BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-10-23 10:07 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by Atlantia The next time I entertain the thought of multisport in November, someone please talk some sense into me. This is a loooooon season, and I'm kind of over it. Less than three weeks to Miami, its cold and gross and rainy outside, and I am just not feeling it. Tips for getting through the last big push when your brain is telling you no? Oh! Also, some good news....I got new cleats, and they are NIGHT AND DAY different. I'm still awkward, but at least I can actually clip in now.
I hear you. Last year CHOO was 9/30 and that was plenty late enough for me. Can't imagine November. Having said that, I've been working on my calendar for 2020 and the race I had picked out as my A race and the 2nd week in September has been cancelled. Say wha?? Pumpkinman in Maine was my first half in 2014 and I wanted to go back this year but I guess now with IM Maine and a handful of others, registration has been declining and they decided to pull the plug. It's really too bad. This was a great half. So I'm open to suggestions. 2nd weekend in Sept would be perfect, lake swim and driveable from CT I've come up with: Big George (lake George) Patriots (VA) Incredoubleman (NY) Pilgrimman (MA) Savageman (MD) meh. I don't know. None of them get me jazzed.

The first thing that popped into my head was Toughman NY. Sept 13, 2020 at Harriman State Park.

I dunno but FirmMan in RI has an interesting name

No love for Atlantic City?

Thanks I'll add toughman to the list! Firmman is done (race company retired) I heard awful things about the AC swim (and it's ocean swim) any of these on anyone's 2020 list?

Yeah, AC is in a bay but tidal.  I know the full there got a bad rap for the swim.  I wasn't sure if the half had a better course or not.

Isn't Patriots in VA also tidal?  Kinetic multisport does a nice job so I'm sure that its well done.  Why are you considering Patriots and not Waterman's? Timing?

IF you want Maine, what about Lobsterman? http://www.lobstermantri.com/  Ocean swim though.

Yeah I think we'll be in FL for Waterman's - but that looks good for sure.
Lobsterman is only an Oly (I say "ONLY" but I'm sure Phil wants to end the season with a half).
Patriots I thought was in the same water as the old Rev3 Williamsburg which was brackish and not bad at all

2019-10-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia The next time I entertain the thought of multisport in November, someone please talk some sense into me. This is a loooooon season, and I'm kind of over it. Less than three weeks to Miami, its cold and gross and rainy outside, and I am just not feeling it. Tips for getting through the last big push when your brain is telling you no? Oh! Also, some good news....I got new cleats, and they are NIGHT AND DAY different. I'm still awkward, but at least I can actually clip in now.
I hear you. Last year CHOO was 9/30 and that was plenty late enough for me. Can't imagine November. Having said that, I've been working on my calendar for 2020 and the race I had picked out as my A race and the 2nd week in September has been cancelled. Say wha?? Pumpkinman in Maine was my first half in 2014 and I wanted to go back this year but I guess now with IM Maine and a handful of others, registration has been declining and they decided to pull the plug. It's really too bad. This was a great half. So I'm open to suggestions. 2nd weekend in Sept would be perfect, lake swim and driveable from CT I've come up with: Big George (lake George) Patriots (VA) Incredoubleman (NY) Pilgrimman (MA) Savageman (MD) meh. I don't know. None of them get me jazzed.

The first thing that popped into my head was Toughman NY. Sept 13, 2020 at Harriman State Park.

Thanks I'll add toughman to the list! Firmman is done (race company retired) I heard awful things about the AC swim (and it's ocean swim) any of these on anyone's 2020 list?

Yeah, AC is in a bay but tidal.  I know the full there got a bad rap for the swim.  I wasn't sure if the half had a better course or not.

Isn't Patriots in VA also tidal?  Kinetic multisport does a nice job so I'm sure that its well done.  Why are you considering Patriots and not Waterman's? Timing?

IF you want Maine, what about Lobsterman? http://www.lobstermantri.com/  Ocean swim though.

Yeah I think we'll be in FL for Waterman's - but that looks good for sure. Lobsterman is only an Oly (I say "ONLY" but I'm sure Phil wants to end the season with a half). Patriots I thought was in the same water as the old Rev3 Williamsburg which was brackish and not bad at all

Yes, Patriots in Williamsburg has a swim venue similar to the old Rev3 event.  They set the course based on the currents. Some years it's more difficult than others, depending on tides and the flow from the river.

2019-10-23 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Yeah I think we'll be in FL for Waterman's - but that looks good for sure. Lobsterman is only an Oly (I say "ONLY" but I'm sure Phil wants to end the season with a half). Patriots I thought was in the same water as the old Rev3 Williamsburg which was brackish and not bad at all

Yes, Patriots in Williamsburg has a swim venue similar to the old Rev3 event.  They set the course based on the currents. Some years it's more difficult than others, depending on tides and the flow from the river.

Two fun points, not really helpful for your decision:
I've done Waterman's the last two years, and it is my favorite swim venue of all time.
Rev3 Williamsburg is BACK!!! Its the last weekend of June.
2019-10-23 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Barrelman in Niagara on the Canadian side is the second or third week in september! Might be a little further than you want to go ...

2019-10-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by juniperjen

Barrelman in Niagara on the Canadian side is the second or third week in september! Might be a little further than you want to go ...

We've done barrelman!!

And Laura good to know on Waterman. Mayne 2021!
2019-10-24 7:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by juniperjen

We've done barrelman!! And Laura good to know on Waterman. Mayne 2021!

I think my suggestion for LP 70.3 slipped through the cracks.  Sept. 13, 2020.  Prettiest venue around IMO.  Gorgeous, clean lake (with the underwater cable!), nice little town, beautiful course.

2019-10-24 8:31 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

I think my suggestion for LP 70.3 slipped through the cracks.  Sept. 13, 2020.  Prettiest venue around IMO.  Gorgeous, clean lake (with the underwater cable!), nice little town, beautiful course.

oops sorry!

Yeah Sorry I've ridden the LP course - not a fan! LOL
2019-10-24 7:41 PM

User image

Expert

oops sorry!

Yeah Sorry I've ridden the LP course - not a fan! LOL

I have had the most fun I've ever had at an Ironman and the worst experience I've ever had at an Ironman at LP. The descent into Keene is incredible 7 miles down with top speeds of 53 miles per hour. The 12 mile climb out is a living hell. I think LP 70.3 would be a blast! Not that I would be doing it.
2019-10-25 6:53 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

The 12 mile climb out is a living hell.

:D
2019-10-25 9:05 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I posted this in my log but will again as a little PSA - this time of year, be extra alert for deer, even in areas where  you don't expect them!  Mating season has does running from bucks and bucks acting stupid because they are chasing tail, literally and figuratively.    Keep safe following distances from other cars and keep your head on a swivel watching for critters (eye shine, movement).  Late evening, night, and dawn are their most active times but can be moving any time.

Last night on the way home from the concert I 'goosed' a deer.  It ran out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes, anti-locks pumping away.  We were in a slow dance, the deer and I, and I think I just barely touched it on the back end/legs before it was able to kick it into another gear and get away from my car, and thankfully nothing was coming in the other direction.  Also thankful the car behind me wasn't following too closely and was paying attention so that I didn't get rear-ended.  Heart rates elevated!  I did check out my car when I got to my sister's house and there were 2 little marks in the dust of my spoiler that looked like maybe it's legs had brushed the plastic.  Whew, I'll take that amount of minimal damage!

In case anyone was unsure - the deer was unscathed and ran off into the field.  My car and my siblings and I were also unharmed.

2019-10-25 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In case anyone was unsure - the deer was unscathed and ran off into the field.  My car and my siblings and I were also unharmed.

I am so glad that you -- and all involved -- are OK!

2019-10-25 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I posted this in my log but will again as a little PSA - this time of year, be extra alert for deer, even in areas where  you don't expect them!  Mating season has does running from bucks and bucks acting stupid because they are chasing tail, literally and figuratively.    Keep safe following distances from other cars and keep your head on a swivel watching for critters (eye shine, movement).  Late evening, night, and dawn are their most active times but can be moving any time.

Last night on the way home from the concert I 'goosed' a deer.  It ran out in front of me and I slammed on the brakes, anti-locks pumping away.  We were in a slow dance, the deer and I, and I think I just barely touched it on the back end/legs before it was able to kick it into another gear and get away from my car, and thankfully nothing was coming in the other direction.  Also thankful the car behind me wasn't following too closely and was paying attention so that I didn't get rear-ended.  Heart rates elevated!  I did check out my car when I got to my sister's house and there were 2 little marks in the dust of my spoiler that looked like maybe it's legs had brushed the plastic.  Whew, I'll take that amount of minimal damage!

Wow, very scary, glad everyone (including the deer) is ok! 

2019-10-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Wow, very scary, glad everyone (including the deer) is ok! 

Oh no! I'm glad you are ok!

Have someone double check your car, as I learned sometimes there will be no damage on the outside, but the hit could've damaged something inside the car.
We hit a deer last spring (the deer was fine). I thought there was just some damage in the bumper and lights, but ended up fixing a lot of tiny little pieces on the inside of the bumper :/ I hope it's not the case for you, but just adding a note.

Thanks of remidning us it's the season...
2019-10-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 26-27
Ann-Marie - U Can Finish 5 Miler on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-10-25 3:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

October 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Have a good race, Ann-Marie!

2019-10-25 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Have a good race, Ann-Marie!

Thanks! I'm sure it will be better than last week's 

2019-10-26 5:30 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Mel glad you are ok! This the season for sure. Spring too around here.

Am have a great race!!
2019-10-27 3:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
POL post
Greetings, Manatees! Hope everyone is doing well. I let myself get separated from the pod a while back, but Janyne tracked me down (thank you, Janyne!). This year has been hectic for me & my family - some of it good and some of it very challenging. Long story short, I let things get me off track from my training and I have been struggling to get back into it. My wife, son & I are in the midst of relocating to Durham, NC. She's been up there since mid-July, but my son & I will be in Jacksonville at least through the end of the year due to my work situation. And unfortunately, my bikes are up in Durham because I don't have anywhere to keep them in Jacksonville since we sold our house in August. We're really excited about the move, but for the time being our family life is pretty unsettled. I'm making regular long weekend trips up to Durham to spend time with DW and to network as I search for a gig up there. All that has made it easy to rationalize not training. My immediate goal is to get back into a training routine and to drop 20 lbs. When I get there, I'll set some more focused goals.

On the bright side, I had a front row seat for the Blue Angels show today in Jacksonville Beach (photo attached)...after a workout this morning.

Edited by kbhanson3 2019-10-27 4:07 PM

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1141.jpeg (719KB - 5 downloads)
2019-10-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3 POL post Greetings, Manatees! Hope everyone is doing well. I let myself get separated from the pod a while back, but Janyne tracked me down (thank you, Janyne!). This year has been hectic for me & my family - some of it good and some of it very challenging. Long story short, I let things get me off track from my training and I have been struggling to get back into it. My wife, son & I are in the midst of relocating to Durham, NC. She's been up there since mid-July, but my son & I will be in Jacksonville at least through the end of the year due to my work situation. And unfortunately, my bikes are up in Durham because I don't have anywhere to keep them in Jacksonville since we sold our house in August. We're really excited about the move, but for the time being our family life is pretty unsettled. I'm making regular long weekend trips up to Durham to spend time with DW and to network as I search for a gig up there. All that has made it easy to rationalize not training. My immediate goal is to get back into a training routine and to drop 20 lbs. When I get there, I'll set some more focused goals. On the bright side, I had a front row seat for the Blue Angels show today in Jacksonville Beach...after a workout this morning.

Thanks for the update! We are here for you in whatever capacity helps.

2019-10-28 2:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Everyone

Sorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne.

My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks.

I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all.

I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door.

The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year.

maybe tomorrow...
2019-10-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Everyone Sorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne. My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks. I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all. I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door. The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year. maybe tomorrow...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling both down and unmotivated. Hang in there!

It sounds like May could be a big month for Manatees. We can all train together!

2019-10-28 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Everyone Sorry its been such a long time since I have checked in. Thanks for the birthday wishes last week and thanks for prompting me to check in Janyne. My very beloved Grandpa passed away late in July and its fair to say that I dropped my bundle a bit and haven't really cared much about anything in the last 12 weeks. I've run a couple of trail events with my Mum and E and they have been great but other than that I haven't been running at all. I know that I need to get back to it as I know that I will feel heaps better when I do. I get up every morning with plenty of time to go out run and its daylight at 5am here now so there is no reason not to go but I just cant get myself out the door. The only thing that I have firmly on my race calendar is the half marathon at Ultra Trail Australia in May next year. maybe tomorrow...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling both down and unmotivated. Hang in there!

It sounds like May could be a big month for Manatees. We can all train together!

Really sorry for your loss Stacey - it it is always hard. Many hugs. 

I thought of the 'Work Play Love' podcast where Lauren Fleshman got a question about grief (because her dad died a couple of years ago) and she had some really great thoughts. Not advice but some reflections and thoughts and maybe just commiseration to know you're not alone. Maybe have a listen. 

2019-10-28 9:11 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by kbhanson3 POL post Greetings, Manatees! Hope everyone is doing well. I let myself get separated from the pod a while back, but Janyne tracked me down (thank you, Janyne!). This year has been hectic for me & my family - some of it good and some of it very challenging. Long story short, I let things get me off track from my training and I have been struggling to get back into it. My wife, son & I are in the midst of relocating to Durham, NC. She's been up there since mid-July, but my son & I will be in Jacksonville at least through the end of the year due to my work situation. And unfortunately, my bikes are up in Durham because I don't have anywhere to keep them in Jacksonville since we sold our house in August. We're really excited about the move, but for the time being our family life is pretty unsettled. I'm making regular long weekend trips up to Durham to spend time with DW and to network as I search for a gig up there. All that has made it easy to rationalize not training. My immediate goal is to get back into a training routine and to drop 20 lbs. When I get there, I'll set some more focused goals. On the bright side, I had a front row seat for the Blue Angels show today in Jacksonville Beach (photo attached)...after a workout this morning.

Good to hear from you! Hope the relocation goes smoothly.

2019-10-28 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Stacey, so sorry to read of your loss. 

2019-10-28 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Stacey, I'm so very, very sorry to learn of your grandfather's passing.  Hugs to you.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107