday went well. My main goal was to go under 2 hours. Definitely did that - came in just less than a minute faster than my late winter half this year. Such an amazing day out. Almost hot, dare i say it. The Niagara Falls race ended up on the same day as the Waterfront Marathon in Toronto which is attempting to be a mega race. It was pretty small and my 1:57 time put me in the top 100 ladies. I definitely enjoyed the course - pancake flat, along a river. It's not a ton of spectators but at this point in my racing it's not what i crave. It's pretty cool as it finishes right next to the falls - and it's a great beacon on the way because you can see the mist from it for a long way so you know you are headed the right way! 

Congratulations!  I love small races for a variety of reasons, so understand that you'd rather run Niagra v Toronto. Plus, the course sounds a lot more fun than running through a big city. 

It was more for the variety - i actually run a good portion of the Toronto HM course most weekends. While I like the view of lake Ontario i did it all summer long! Plus, even though it has been a long time, i've already done the half and the full at that race. Just didn't excite me :D 

And Niagara Falls isn't that far - in good traffic it's just over an hour away so not too bad at all! 

2019-10-21 2:43 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk CRAZY weekend!! Bummer on the great Floridian. I'm glad to hear IMFL stepped up and offered a discount. Happy Belated Birthday Stacey! regarding 2021......since the announcement of CDA coming back.....yeah I think right now that's #1 on the list....AHEM Nancy..... and everyone else

It would be interesting to know how many, if any, people took IM up on its offer. It's also interesting to note that not too long ago there could not be an offer like that as the race (like others) sold out in minutes! 

Regarding 2021, I have no plans to do another full distance race, but if i did I think i'd lean toward Canada. A friend is about to buy a condo on/near the course and has been urging me to race. No way that's happening in 2020, but if i get amnesia about my promises never to do a full again, who knows what 2021 will bring

if it helps your 2020 decision, I'll be at MT cheering on the bike and run course
2019-10-21 4:51 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk CRAZY weekend!! Bummer on the great Floridian. I'm glad to hear IMFL stepped up and offered a discount. Happy Belated Birthday Stacey! regarding 2021......since the announcement of CDA coming back.....yeah I think right now that's #1 on the list....AHEM Nancy..... and everyone else

It would be interesting to know how many, if any, people took IM up on its offer. It's also interesting to note that not too long ago there could not be an offer like that as the race (like others) sold out in minutes! 

Regarding 2021, I have no plans to do another full distance race, but if i did I think i'd lean toward Canada. A friend is about to buy a condo on/near the course and has been urging me to race. No way that's happening in 2020, but if i get amnesia about my promises never to do a full again, who knows what 2021 will bring

if it helps your 2020 decision, I'll be at MT cheering on the bike and run course

LOL

2019-10-22 9:52 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
in other news.....MY MANATEE shirt came! Yesterday was a cluster so I haven't tried it on yet but it looks good!

Thanks J!
2019-10-22 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk in other news.....MY MANATEE shirt came! Yesterday was a cluster so I haven't tried it on yet but it looks good! Thanks J!

Woo hoo!

2019-10-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk in other news.....MY MANATEE shirt came! Yesterday was a cluster so I haven't tried it on yet but it looks good! Thanks J!

Woo hoo!

Manatee shirt arrived and has been through the wash!

(IMG_20191022_110331.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20191022_110331.jpg (357KB - 9 downloads)
2019-10-22 11:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Jen - your race sounds very fun and enjoyable, plus BIG congrats on a top 100 finish, that's great!  Is this considered a Canadian race or US?  I wasn't sure with Niagara being in the mix.

Kirsten - congrats on surviving your trail race with minimal blood-letting.  Rest up, heal up!

Janyne - the manatee shirts look great, thanks again for designing them and heading up the herding of cats creation of the order!  The blue is better in person than what was portrayed online.

2019-10-22 12:26 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
The next time I entertain the thought of multisport in November, someone please talk some sense into me. This is a loooooon season, and I'm kind of over it. Less than three weeks to Miami, its cold and gross and rainy outside, and I am just not feeling it.
Tips for getting through the last big push when your brain is telling you no?

Oh! Also, some good news....I got new cleats, and they are NIGHT AND DAY different. I'm still awkward, but at least I can actually clip in now.
2019-10-22 12:30 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia The next time I entertain the thought of multisport in November, someone please talk some sense into me. This is a loooooon season, and I'm kind of over it. Less than three weeks to Miami, its cold and gross and rainy outside, and I am just not feeling it. Tips for getting through the last big push when your brain is telling you no? Oh! Also, some good news....I got new cleats, and they are NIGHT AND DAY different. I'm still awkward, but at least I can actually clip in now.

I'm glad that the new cleats helped.

Regarding the next three weeks of training, keep on keeping on.  You know to schedule your trainer rides and swimming and to coordinate with your SO. And really it's just a week and a half of training, the Hot Cider Hustle, taper and travel and then a race to celebrate all of your hard work and then vacation.  So really just a week and half.  You can do that :-D

2019-10-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Jen - your race sounds very fun and enjoyable, plus BIG congrats on a top 100 finish, that's great!  Is this considered a Canadian race or US?  I wasn't sure with Niagara being in the mix.

Kirsten - congrats on surviving your trail race with minimal blood-letting.  Rest up, heal up!

Janyne - the manatee shirts look great, thanks again for designing them and heading up the herding of cats creation of the order!  The blue is better in person than what was portrayed online.

I'm glad that the shirts worked out :-D

2019-10-22 12:33 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice! We want pictures!

2019-10-22 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia The next time I entertain the thought of multisport in November, someone please talk some sense into me. This is a loooooon season, and I'm kind of over it. Less than three weeks to Miami, its cold and gross and rainy outside, and I am just not feeling it. Tips for getting through the last big push when your brain is telling you no? Oh! Also, some good news....I got new cleats, and they are NIGHT AND DAY different. I'm still awkward, but at least I can actually clip in now.

It's hot, sunny, and humid in Florida - does that help at all   In fact, it's 91* right now  I understand the lack of desire the last few weeks of a long training schedule - it's crazy that you can keep getting up and out the door for months on end without (too much) problem, but when you get to what should be a time of lower mileage and light at the end of the tunnel, it can seem impossible to make yourself get the training in.  The good news: you're almost done, taper is around the corner and then you will get to race! Miamiman is a fun race;  the lake, while small, is clear and almost always wet suit legal (don't know how!); the bike, while it will probably be windy, is flat; and the run goes through Zoo Miami! Hopefully, some of the animals will be out to cheer you on!  Keep your eye on the prize, you're going to have a blast!

2019-10-22 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Originally posted by Atlantia

The next time I entertain the thought of multisport in November, someone please talk some sense into me. This is a loooooon season, and I'm kind of over it. Less than three weeks to Miami, its cold and gross and rainy outside, and I am just not feeling it.

Oh! Also, some good news....I got new cleats, and they are NIGHT AND DAY different. I'm still awkward, but at least I can actually clip in now.

I was in the same boat last year with IM Malaysia. The Idaho weather gave out about three weeks before I got to leave for the tropics.... Seriously, what kept me going was sometimes food, or Starbucks treats--pumpkin spice and then finally eggnog lattes. I HATE running in the cold (thus IM Malaysia); would promise myself one at the end of the run. And we'd go out for brunch or dinner after long rides. I was splitting rides between outdoors and trainer because I don't like riding very far in the cold, either.

2019-10-23 6:42 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner
I was in the same boat last year with IM Malaysia. The Idaho weather gave out about three weeks before I got to leave for the tropics.... Seriously, what kept me going was sometimes food, or Starbucks treats--pumpkin spice and then finally eggnog lattes. I HATE running in the cold (thus IM Malaysia); would promise myself one at the end of the run. And we'd go out for brunch or dinner after long rides. I was splitting rides between outdoors and trainer because I don't like riding very far in the cold, either.

Yes, Starbucks does tend to get more of my money in the last several weeks of training

2019-10-23 7:23 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Yes, Starbucks does tend to get more of my money in the last several weeks of training

Karen, Ann-Marie, Janyne - THANK YOU!!! What I needed to hear, all around. I'm really enjoying GT's Living in Gratitude fall edition (apple, carrot, spiced kombucha) so that will be my treat for the next few weeks. I made some plans with a neighbor to meet for some runs, spin with Jen tomorrow, bike rides with Liz, etc....getting some accountabilibuddies can make a big difference!
Also really glad to hear the lake is clear. That should put the gator nightmares in check, haha.

2019-10-23 8:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I hear you. Last year CHOO was 9/30 and that was plenty late enough for me. Can't imagine November.

Having said that, I've been working on my calendar for 2020 and the race I had picked out as my A race and the 2nd week in September has been cancelled. Say wha?? Pumpkinman in Maine was my first half in 2014 and I wanted to go back this year but I guess now with IM Maine and a handful of others, registration has been declining and they decided to pull the plug. It's really too bad. This was a great half.

So I'm open to suggestions. 2nd weekend in Sept would be perfect, lake swim and driveable from CT
I've come up with:
Big George (lake George)
Patriots (VA)
Incredoubleman (NY)
Pilgrimman (MA)
Savageman (MD)
Toughman (NY)

meh. I don't know. None of them get me jazzed.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2019-10-23 9:28 AM
2019-10-23 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Karen, Ann-Marie, Janyne - THANK YOU!!! What I needed to hear, all around. I'm really enjoying GT's Living in Gratitude fall edition (apple, carrot, spiced kombucha) so that will be my treat for the next few weeks. I made some plans with a neighbor to meet for some runs, spin with Jen tomorrow, bike rides with Liz, etc....getting some accountabilibuddies can make a big difference! Also really glad to hear the lake is clear. That should put the gator nightmares in check, haha.

The lake doesn't have any gators. I don't say that about too many bodies of water in Florida, but that one doesn't. Don't know if they keep it cleaned out since it's right next to the zoo -don't want any animals attacked  or if it's too small, but either way, for Florida, this is a nice lake! Plus, even if it did, with the amount of people swimming in the lake the gator/s would have a heart attack! 

2019-10-23 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Karen, Ann-Marie, Janyne - THANK YOU!!! What I needed to hear, all around. I'm really enjoying GT's Living in Gratitude fall edition (apple, carrot, spiced kombucha) so that will be my treat for the next few weeks. I made some plans with a neighbor to meet for some runs, spin with Jen tomorrow, bike rides with Liz, etc....getting some accountabilibuddies can make a big difference! Also really glad to hear the lake is clear. That should put the gator nightmares in check, haha.

Guess i could add that during (H) IM training i was really good with my nutrition, but after long bike Sunday's I always allowed myself to have a beer or 2 as a reward. I used that rather than SBUX stuff as I'm generally a black coffee drinker, so lattes and the like wouldn't motivate me. Beer on the other hand...! 

2019-10-23 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I hear you. Last year CHOO was 9/30 and that was plenty late enough for me. Can't imagine November. Having said that, I've been working on my calendar for 2020 and the race I had picked out as my A race and the 2nd week in September has been cancelled. Say wha?? Pumpkinman in Maine was my first half in 2014 and I wanted to go back this year but I guess now with IM Maine and a handful of others, registration has been declining and they decided to pull the plug. It's really too bad. This was a great half. So I'm open to suggestions. 2nd weekend in Sept would be perfect, lake swim and driveable from CT I've come up with: Big George (lake George) Patriots (VA) Incredoubleman (NY) Pilgrimman (MA) Savageman (MD) meh. I don't know. None of them get me jazzed.

I don 't know anything about any of those races, so can't help! I am signed up for Choo 70.3 and am struggling to find motivation to train for it -luckily, i don't actually have to start for a few months, so maybe i'll find the motivation by then!

2019-10-23 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hear you. Last year CHOO was 9/30 and that was plenty late enough for me. Can't imagine November. Having said that, I've been working on my calendar for 2020 and the race I had picked out as my A race and the 2nd week in September has been cancelled. Say wha?? Pumpkinman in Maine was my first half in 2014 and I wanted to go back this year but I guess now with IM Maine and a handful of others, registration has been declining and they decided to pull the plug. It's really too bad. This was a great half. So I'm open to suggestions. 2nd weekend in Sept would be perfect, lake swim and driveable from CT I've come up with: Big George (lake George) Patriots (VA) Incredoubleman (NY) Pilgrimman (MA) Savageman (MD) meh. I don't know. None of them get me jazzed.

The first thing that popped into my head was Toughman NY. Sept 13, 2020 at Harriman State Park.

2019-10-23 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The first thing that popped into my head was Toughman NY. Sept 13, 2020 at Harriman State Park.

I dunno but FirmMan in RI has an interesting name

No love for Atlantic City?

2019-10-23 9:25 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Don't forget LP 70.3 Sept. 13, 2020!

2019-10-23 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thanks I'll add toughman to the list!
Firmman is done (race company retired)
I heard awful things about the AC swim (and it's ocean swim)

any of these on anyone's 2020 list?

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2019-10-23 9:28 AM
2019-10-23 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks I'll add toughman to the list! Firmman is done (race company retired) I heard awful things about the AC swim (and it's ocean swim) any of these on anyone's 2020 list?

Yeah, AC is in a bay but tidal.  I know the full there got a bad rap for the swim.  I wasn't sure if the half had a better course or not.

Isn't Patriots in VA also tidal?  Kinetic multisport does a nice job so I'm sure that its well done.  Why are you considering Patriots and not Waterman's? Timing?

IF you want Maine, what about Lobsterman? http://www.lobstermantri.com/  Ocean swim though.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107