BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by lisac957

Re: Smart Trainer conversation

I'm more of a Trainer Road gal. I tried Zwift for a few weeks, but since I'm 100% not a competitive person, the "group" aspect just made me feel really bad about myself. I know I'm a slower cyclist and don't need to be reminded of it by "real people" zipping by me on the screen. It's the same feeling I got when I tried a spin class where they projected your power score on a big screen real-time and rank you with everyone else in the class. My very first class I came in dead last out of everyone in the room. I was so embarrassed and never went back. Not motivating for me in the least, but I definitely see the appeal for that type of training environment if you are wired to be competitive.

that is why i am leaning towards sufferfest. I dont need any more reminders of how slow i am.

I've heard really good things about both Sufferfest and Trainer Road. The annual cost for Sufferfest seems pretty reasonable, especially when you consider that it includes some side items like yoga that I would use. I mean, you could pay that much a year just for the yoga.

2019-01-15 1:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by lisac957

Re: Smart Trainer conversation

I'm more of a Trainer Road gal. I tried Zwift for a few weeks, but since I'm 100% not a competitive person, the "group" aspect just made me feel really bad about myself. I know I'm a slower cyclist and don't need to be reminded of it by "real people" zipping by me on the screen. It's the same feeling I got when I tried a spin class where they projected your power score on a big screen real-time and rank you with everyone else in the class. My very first class I came in dead last out of everyone in the room. I was so embarrassed and never went back. Not motivating for me in the least, but I definitely see the appeal for that type of training environment if you are wired to be competitive.

that is why i am leaning towards sufferfest. I dont need any more reminders of how slow i am.

I've heard really good things about both Sufferfest and Trainer Road. The annual cost for Sufferfest seems pretty reasonable, especially when you consider that it includes some side items like yoga that I would use. I mean, you could pay that much a year just for the yoga.

I've also been intrigued by Sufferfest. This video was pretty useful in comparing it to Zwift. The video implies that Sufferfest is better equipped to optimize a training plan to the user. Like Janyne, I tend to prefer the Zwift workouts where you are mostly watching your own power but can see others nearby in the virtual world.
2019-01-15 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No one has goals for the year?!

OK, I'll go first

• Stronger core - strength train at least twice a week --Strength train an average of at least twice a week over the course of the year. By this I mean a workout of at least 15-20 minutes at least twice a week. The workout could be the RDP core workout, the functional strength workout, a TRX-style workout, etc. I don't want Body Comp to be a focus for the year. I think it would be more useful for me to focus on strength.
  • Stay on top of PT exercises
  • More fun! Ride with friends!
  • Pump up the volume! (as compared to 2017-2018)
  • Try something new - new venue, new event. (maybe a trail run? or a new-to-me mountain ride?)
  • Event related goals, other than the try something new one, is have a specific time in mind for Myrtle Beach. To reach this goal, I have loaded the Advanced Marathon Plan [balanced] and completed all of the workouts to the best of my ability.
  • I don't really have specific time goals for Chattanooga or Lake Logan. Well, it would be really nice to come in at sub 6:15 at Lake Logan. (2016 - 6:22, 2017 - 6:09, 2018 - 6:34)
  • Other stuff that I wrote down but don't have a good way to measure: Mental toughness. BE MORE EPIC.
2019-01-15 2:05 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

OK, I'll go first

• Stronger core - strength train at least twice a week --Strength train an average of at least twice a week over the course of the year. By this I mean a workout of at least 15-20 minutes at least twice a week. The workout could be the RDP core workout, the functional strength workout, a TRX-style workout, etc. I don't want Body Comp to be a focus for the year. I think it would be more useful for me to focus on strength.
  • Try something new - new venue, new event. (maybe a trail run? or a new-to-me mountain ride?)
  • Event related goals, other than the try something new one, is have a specific time in mind for Myrtle Beach. To reach this goal, I have loaded the Advanced Marathon Plan [balanced] and completed all of the workouts to the best of my ability.
  • I don't really have specific time goals for Chattanooga or Lake Logan. Well, it would be really nice to come in at sub 6:15 at Lake Logan. (2016 - 6:22, 2017 - 6:09, 2018 - 6:34)
  • Other stuff that I wrote down but don't have a good way to measure: Mental toughness. BE MORE EPIC.

You've never tried trail runs???? You should!!! It's sooooo much fun )))))
2019-01-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

OK, I'll go first

You've never tried trail runs???? You should!!! It's sooooo much fun )))))

I am a klutz.

2019-01-15 2:14 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
My 2019 Training Goals:

1. Strength: I need stronger core for all my disciplines: swim, bike, run (triathlon and long distance focus), rock climbing, and mtb.I plan to do core routine 3 times per week, and 1- minute planks 2-3 times per week (on the days that don't have core routine). Be able to do pull-up (or 3..!)

2. Stronger legs: once again, I need those for all triathlon disciplines, and I also noticed how stronger legs are necessary to improve my climbing technique. Legs routine 3 times per week. Taking stairs whenever possible.

3. Discipline specific goals are:
- my first 70.3 (this is huge deal for me, especially given a year of no swimming)
- if I do marathon on the road, then beat my record (currently 4:55)
- half marathon PR (currently 2:08)
- lead climb 5.11c (for which I need the core and legs from goal #1)

I think this is enough for at least the first half of the year.

2019-01-15 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK, I'll go first

Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

While I joke about a lot in life, this one is actually pretty high up on my list. I have a friend (Walt) that I ride with who is just enthused about everything. Genuinely enjoys whatever moment he is in. While I don't believe I will ever reach Walt-like proportions, if I can even find a percentage of his enthusiasm, I will call 2019 a success. And the reason behind that being my goal is simple as well. I have found that work and life are quite often a mindless shuffle, from one thing to the next, checking items off the list, getting things done. For example, I don't want to ride a bike for the sake of riding a bike. I want it to take me places. Whether those places are open natural areas that bring wonder and awe, or places that open my mind and heart. Will I do the spring TT series, of course I will. But not to simply put my head down and pedal, I will put my head down and pedal while I open my eyes and ears to the people and world around me. One of the guys that is there is 70+ and can easily crush most of the people riding. I want to know more about what drives him, how he became the way he is. I want to be more enthused about the people around me.

Sorry if that is a bit deep and metaphysical, but it is one of my highest goals for the year.

From a physical standpoint, I want to run again, ride better, and do a few events that push me to better physical condition.

Oh yeah, I wanna crush all Manatees in the weight loss challenge  

2019-01-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

OK, I'll go first

While I joke about a lot in life, this one is actually pretty high up on my list. I have a friend (Walt) that I ride with who is just enthused about everything. Genuinely enjoys whatever moment he is in. While I don't believe I will ever reach Walt-like proportions, if I can even find a percentage of his enthusiasm, I will call 2019 a success. And the reason behind that being my goal is simple as well. I have found that work and life are quite often a mindless shuffle, from one thing to the next, checking items off the list, getting things done. For example, I don't want to ride a bike for the sake of riding a bike. I want it to take me places. Whether those places are open natural areas that bring wonder and awe, or places that open my mind and heart. Will I do the spring TT series, of course I will. But not to simply put my head down and pedal, I will put my head down and pedal while I open my eyes and ears to the people and world around me. One of the guys that is there is 70+ and can easily crush most of the people riding. I want to know more about what drives him, how he became the way he is. I want to be more enthused about the people around me.

Sorry if that is a bit deep and metaphysical, but it is one of my highest goals for the year.

From a physical standpoint, I want to run again, ride better, and do a few events that push me to better physical condition.

I absolutely love your enthusiasm goal!! And the whole note
2019-01-15 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi Team! Happy Tuesday? I don't know ... anyway, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the challenge. The weight one is what i need. I've watching the scale needle up and doing minor things but not consistently. Having the weekly weigh in seems to be motivating. I had a smoothie already and have logged my food. Right direction! 

Also, i hope you are all faring okay with winter. I saw Chris' post about it being 'Florida cold' there. Ha! We've had a relatively mild winter here so far. It's cold but we haven't had any snow stick yet. But this weekend looks very cold with the potential of a snowstorm so i am strategizing my 16k (10 mile) long run. I may just move it to Friday (I have the day off with my daughter) to avoid the weather ... i just can't quite wrap my head around -15C on Sunday ... no no no no. I may be Canadian but just no. 

Also, we booked a ski vacation to Mont Tremblant. I have never actually been in winter - i did the IM there. It's such a lovely place. Not much of a skiier but i'll give it a go. It will also be very cold ... but maybe going to Spa Scandinave will warm me up. 

Wait! North Carolina has had snow stick and Toronto hasn't?! What's up with that! And yes, next Monday and Tuesday are gonna be super cold here (for us). Next Tuesday's track workout looks like it could be one of my five coldest runs!

It'll be Florida cold here on Monday as well. I need long pants.

Ha! the indignity!

not.... not... NOT... l-l-l-l-l-long PANTS!!!! OH NO!

I have a few friends that are recent transplants to the area. They consistently spout about selling all of their long pants, cold weather, yada, yada, yada. One of them showed up last week in long pants. Florida cold, it's a real thing.

I experienced Florida cold last year while standing outside waiting for the Disney 5 and 10k to start. On 5k day it was 25 and on 10k day it was 39. That's freezing for this manatee.
However I will swap you some cold for some heat on Sunday, it gonna be 40 here (that's 104) and we have a trail run on with a mega crazy hill and no shade.
2019-01-15 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK, I'll go first

Gotcha. My word for the year is JOY. I want to get back to the joy of running, the joy of spending time on my bike, etc. I want to love training.

2019-01-15 5:17 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi Team! Happy Tuesday? I don't know ... anyway, just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the challenge. The weight one is what i need. I've watching the scale needle up and doing minor things but not consistently. Having the weekly weigh in seems to be motivating. I had a smoothie already and have logged my food. Right direction! 

Also, i hope you are all faring okay with winter. I saw Chris' post about it being 'Florida cold' there. Ha! We've had a relatively mild winter here so far. It's cold but we haven't had any snow stick yet. But this weekend looks very cold with the potential of a snowstorm so i am strategizing my 16k (10 mile) long run. I may just move it to Friday (I have the day off with my daughter) to avoid the weather ... i just can't quite wrap my head around -15C on Sunday ... no no no no. I may be Canadian but just no. 

Also, we booked a ski vacation to Mont Tremblant. I have never actually been in winter - i did the IM there. It's such a lovely place. Not much of a skiier but i'll give it a go. It will also be very cold ... but maybe going to Spa Scandinave will warm me up. 

Wait! North Carolina has had snow stick and Toronto hasn't?! What's up with that! And yes, next Monday and Tuesday are gonna be super cold here (for us). Next Tuesday's track workout looks like it could be one of my five coldest runs!

Ha! the indignity!

I have a few friends that are recent transplants to the area. They consistently spout about selling all of their long pants, cold weather, yada, yada, yada. One of them showed up last week in long pants. Florida cold, it's a real thing.

I experienced Florida cold last year while standing outside waiting for the Disney 5 and 10k to start. On 5k day it was 25 and on 10k day it was 39. That's freezing for this manatee. However I will swap you some cold for some heat on Sunday, it gonna be 40 here (that's 104) and we have a trail run on with a mega crazy hill and no shade.

2019-01-15 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I have been thinking of getting kettle bells for home so that I can do a functional strength routine with goblet squats and single leg deadlifts and stuff. I was going through my notes to see what weight that I need to get and I ran across a note title MANATEE GOALS 2014.

I'll post it later but in the meantime, what are your goals for 2019?

Aww, isn't it fun to look back on what you were doing five years ago? Did you meet your 2014 goals?
2019-01-15 5:59 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by amd723

Ha! the indignity!

And, Florida 40's is colder than 40's most everywhere else b/c the humidity makes everything worse! 

Truth! For the life of me, I can't understand the lack of sympathy.
2019-01-15 6:06 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

OK, I'll go first

I haven't set any goals for 2019 other than a weight loss goal of getting down to 250 by April 9 (set by my doctor at my last checkup), which I should crush thanks in no small part to our Manatee challenge. So thank you for putting this out to the pod. It's inspiring me to focus on some goals. I'll report back soon!
2019-01-15 7:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
A lot is up in the air for me with the latter half of the year, so it's hard to set any really long-range goals. But I'll try.

* Improve my weaknesses (strength and biking, which are connected). Basically, get stronger so I can push a bigger gear, so I can be more competitive on the bike. I have improved a lot but it is still holding me back.
* Do more stretching, foam rolling, etc. to improve flexibility and resilience. My hamstrings, glutes, and lower back have really struggled with the switch from pure runner to triathlete. When I am doing any substantial amount of bike training, they always feel tight. Partly a strength issue, I think, and partly an issue of my less-than-ideal recovery habits.
* Improve run speed. My run endurance is really good after training for the IM (better I think than at any time since my mid 20's) but speed needs help. Ideally, be able to hold at least 8 minutes/mile for HIM run.
* Do more trail running (definitely in training/for exploration, maybe some trail races, too).
* Get on the podium as much as possible. (I like podiums!) Hoping my chances are better in 50-54 but that is not a given--will probably just be racing fast older people!
*Related to the above, don't give up when I think all is lost because of a less than ideal bike leg. (To be honest, this is sometimes an issue for me, and my bike leg's never ideal!) Just keep pushing the run to the very end.

Stretch goals (may need to wait until the rest of my life is more settled, though):

* Qualify for 70.3 Worlds (but not sure I could actually go...) or Kona (but that would require a lot of luck!) Hawaii 70.3 is actually a qualifier for Kona, as well as 70.3 Worlds, but I would have to have one hell of a race to make either--the fastest AG women around know about this "back door" to Kona, and often show up there.
* If I have time to train for it, try to break 12 hours for full IM. I'm pretty sure I could "easily" (one hesitates to use that word for anything connected with IM!) do this with a faster course (Malaysia is known as one of the slowest) or even a bit better bike karma and fitness on the same course. But I will only sign up for an IM if I know I have time to train enough to do it justice.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-01-15 7:55 PM
2019-01-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Goals: Under 6 hours at IM Virginia 70.3.

Failing that, under 6 hours at IM North Carolina 70.3.

2019-01-16 4:41 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Expert
Illinois
Chris's philosophy about really enjoying things rather than just plowing through them resonates with me. A goal of mine has been and continues to be practicing mindfulness and trying to see the world around me with fresh eyes. I
2019-01-16 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK, I'll go first

Gotcha. My word for the year is JOY. I want to get back to the joy of running, the joy of spending time on my bike, etc. I want to love training.

And I want to develop your consistency. I hope you realize how rare it is to see someone who has made a commitment to themselves like you have. 

2019-01-16 6:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner A lot is up in the air for me with the latter half of the year, so it's hard to set any really long-range goals. But I'll try. * Improve my weaknesses (strength and biking, which are connected). Basically, get stronger so I can push a bigger gear, so I can be more competitive on the bike. I have improved a lot but it is still holding me back. * Do more stretching, foam rolling, etc. to improve flexibility and resilience. My hamstrings, glutes, and lower back have really struggled with the switch from pure runner to triathlete. When I am doing any substantial amount of bike training, they always feel tight. Partly a strength issue, I think, and partly an issue of my less-than-ideal recovery habits. * Improve run speed. My run endurance is really good after training for the IM (better I think than at any time since my mid 20's) but speed needs help. Ideally, be able to hold at least 8 minutes/mile for HIM run. * Do more trail running (definitely in training/for exploration, maybe some trail races, too). * Get on the podium as much as possible. (I like podiums!) Hoping my chances are better in 50-54 but that is not a given--will probably just be racing fast older people! *Related to the above, don't give up when I think all is lost because of a less than ideal bike leg. (To be honest, this is sometimes an issue for me, and my bike leg's never ideal!) Just keep pushing the run to the very end. Stretch goals (may need to wait until the rest of my life is more settled, though): * Qualify for 70.3 Worlds (but not sure I could actually go...) or Kona (but that would require a lot of luck!) Hawaii 70.3 is actually a qualifier for Kona, as well as 70.3 Worlds, but I would have to have one hell of a race to make either--the fastest AG women around know about this "back door" to Kona, and often show up there. * If I have time to train for it, try to break 12 hours for full IM. I'm pretty sure I could "easily" (one hesitates to use that word for anything connected with IM!) do this with a faster course (Malaysia is known as one of the slowest) or even a bit better bike karma and fitness on the same course. But I will only sign up for an IM if I know I have time to train enough to do it justice.

Karen, I am in awe of your focus, given the challenges of your past year. I truly hope that you get to see those goals through to completion. Especially the trail running, since that is one of my favorite things to do.

2019-01-16 6:26 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by kbhanson3

OK, I'll go first

I haven't set any goals for 2019 other than a weight loss goal of getting down to 250 by April 9 (set by my doctor at my last checkup), which I should crush thanks in no small part to our Manatee challenge. So thank you for putting this out to the pod. It's inspiring me to focus on some goals. I'll report back soon!

Karl, I am glad we can help in some way and I hope you blast your doctor's weight goal out of the water!

2019-01-16 6:28 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83 My 2019 Training Goals: 1. Strength: I need stronger core for all my disciplines: swim, bike, run (triathlon and long distance focus), rock climbing, and mtb.I plan to do core routine 3 times per week, and 1- minute planks 2-3 times per week (on the days that don't have core routine). Be able to do pull-up (or 3..!) 2. Stronger legs: once again, I need those for all triathlon disciplines, and I also noticed how stronger legs are necessary to improve my climbing technique. Legs routine 3 times per week. Taking stairs whenever possible. 3. Discipline specific goals are: - my first 70.3 (this is huge deal for me, especially given a year of no swimming) - if I do marathon on the road, then beat my record (currently 4:55) - half marathon PR (currently 2:08) - lead climb 5.11c (for which I need the core and legs from goal #1) I think this is enough for at least the first half of the year.

Marysia, I love that you have defined such diverse goals, especially the climbing goals. As a guy in the flattest of flat states, I can only imagine such things. Too Cool.

2019-01-16 6:30 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by awm007 Goals: Under 6 hours at IM Virginia 70.3. Failing that, under 6 hours at IM North Carolina 70.3.

Adam, it seems like 6 hours is the hurdle , no matter the place. You got this!!!

2019-01-16 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hope everyone has a great humpday, now it is time to get to the work part of the day. Keep those goals coming and I'll see you in the spreadsheets!

2019-01-16 6:43 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

I have been thinking of getting kettle bells for home so that I can do a functional strength routine with goblet squats and single leg deadlifts and stuff. I was going through my notes to see what weight that I need to get and I ran across a note title MANATEE GOALS 2014.

I'll post it later but in the meantime, what are your goals for 2019?

Aww, isn't it fun to look back on what you were doing five years ago? Did you meet your 2014 goals?

Unless anyone here objects, I'll post the 2014 edition in a bit.

2019-01-16 6:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner A lot is up in the air for me with the latter half of the year, so it's hard to set any really long-range goals. But I'll try. * Improve my weaknesses (strength and biking, which are connected). Basically, get stronger so I can push a bigger gear, so I can be more competitive on the bike. I have improved a lot but it is still holding me back. * Do more stretching, foam rolling, etc. to improve flexibility and resilience. My hamstrings, glutes, and lower back have really struggled with the switch from pure runner to triathlete. When I am doing any substantial amount of bike training, they always feel tight. Partly a strength issue, I think, and partly an issue of my less-than-ideal recovery habits. * Improve run speed. My run endurance is really good after training for the IM (better I think than at any time since my mid 20's) but speed needs help. Ideally, be able to hold at least 8 minutes/mile for HIM run. * Do more trail running (definitely in training/for exploration, maybe some trail races, too). * Get on the podium as much as possible. (I like podiums!) Hoping my chances are better in 50-54 but that is not a given--will probably just be racing fast older people! *Related to the above, don't give up when I think all is lost because of a less than ideal bike leg. (To be honest, this is sometimes an issue for me, and my bike leg's never ideal!) Just keep pushing the run to the very end. Stretch goals (may need to wait until the rest of my life is more settled, though): * Qualify for 70.3 Worlds (but not sure I could actually go...) or Kona (but that would require a lot of luck!) Hawaii 70.3 is actually a qualifier for Kona, as well as 70.3 Worlds, but I would have to have one hell of a race to make either--the fastest AG women around know about this "back door" to Kona, and often show up there. * If I have time to train for it, try to break 12 hours for full IM. I'm pretty sure I could "easily" (one hesitates to use that word for anything connected with IM!) do this with a faster course (Malaysia is known as one of the slowest) or even a bit better bike karma and fitness on the same course. But I will only sign up for an IM if I know I have time to train enough to do it justice.

Nice! Hands got a book for Christmas that sounds like it might be up your alley. They were talking about it on the TrainerRoad podcast a while back too. Becoming a Supple Leopard? (I googled "Cheetah Stretch Strength book" to find this. I did not even have the right animal! )

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107