BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-05-21 10:55 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by lisac957

What a fun race yesterday! Upstream portion of the swim got cancelled, so all downstream and only around 1300 yd. Bike was GORGEOUS and run was HOT! I had a great time out there!

My full race report is up here. 

Yay! Was it your first Chatt or have you done this one before? If so, how would you compare it to the previous ones?

I did the full version in September (when the entire swim was cancelled) but first time doing the 70.3. This was my 12th (I think) Half Ironman and I was looking forward to a not-as-hot day with it being in mid-May and whanot. WRONG! High was 89 degrees and full sun. Early summer in this part of the country. I don't think I've ever done a 70.3 in not-blazing-hot conditions.

Swim: All downstream this year, which I've never done in a race before. Current-assisted and deceiving swim times. Super easy.
Bike: LOVE this bike course! Wildly fun and do-able hills. Some nice sections where you can get in aero and cruise. Gorgeous scenery all around you. 
Run: There are no "Barton" hills on the 70.3 course, so it was less hilly than the full. Still a few good inclines on each of the two loops. Not much shade. GREAT aid stations. 

2019-05-21 12:02 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm enjoying all of the race reports! Keep 'em coming!
2019-05-21 12:34 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

What a fun race yesterday! Upstream portion of the swim got cancelled, so all downstream and only around 1300 yd. Bike was GORGEOUS and run was HOT! I had a great time out there!

My full race report is up here. 

Yay! Was it your first Chatt or have you done this one before? If so, how would you compare it to the previous ones?

I did the full version in September (when the entire swim was cancelled) but first time doing the 70.3. This was my 12th (I think) Half Ironman and I was looking forward to a not-as-hot day with it being in mid-May and whanot. WRONG! High was 89 degrees and full sun. Early summer in this part of the country. I don't think I've ever done a 70.3 in not-blazing-hot conditions.

Swim: All downstream this year, which I've never done in a race before. Current-assisted and deceiving swim times. Super easy.
Bike: LOVE this bike course! Wildly fun and do-able hills. Some nice sections where you can get in aero and cruise. Gorgeous scenery all around you. 
Run: There are no "Barton" hills on the 70.3 course, so it was less hilly than the full. Still a few good inclines on each of the two loops. Not much shade. GREAT aid stations. 

Hold the phone - NO BARTON?! No one told me that....hhmmmmm
2019-05-21 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If it is too hot down there, ya'll can come out to Idaho. We had thought summer was starting the past two weeks, but apparently not. Highs in the 50's and light rain most of the time in Boise since last Friday, a bunch of fresh snow up at the ski resort. I ran with gloves yesterday. Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be cloudy to rainy with highs in the low 60's. My guess is CDA 70.3 late next month will be a cool one. (Morning is always cool; afternoons can be anything, depending on weather fronts, sunshine or not, etc.)

I am not planning any tris for the year at this point, at least until I can swim and bike without serious physical discomfort or making a fool of myself. At some point soon, hopefully, I will know where I am living next school year and can plan some run events, if nothing else.
2019-05-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

If it is too hot down there, ya'll can come out to Idaho. We had thought summer was starting the past two weeks, but apparently not. Highs in the 50's and light rain most of the time in Boise since last Friday, a bunch of fresh snow up at the ski resort. I ran with gloves yesterday. Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be cloudy to rainy with highs in the low 60's. My guess is CDA 70.3 late next month will be a cool one. (Morning is always cool; afternoons can be anything, depending on weather fronts, sunshine or not, etc.)

I am not planning any tris for the year at this point, at least until I can swim and bike without serious physical discomfort or making a fool of myself. At some point soon, hopefully, I will know where I am living next school year and can plan some run events, if nothing else.

(75BE91F4-1D8F-40A2-95EE-9D27A362A21B.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
75BE91F4-1D8F-40A2-95EE-9D27A362A21B.jpg (1400KB - 3 downloads)
2019-05-21 8:54 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by Hot Runner If it is too hot down there, ya'll can come out to Idaho. We had thought summer was starting the past two weeks, but apparently not. Highs in the 50's and light rain most of the time in Boise since last Friday, a bunch of fresh snow up at the ski resort. I ran with gloves yesterday. Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be cloudy to rainy with highs in the low 60's. My guess is CDA 70.3 late next month will be a cool one. (Morning is always cool; afternoons can be anything, depending on weather fronts, sunshine or not, etc.) I am not planning any tris for the year at this point, at least until I can swim and bike without serious physical discomfort or making a fool of myself. At some point soon, hopefully, I will know where I am living next school year and can plan some run events, if nothing else.

Ermagawd....is that today?  Yikes!!

2019-05-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes--where's all that snow?! A former colleague who's now teaching in New Mexico (not sure where, but clearly somewhere up pretty high) said they had snow yesterday morning and might delay school start time. And Wednesday is their last day for kids. Wow!
2019-05-21 10:33 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Ooopsss... just a year before I'm moving to CO... and I thought the winter was over....

Your race reports are breathtaking. I hope everyone is recovering well!
2019-05-22 9:14 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by Hot Runner If it is too hot down there, ya'll can come out to Idaho. We had thought summer was starting the past two weeks, but apparently not. Highs in the 50's and light rain most of the time in Boise since last Friday, a bunch of fresh snow up at the ski resort. I ran with gloves yesterday. Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be cloudy to rainy with highs in the low 60's. My guess is CDA 70.3 late next month will be a cool one. (Morning is always cool; afternoons can be anything, depending on weather fronts, sunshine or not, etc.) I am not planning any tris for the year at this point, at least until I can swim and bike without serious physical discomfort or making a fool of myself. At some point soon, hopefully, I will know where I am living next school year and can plan some run events, if nothing else.

That's some funny looking pollen... 

2019-05-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!!!

May 18-19

• Melanie - Got the Nerve sprint on Saturday
  • Lisa - Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga on Sunday
  • Ann-Marie - Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga on Sunday
  • Janyne - Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga on Sunday
  • TJ - Colfax Marathon on Sunday (maybe, maybe not???)
  • Mary S - Colfax Marathon relay on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooo racers! Lisa, Ann Marie and Janyne - hoping there's a mini Manatee meetup in the plan? Its so great that we're really getting into racing season again.
Part of me wishes I was doing the choo half - and the other part of me smacks myself so I remember Barton Ave! Good luck all! Represent!!

Haha! We just crossed the Veteran's Bridge and then turned right onto the underpass!

2019-05-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 18-19

Is anyone else racing?

Gooooo racers! Lisa, Ann Marie and Janyne - hoping there's a mini Manatee meetup in the plan? Its so great that we're really getting into racing season again.

Hands and I got to hang out quite a bit! It was fun!  We definitely need to discuss doing more of the same events. I am counting on seeing her again at Land and Sky :-D

Ann-Marie, I know that you mentioned Zion. Let's also put Mt. Lemmon on the list. Kevin wants to ride bikes out there.

Speaking of Land and Sky, where are we on the Manatee shirt?

2019-05-22 12:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yikes--where's all that snow?! A former colleague who's now teaching in New Mexico (not sure where, but clearly somewhere up pretty high) said they had snow yesterday morning and might delay school start time. And Wednesday is their last day for kids. Wow!

I'm about 15 minutes north of Denver.
2019-05-22 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

May 18-19

Is anyone else racing?

Hands and I got to hang out quite a bit! It was fun!  We definitely need to discuss doing more of the same events. I am counting on seeing her again at Land and Sky :-D

Ann-Marie, I know that you mentioned Zion. Let's also put Mt. Lemmon on the list. Kevin wants to ride bikes out there.

It looks like they are both of November 2?
2019-05-22 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 18-19

Is anyone else racing?

Mt. Lemmon would be 2020 at the soonest. I just put it on "the list" because Kevin is interested. It would be difficult to do Land and Sky *and* Mt. Lemmon at the same time!

2019-05-22 3:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

May 18-19

Is anyone else racing?

Mt. Lemmon would be 2020 at the soonest. I just put it on "the list" because Kevin is interested. It would be difficult to do Land and Sky *and* Mt. Lemmon at the same time!

Ahhh... I didn't read the years
2019-05-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 18-19

Is anyone else racing?

Not a race but 50 mile Holy Spokes bike tour

2019-05-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
My old road bike got flat tire, and it's too old for me to invest in repairs (it needs many...), at least at this moment.
So my partner offered to use his bike for training and racing. Meet a new guy in the family!! Does not have a name yet
This is also the lightest bike I think I've ever rode... (well, my roadie was very old and pretty heavy, and my other bike is mountain bike, so I probably don't have much to compare...)

We need to switch the pedals and adjust the sit, and I am going for a ride with a new nice beast!
Oh, I was also told it would take me some time to get used to gear shifts... this is even more exciting...

Edited by marysia83 2019-05-23 10:10 AM

(rower.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rower.jpg (350KB - 3 downloads)
2019-05-23 10:09 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

My old road bike got flat tire, and it's too old for me to invest in repairs (it needs many...), at least at this moment.
So my partner offered to use his bike for training and racing. Meet a new guy in the family!! Does not have a name yet
This is also the lightest bike I think I've ever rode... (well, my roadie was very old and pretty heavy, and my other bike is mountain bike, so I probably don't have much to compare...)

We need to switch the pedals and adjust the sit, and I am going for a ride with a new nice beast!

Nice Marysia! Enjoy the new ride!
2019-05-23 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 My old road bike got flat tire, and it's too old for me to invest in repairs (it needs many...), at least at this moment. So my partner offered to use his bike for training and racing. Meet a new guy in the family!! Does not have a name yet This is also the lightest bike I think I've ever rode... (well, my roadie was very old and pretty heavy, and my other bike is mountain bike, so I probably don't have much to compare...) We need to switch the pedals and adjust the sit, and I am going for a ride with a new nice beast! Oh, I was also told it would take me some time to get used to gear shifts... this is even more exciting...

Convenient that you both ride the same size bike!

2019-05-23 12:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 My old road bike got flat tire, and it's too old for me to invest in repairs (it needs many...), at least at this moment. So my partner offered to use his bike for training and racing. Meet a new guy in the family!! Does not have a name yet This is also the lightest bike I think I've ever rode... (well, my roadie was very old and pretty heavy, and my other bike is mountain bike, so I probably don't have much to compare...) We need to switch the pedals and adjust the sit, and I am going for a ride with a new nice beast! Oh, I was also told it would take me some time to get used to gear shifts... this is even more exciting...
Sweet!!

2019-05-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk:

I just received an email from Glory Hound about some of the Land and Sky Relay logistics. I'm sure that others who are registered also received it. The finish sounds like it will be cool. I'd really love for Team Manatee to have a team shirt for the photo. :-D 

It's gonna be great!

2019-05-23 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Oh, I was also told it would take me some time to get used to gear shifts... this is even more exciting...

Niiiiiiiiice!
2019-05-23 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Relay Talk:

I just received an email from Glory Hound about some of the Land and Sky Relay logistics. I'm sure that others who are registered also received it. The finish sounds like it will be cool. I'd really love for Team Manatee to have a team shirt for the photo. :-D 

It's gonna be great!

i didn’t get an email!

2019-05-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Relay Talk:

It's gonna be great!

i didn’t get an email!

Forwarded. If anyone else needs it, email me at jmkizer @ gmail dot com.

This is the part that I was referring to:

The Finish
During a recent visit to Cherokee for another event, we met with the folks at Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort and nailed down the details for the race finish.  This is going to be so cool!

Teams will finish on the path along the stream that runs between the casino and hotel.  Each team will be able to meet their final runner at the path entrance and cross the finish line together.  Upon finishing, each team will pick up their finisher medals and either hang out in the finish area - where there will be a bar - or head inside and upstairs to the post-race area.  There you will take your team photograph and join in the celebration with your complimentary beer and food inside a heated banquet hall.  We will have a large screen showing football so it will be a great place to hang out and swap stories with teammates and other teams.

2019-05-23 4:11 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by amd723

Relay Talk:

It's gonna be great!

i didn’t get an email!

Forwarded. If anyone else needs it, email me at jmkizer @ gmail dot com.

This is the part that I was referring to:

The Finish
During a recent visit to Cherokee for another event, we met with the folks at Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort and nailed down the details for the race finish.  This is going to be so cool!

Teams will finish on the path along the stream that runs between the casino and hotel.  Each team will be able to meet their final runner at the path entrance and cross the finish line together.  Upon finishing, each team will pick up their finisher medals and either hang out in the finish area - where there will be a bar - or head inside and upstairs to the post-race area.  There you will take your team photograph and join in the celebration with your complimentary beer and food inside a heated banquet hall.  We will have a large screen showing football so it will be a great place to hang out and swap stories with teammates and other teams.

That sounds fantastic!
I just looked it up and it seems like `12 hours drive for me. If I have no other plans that weekend, and the weather sucks in Chicago, I may be crazy enough to drive and cheer you up
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107