BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-12-26 5:57 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by alicefoeller This is our annual public service announcement! :-) Your mentor thread will be moved the Archive at the end of the month. Mentors are invited to start a new thread for 2020 in the Staging Area. Thank you! Happy Holidays from BT!

I'll take care of the new thread this week.  We have a meetup in May so I know we're gonna continue :-D

Have a great holiday, everyone!

Do we have a motto for 2020?  2019 was Practice Maximum Enthusiasm.

For a thread name, I was thinking Manatees Roar into the 20s.   

We also need to discuss our ground rules. In the past, we have said that keeping your training log on BT is mandatory. That is becoming increasingly difficult for our members.  Maybe say "or post a link to your Strava training log on your BT dashboard."  You know, until such time that BT actually imports stuff form Wahoo, Sufferfest, Zwift, and so on and soforth.  I think that keeping some text in your BT training log is a good thing but that's just me.  Thoughts?

Haha, very clever thread name!

i agree that posting all workouts in BT can be a PITA ! I don’t understand why I can get all my different platforms imported to Strava and TP, but BT seems to only like Garmin! 
I do like the blog portion of BT though. In fact, just recently I was able to look back 4 years to compare a current injury with a past one  I also like reading what others are up to v just seeing the metrics of workouts. That function I think helps keep us a bit more connected than we’d otherwise be.

Happy bday Janyne!

OK, so maybe ask for the training log (metrics) and/or training blog (words) be in BT.  If not posting workouts to BT, then post a link to where we can see it (Strava, etc.) in your Dashboard.  How does that sound?

what about the manatee strava group - can we just do something off of that?
Would we also move the discussion from BT to the Strava forum? I admit that I have some concerns about the future of BT. I really love the blogging aspect and the inspires, which I feel are unique to BT. It looks like there are only a handful of active mentor groups on here, and I just saw where the Gray Guys and Gals is coming to an end.

I have concerns about the future of both BT and Strava. Do you listen to the FIT Files podcast? They indicated that if Strava doesn't start to make some money in the next 8 months or so, they may be in deep trouble.

At any rate, we had a somewhat half hearted try to move some discussion to Strava once before and that didn't take. If necessary, we'll figure something out.

I'll listen to the podcast tonight, thanks for the link! Hopefully both platforms stick around for a while. I'm in several Strava clubs and the forums don't seem to be utilized in any of them. They seem to default to Facebook. My vote would be to stay on BT. I don't contribute much but I do enjoy skimming through the threads to see what everyone is up to.

I agree, hopefully both BT and Strava will stay around!

I couldn't tell from the show notes what episode it was or I'd have linked directly to it. Probably the Strava CEO one?

2019-12-26 5:58 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Also guilty of not uploading workouts lately....sick for last two weeks with cold/sinus infection and haven't been training, just trying to get well enough for surgery. Good news is the metalwork in my elbow is now OUT as of about two hours ago! So far not too painful but will see how it goes when local wears off. OMG I hope I never have to repeat this sucky nearly year-long experience!

I hope the surgery goes well!

2019-12-26 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hoping once I can get back to running (2-3 weeks post-op) that I can get in workday runs more consistently. I got Mom and I a treadmill for Xmas that comes with a membership to something called I-fit--they have a library of hundreds (thousands?) of virtual workouts all over the world--bike, run, walk, etc. Unfortunately it only seems to run if you have the corresponding Nordic-Trac treadmill, cycle, or whatever. Wish I could get the bike ones to play on a laptop so I could watch them on the trainer, but haven't been able to get it to work. The treadmill version is like a Computrainer for running (it adjusts your pace and incline, but you can override it manually), plus lots of virtual walks and hikes. It's not the great outdoors, but makes the time pass a little more enjoyably for bad weather or early-morning runs. So far I have "run" or walked in Indonesia, Austria, and Costa Rica and Mom in Bolivia!

Nice! I know that my mom moved to the treadmill for her walking a few years ago because of the even surface.  No cracks to trip on or whatever.

2019-12-26 6:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It has gone....all metal is OUT as of about 1 PM. Surgery took less time than to start the IV--for some reason my hands were freezing...anxiety, cold weather, dehydrated from cold and fasting?...and they couldn't get a line going for what seemed like forever! So far not much pain, just sleepy. Supposedly the local should be worn off completely in a few hours, but my body can be weird with meds. Hoping it's not like last time!
2019-12-26 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I didn't even know Strava had an option for discussion groups.

Whatever workouts I do automatically sync to Strava & BT, so either works for me.

Been under the weather the last few days, so signed up for 2 races today. LOL.
2019-12-27 12:36 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

My workouts also automatically sync.  I have to say, I don't really 'blog' anywhere--just upload my workouts and maybe rarely put a comment in Trainingpeaks. I do follow along with all the posts in our forum, just don't post a ton.  Not for lack of interest, but time.  For that reason, I'm not sure I am entitled to a vote, but would hate to see the forum die!

2019-12-27 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I think that the options are limited, due to what Anne mentioned, Facebook. I think the Facebookification of the internet has led to a drastic reduction of forums and such. Forum type communications only seem to be found in real niche areas. For example, the camping group I am in is for owners of the same camper as I. Not many folks there, but we all have the same issues. Same as here. And we have taken this group to another whole level, defining "mentor" a bit differently than others. I agree with Janyne, stay here and ride it as far as it'll go. Other options just don't do what I think we are after, but we should continue to use those other options as well.

Maybe our "growth plan" is to target long time BT users that aren't in our group, rather than new members. These are the folks with the same concerns and are in the same place as us. Just a thought. I don't want to move the tri focused discussions away from the main forums, but the personal interactions and relationship stuff is better served in a place like this. 

2019-12-27 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

It has gone....all metal is OUT as of about 1 PM. Surgery took less time than to start the IV--for some reason my hands were freezing...anxiety, cold weather, dehydrated from cold and fasting?...and they couldn't get a line going for what seemed like forever! So far not much pain, just sleepy. Supposedly the local should be worn off completely in a few hours, but my body can be weird with meds. Hoping it's not like last time!

Congratulations on getting all the metal out!
2019-12-27 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner It has gone....all metal is OUT as of about 1 PM. Surgery took less time than to start the IV--for some reason my hands were freezing...anxiety, cold weather, dehydrated from cold and fasting?...and they couldn't get a line going for what seemed like forever! So far not much pain, just sleepy. Supposedly the local should be worn off completely in a few hours, but my body can be weird with meds. Hoping it's not like last time!
Congratulations on getting all the metal out!

Yes, I'm sure it's a big relief!

2019-12-27 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner It has gone....all metal is OUT as of about 1 PM. Surgery took less time than to start the IV--for some reason my hands were freezing...anxiety, cold weather, dehydrated from cold and fasting?...and they couldn't get a line going for what seemed like forever! So far not much pain, just sleepy. Supposedly the local should be worn off completely in a few hours, but my body can be weird with meds. Hoping it's not like last time!

I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a most excellent 2020.

2019-12-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

My workouts also automatically sync.  I have to say, I don't really 'blog' anywhere--just upload my workouts and maybe rarely put a comment in Trainingpeaks. I do follow along with all the posts in our forum, just don't post a ton.  Not for lack of interest, but time.  For that reason, I'm not sure I am entitled to a vote, but would hate to see the forum die!

Don't be silly -- everyone gets a vote.

2019-12-27 8:41 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I think that the options are limited, due to what Anne mentioned, Facebook. I think the Facebookification of the internet has led to a drastic reduction of forums and such. Forum type communications only seem to be found in real niche areas. For example, the camping group I am in is for owners of the same camper as I. Not many folks there, but we all have the same issues. Same as here. And we have taken this group to another whole level, defining "mentor" a bit differently than others. I agree with Janyne, stay here and ride it as far as it'll go. Other options just don't do what I think we are after, but we should continue to use those other options as well.

Maybe our "growth plan" is to target long time BT users that aren't in our group, rather than new members. These are the folks with the same concerns and are in the same place as us. Just a thought. I don't want to move the tri focused discussions away from the main forums, but the personal interactions and relationship stuff is better served in a place like this. 

Good though, Chris! Maybe we can post on a few of the main forums welcoming new Manatees?  OK, I guess the only "main forum" right now are TriTalk and Cup of Joe and Challenge Me...

2019-12-27 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I spent over a year in a work environment that blocked BT, and the mobile version was not conducive to keeping up with the Pod. I've been able to be active again this year, but for how long until infosec bans it again? I love that I can look back on blog entries of mine from 2005 through now. What a righteous little jerk I was! :D
In other news....we submitted an offer on a house! omgomgomgomgomg is it normal to have horrible anxiety at this point? Its like buyers remorse combined with cold feet, all while simultaneously redecorating the house with our own furniture. Aghhhhhh!
2019-12-27 9:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Fingers crossed the pain is minimal and the healing continues nicely!

2019-12-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia I spent over a year in a work environment that blocked BT, and the mobile version was not conducive to keeping up with the Pod. I've been able to be active again this year, but for how long until infosec bans it again? I love that I can look back on blog entries of mine from 2005 through now. What a righteous little jerk I was! :D In other news....we submitted an offer on a house! omgomgomgomgomg is it normal to have horrible anxiety at this point? Its like buyers remorse combined with cold feet, all while simultaneously redecorating the house with our own furniture. Aghhhhhh!

Congratulations! A house (or houses) is generally the biggest purchase you'll ever make, so being anxious is normal! once you close and move in all will be forgotten.

2019-12-27 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I just went out to the main forums after reading this a bit and found something from Alice about "Local Groups". It looks sort of like our model with a geographic focus. I have struggled with us being in the Mentor Group area, since we aren't really a mentor group. Yet, we are multi-state, heck multi-country, so the geographic model doesn't work for us either. This little engine keeps moving down the tracks.

2019-12-27 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Karen - Congrats on getting metal things out of your body. It has been a long haul for you, I'm sure. 

Laura - Good Luck with the house purchase. It is a big step and the way you are feeling now ebbs and flows after purchase. 

2019-12-27 1:17 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

I just went out to the main forums after reading this a bit and found something from Alice about "Local Groups". It looks sort of like our model with a geographic focus. I have struggled with us being in the Mentor Group area, since we aren't really a mentor group. Yet, we are multi-state, heck multi-country, so the geographic model doesn't work for us either. This little engine keeps moving down the tracks.

I think no matter what happens we need a backup plan in case we wake up one day and BT is gone. I think most of us are either connected on FB and/or Strava - if you're not....find one of us!!
2019-12-27 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia I spent over a year in a work environment that blocked BT, and the mobile version was not conducive to keeping up with the Pod. I've been able to be active again this year, but for how long until infosec bans it again? I love that I can look back on blog entries of mine from 2005 through now. What a righteous little jerk I was! :D In other news....we submitted an offer on a house! omgomgomgomgomg is it normal to have horrible anxiety at this point? Its like buyers remorse combined with cold feet, all while simultaneously redecorating the house with our own furniture. Aghhhhhh!

A house! Woo hoo!

Yes, it is normal. 

2019-12-27 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, very normal. Went through that twice this past summer--we bid on one place (that would have involved considerable downsizing from our already downsized place in Idaho), had lots of second thoughts and cold feet and decorating plans, then ended up backing out of that bid when the inspection revealed too many issues. Then we ended up bidding and eventually closing on our "second choice" place (which is the same size as the previous house) without being able to go back and look at it again.

Still having second thoughts sometimes. It's a great house, but neither design nor location are as ideal as our place in Idaho--the house is single level, but accessed only by 12-15 steps (inside or out) and at the end of a shared driveway off of a steep hill (which means quiet, but a hike out to the mailbox or to put out the garbage cans). Hope that doesn't become a big issue for at least a few more years--so far Mom's in good shape. And the whole reason for the move was my job. Neither of us particularly liked Idaho's weather or politics (that move was Dad's idea) but it was a very elder-friendly community with a small park, library, stores, gym, post office, cafes all within flat, safe 5-20 minute walks or a 5-minute drive, and I feel bad for putting Mom through a big move at her age. Keep asking myself if it was worth it, and hoping things work out long-term.
2019-12-28 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The NEW THREAD IS LIVE.

Let's move the party over there.

2019-12-30 8:41 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

It will all be OK with your house!  Some stress is understandable, it's a big undertaking but I know you will find a way to take on the challenge and overcome the anxiety.  Congratulations, that's very exciting news!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107