Other Resources 2019 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page

of 75

2019-07-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

I have an older pair of Cool Wings from DeSoto. I *think* they help? But only when you can keep them wet. Good for sun protection, too.

And yes, the ice down the bra thing was magical at CHOO 

2019-07-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi kids, I'm finally back on the interwebs after my race and trip.  I survived Muncie 70.3 but did not hit my time goal and in the big picture, that's OK. 

Why didn't I hit my goal?  Slow swim (and slightly long, folks are suspecting); slow T1 because of  a rocky-ish (actual stones being pokey despite the carpet) run up to transition, putting on sunscreen, DeSoto cooling wings, sunscreen not to mention bike gear; being too conservative on the bike, foolishly thinking I was doing a good thing saving something for the run; and then the sh*t show that was the run.  When you see everyone walking at least some, even the most fit-looking people, you know it's brutal.  It was very hot (91 degrees) with very little shade.  Wretched.  People collapsed.  People cramped.  People gave up.  People walked.  A lot.

Why am I OK with not hitting my goal time?  Because I was able to finish the race and didn't need to spend time in the med tent, an ambulance, or a hospital which a fair amount of people cannot say.  Am I happy with my race execution?  I'd say no, but I'm happy I'm OK.

2019-07-16 11:13 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

I have an older pair of Cool Wings from DeSoto. I *think* they help? But only when you can keep them wet. Good for sun protection, too.

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool. So I think I'm just screwed.
2019-07-16 11:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool.
2019-07-16 11:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Hi kids, I'm finally back on the interwebs after my race and trip.  I survived Muncie 70.3 but did not hit my time goal and in the big picture, that's OK. 

Why didn't I hit my goal?  Slow swim (and slightly long, folks are suspecting); slow T1 because of  a rocky-ish (actual stones being pokey despite the carpet) run up to transition, putting on sunscreen, DeSoto cooling wings, sunscreen not to mention bike gear; being too conservative on the bike, foolishly thinking I was doing a good thing saving something for the run; and then the sh*t show that was the run.  When you see everyone walking at least some, even the most fit-looking people, you know it's brutal.  It was very hot (91 degrees) with very little shade.  Wretched.  People collapsed.  People cramped.  People gave up.  People walked.  A lot.

Why am I OK with not hitting my goal time?  Because I was able to finish the race and didn't need to spend time in the med tent, an ambulance, or a hospital which a fair amount of people cannot say.  Am I happy with my race execution?  I'd say no, but I'm happy I'm OK.

Great attitude! I'm sorry things didn't go to plan, but sticking in there and being able to finish upright is a huge deal! Congrats!

2019-07-16 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool. So I think I'm just screwed.

Yeah, i think the sleeve/wings thing do not work well in humidity - other than keeping the sun off your skin.

2019-07-16 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Yeah, i think the sleeve/wings thing do not work well in humidity - other than keeping the sun off your skin.

2019-07-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eagle, Idaho
Cool! May have to check that out. The metalwork in my arm is RIGHT where elbows go on the pad. I'm okay on the trainer but it doesn't sound like much fun on the road. Of course, it might play havoc with my fit, too, but if you have spent hours in the past several months riding with your HANDS on the aerobar pads or even (really) with one hand on top of your head, that's small potatoes.

On the subject of cooling, I have been wearing Zensa compression sleeves on my arm (really) to help with elbow swelling/discomfort. Not sure if they make arm coolers but you could check. (I got them at a running store that doesn't have arm sleeves, only calf sleeves and socks. Tried a bunch of arm sleeves at bike stores and they are all too big. I have small arms, I guess.) There is very definitely a cooling property to these sleeves when wet. Unisex XS/S will fit a smallish woman. The calf sleeves won't cover your entire arm though.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-07-16 1:12 PM
2019-07-16 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Eagle, Idaho
Congrats on your survival! Sounds like the first year of IM Vietnam. One of the pros who dropped out said it was "Not humanly possible" to finish the run that day. (I guess that made all us finishers aliens??) At least half the people in my view at any given time were walking. I remember bursting into tears when, with maybe half a mile to go, I saw a man who had collapsed onto the roadside grass being loaded into ambulance. To this day, I'm not sure if I was crying in sympathy because he was so close to finishing and didn't make it, or for myself because I was going to be able to finish, and couldn't immediately go lie down somewhere cool like he could. My friend (standing at the turn to go behind the hotel to the finish on the beach, with maybe 500m to go), asked me why I was crying and she says I told her, "I don't know." I don't remember that at all!
2019-07-16 2:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Great attitude! I'm sorry things didn't go to plan, but sticking in there and being able to finish upright is a huge deal! Congrats!

YES! Being able to roll with the punches and make the most of what the day gave you is a big deal! Congratulations on seeing it through!

2019-07-16 3:49 PM

User image

Expert

Great job and great attitude. The conditions are part of the race, and all you can do is go with it. (Please remind me of this in two weeks).

New Thread
Other Resources 2019 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 75