BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-07-18 12:13 PM
in reply to: #5261003

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Sorry about the confusion. I didn't realize IM Penticton was already open.

Also didn't realize the half at Super League Penticton had been canceled earlier in the year.

I apparently have been living under a rock OR IM training in SC/GA heat has impacted my brain.

2019-07-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Sorry about the confusion. I didn't realize IM Penticton was already open. Also didn't realize the half at Super League Penticton had been canceled earlier in the year. I apparently have been living under a rock OR IM training in SC/GA heat has impacted my brain.

Bahahaha!  Well, IM training in heat impacts my brain for sure!  At the same time, I don't think Super League was well advertised, especially not the cancellation--the only reason I knew is because it is relatively nearby.  The only reason I knew about the half being cancelled was because a friend tried to sign up for it and wasn't able to complete the reg.  When she inquired they told her it was cancelled.

2019-07-18 1:29 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by awm007
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

I have an older pair of Cool Wings from DeSoto. I *think* they help? But only when you can keep them wet. Good for sun protection, too.

And yes, the ice down the bra thing was magical at CHOO 

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool.
I've had pretty good luck stuffing ice down sleeves - cheap pull on ones (not as elaborate as the DeSoto Cool Wings). I agree that they don't do a ton without the ice if it's really humid. Though they do offer good sun protection on the bike.
so speaking of heat, this weekend in CT we are predicting actual temps around 100 but feels like temps 105-110 with the humidity. This is UNHEARD of here. I'm thinking I can squeeze out 65-70 miles outside Saturday am if I hit the road at 5:30am with sunrise but the rest will have to be indoors. I know all the cooling protocols but I'm still a little nervous. DAMN!

That's pretty typical summer weather for us, but i know it's a shock to your system! How many miles do you need to get in?  For rides of over 60 miles we usually stop somewhere half way, cool down and refill whatever needs refilling. The stop is usually at a convenience store or similar place where we can get ice. It's a great relief, but at the end of the day it is still hot as hell! 

We had an early forecast that put us in the upper 90's, but the Great Lakes being at or near an all time recorded high has kept things under control. Lake Huron, at least outside of my house, is still in the 50's. Shallow areas are finally in the 60"s. I am not acclimated to the heat, my hat goes off to everyone who trains in the South. I melt like Frosty in the heat.
2019-07-18 1:33 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk so the heat index this weekend is predicted to be 105-110 - and I'm kinda getting nervous about my long activities. Anyone try this? https://icedcap.com/

I have an older pair of Cool Wings from DeSoto. I *think* they help? But only when you can keep them wet. Good for sun protection, too.

And yes, the ice down the bra thing was magical at CHOO 

I have cooling sleeves but I think it only works if it's not humid - it's the evaporation that keeps you cool.
I've had pretty good luck stuffing ice down sleeves - cheap pull on ones (not as elaborate as the DeSoto Cool Wings). I agree that they don't do a ton without the ice if it's really humid. Though they do offer good sun protection on the bike.
so speaking of heat, this weekend in CT we are predicting actual temps around 100 but feels like temps 105-110 with the humidity. This is UNHEARD of here. I'm thinking I can squeeze out 65-70 miles outside Saturday am if I hit the road at 5:30am with sunrise but the rest will have to be indoors. I know all the cooling protocols but I'm still a little nervous. DAMN!

That's pretty typical summer weather for us, but i know it's a shock to your system! How many miles do you need to get in?  For rides of over 60 miles we usually stop somewhere half way, cool down and refill whatever needs refilling. The stop is usually at a convenience store or similar place where we can get ice. It's a great relief, but at the end of the day it is still hot as hell! 

We had an early forecast that put us in the upper 90's, but the Great Lakes being at or near an all time recorded high has kept things under control. Lake Huron, at least outside of my house, is still in the 50's. Shallow areas are finally in the 60"s. I am not acclimated to the heat, my hat goes off to everyone who trains in the South. I melt like Frosty in the heat.

Today went better than last Thursday but Yuck!  Also, coach said run by heart rate and not to stress about pace so that helped mentally.  And it was three miles shorter.

2019-07-18 1:38 PM
in reply to: #5261021

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
With regards to training in high heat and humidity, this is finally a topic I know something about!

A few things that have helped me in SC/GA:
1. Slooooow down. Seriously, throw all pace expectations out the window. The heat doesn't impact my bike so much, but my summer run pace is almost 2 minutes per mile slower than in the cooler months.
2. Stay in the shade as much as possible.
3. While running at first light is cooler temperature wise, it's also typically far more humid. Pay attention to humidity and....sloooooow your roll.
4. Wear a hat or a visor and carry a cooling towel. They really do feel pretty cool when you swing them around and wipe the sweat pouring off.
5. Prehydrate, prehydrate, prehydrate...something with electrolytes. I swear this has helped me the most this year. I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout.
6. If you can get your hands on ice water during your workout, drink it and dump some over your head.
7. Make an ice bandana (out of your cooling towel?) and wear it around your neck. It'll melt at the base of your neck.
8. If you have ice, carry it in your hands on the run.
9. Up your electrolytes
10. Keep in mind that you may chafe in places you've never chafed before. Enter your bath or shower with caution.
2019-07-18 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by glfprncs With regards to training in high heat and humidity, this is finally a topic I know something about! A few things that have helped me in SC/GA: 1. Slooooow down. Seriously, throw all pace expectations out the window. The heat doesn't impact my bike so much, but my summer run pace is almost 2 minutes per mile slower than in the cooler months. 2. Stay in the shade as much as possible. 3. While running at first light is cooler temperature wise, it's also typically far more humid. Pay attention to humidity and....sloooooow your roll. 4. Wear a hat or a visor and carry a cooling towel. They really do feel pretty cool when you swing them around and wipe the sweat pouring off. 5. Prehydrate, prehydrate, prehydrate...something with electrolytes. I swear this has helped me the most this year. I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout. 6. If you can get your hands on ice water during your workout, drink it and dump some over your head. 7. Make an ice bandana (out of your cooling towel?) and wear it around your neck. It'll melt at the base of your neck. 8. If you have ice, carry it in your hands on the run. 9. Up your electrolytes 10. Keep in mind that you may chafe in places you've never chafed before. Enter your bath or shower with caution.

Duly noted. I'll be beginning my hoomid training in about 4 weeks

2019-07-18 1:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by glfprncs

With regards to training in high heat and humidity, this is finally a topic I know something about!

1. Slooooow down. Seriously, throw all pace expectations out the window. The heat doesn't impact my bike so much, but my summer run pace is almost 2 minutes per mile slower than in the cooler months.
3. While running at first light is cooler temperature wise, it's also typically far more humid. Pay attention to humidity and....sloooooow your roll.
4. Wear a hat or a visor and carry a cooling towel. They really do feel pretty cool when you swing them around and wipe the sweat pouring off.
5. Prehydrate, prehydrate, prehydrate...something with electrolytes. I swear this has helped me the most this year. I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout.
6. If you can get your hands on ice water during your workout, drink it and dump some over your head.
7. Make an ice bandana (out of your cooling towel?) and wear it around your neck. It'll melt at the base of your neck.
9. Up your electrolytes
10. Keep in mind that you may chafe in places you've never chafed before. Enter your bath or shower with caution.

These are fantastic tips, thank you for sharing!

As for the chaffing... I learned a brutal lesson during my trail marathon last weekend. It was my first long run with camelback. I decided to run in sports bra only. Everything was fine during the run (thankfully!) but after the race skin from the half of my back is gone... It is so painful I can barely sleep on my back. It is getting better now, but first few days was a nightmare. No matter how hot it is in the future, I will always have a shirt when wearing a camelback (or any backpack) for runs in hot and sunny conditions...
2019-07-18 2:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by marysia83

9. Up your electrolytes

These are fantastic tips, thank you for sharing!

As for the chaffing... I learned a brutal lesson during my trail marathon last weekend. It was my first long run with camelback. I decided to run in sports bra only. Everything was fine during the run (thankfully!) but after the race skin from the half of my back is gone... It is so painful I can barely sleep on my back. It is getting better now, but first few days was a nightmare. No matter how hot it is in the future, I will always have a shirt when wearing a camelback (or any backpack) for runs in hot and sunny conditions...

OUCH! That sounds bad!

Thanks for the tips Nancy. My ride is supposed to be 100 miles. If we're feeling good after 65 we may just do shorter loops around my house. I don't know how you hot weather people do it all the time (Ann-Marie I'm looking at you !

My long run is Sunday and I'm starting before sunrise. Actually it's my annual "Simsbury Ultra." I made a 2.45 mile loop that includes a small dirt trail section and I invite my friends to come do as many loops with me as they want. I'll have coolers with ice and electrolytes and a watermelon for snacks I even made finisher medals! LOL

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2019-07-18 2:31 PM

(67456109_706515399776958_6964282422422667264_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
67456109_706515399776958_6964282422422667264_n.jpg (286KB - 3 downloads)
2019-07-18 6:48 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
2019-07-19 8:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
2019-07-19 8:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk nyc tri cancelled for Sunday! https://www.nyctri.com/2019/07/18/raceannouncement/?fbclid=IwAR3JtNp...

Smart move.  

2019-07-19 8:42 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by glfprncs With regards to training in high heat and humidity, this is finally a topic I know something about! A few things that have helped me in SC/GA: 1. Slooooow down. Seriously, throw all pace expectations out the window. The heat doesn't impact my bike so much, but my summer run pace is almost 2 minutes per mile slower than in the cooler months. 2. Stay in the shade as much as possible. 3. While running at first light is cooler temperature wise, it's also typically far more humid. Pay attention to humidity and....sloooooow your roll. 4. Wear a hat or a visor and carry a cooling towel. They really do feel pretty cool when you swing them around and wipe the sweat pouring off. 5. Prehydrate, prehydrate, prehydrate...something with electrolytes. I swear this has helped me the most this year. I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout. 6. If you can get your hands on ice water during your workout, drink it and dump some over your head. 7. Make an ice bandana (out of your cooling towel?) and wear it around your neck. It'll melt at the base of your neck. 8. If you have ice, carry it in your hands on the run. 9. Up your electrolytes 10. Keep in mind that you may chafe in places you've never chafed before. Enter your bath or shower with caution.
These are fantastic tips, thank you for sharing! As for the chaffing... I learned a brutal lesson during my trail marathon last weekend. It was my first long run with camelback. I decided to run in sports bra only. Everything was fine during the run (thankfully!) but after the race skin from the half of my back is gone... It is so painful I can barely sleep on my back. It is getting better now, but first few days was a nightmare. No matter how hot it is in the future, I will always have a shirt when wearing a camelback (or any backpack) for runs in hot and sunny conditions...
OUCH! That sounds bad! Thanks for the tips Nancy. My ride is supposed to be 100 miles. If we're feeling good after 65 we may just do shorter loops around my house. I don't know how you hot weather people do it all the time (Ann-Marie I'm looking at you ! My long run is Sunday and I'm starting before sunrise. Actually it's my annual "Simsbury Ultra." I made a 2.45 mile loop that includes a small dirt trail section and I invite my friends to come do as many loops with me as they want. I'll have coolers with ice and electrolytes and a watermelon for snacks I even made finisher medals! LOL

Your Simsbury Ultra sounds like a fun time - well stocked with nutrition/fluids and those medals are a really fun idea.  Stay cool out there.

2019-07-19 8:57 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I got my race report for last weekend's sprint up. It was not my best day.

Really good call to cancel NYC...the heat is dangerous, and we triathletes are proven to do stupid things no matter the weather!
2019-07-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk nyc tri cancelled for Sunday! https://www.nyctri.com/2019/07/18/raceannouncement/?fbclid=IwAR3JtNp...

Smart move.  

Wow, first time i've seen a race cancelled bc of heat! Good move on race organizer's part and good move to refund everyone's money.

2019-07-19 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Originally posted by melbo55

Smart move.  

Wow, first time i've seen a race cancelled bc of heat! Good move on race organizer's part and good move to refund everyone's money.

That's the best part. Such goodwill on the part of the RD.
2019-07-19 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 20-21
Mary S - Summer Splash Prairie Dog HM

Is anyone else racing?

2019-07-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Go Mary S!  

2019-07-19 4:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

July 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Go Mary S!  

Go Mary! Have a great time!
2019-07-19 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

July 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Goooooooooo Mary!!!
2019-07-20 6:28 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

July 20-21

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Mary!
2019-07-22 8:14 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Today

Happy birthday, Jen!

Tomorrow

Happy birthday, Hands!

2019-07-22 8:51 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Today

Happy birthday, Jen!

Tomorrow

Happy birthday, Hands!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

2019-07-22 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Today

Happy birthday, Jen!

Tomorrow

Happy birthday, Hands!

Happy bday Jen!

2019-07-22 2:03 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout. 

Interested in the benefits of the tart cherry juice. I have always read that it helps to promote sleep. It is a good source of electrolytes? Clearly it doesn't make you sleep if you take it before your workout?

2019-07-22 2:10 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I mix together 8 oz water, 8 oz coconut water, 4 oz tart cherry juice, 1/4 t pink salt, 1 T blackstrap molasses. I drink half the night before and the other half an hour prior to my workout. 

Interested in the benefits of the tart cherry juice. I have always read that it helps to promote sleep. It is a good source of electrolytes? Clearly it doesn't make you sleep if you take it before your workout?

I think that tart cherry juice is supposed to be an anti inflammatory.  What's not clear to me is how these studies were conducted or who funded them.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107