BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 7 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2019-02-19 11:35 AM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 7 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN
I really didn't use an "official" training plan. I did fall back on my experience for the training I did for the 2 1/2 Marathons I completed; meaning I just mixed up the type of training (swim, bike, walk/run) over the week. I did do some reading and learned doing some "brick" sessions ahead of the event would be helpful. Now, I'm just doing these to say I can still compete in some degree. Someone wanting to achieve more would benefit from some official training plans......

Just a bit of a break here in the weather today; hope to get the Big Green Egg fired up to cook a few pieces of meat!! Then the weather reverts back to crappy winter weather tonight....snow then ice early tomorrow am. May impact my ability to get to the pool in the am.

Did a slow but steady session on the bike trainer this am. I'm gonna have to up the effort sometime soon.....

2019-02-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the advice, I will find some open water races one it warms up here (Pittsburgh) In the mean time the running is getting more fun! Picked up an indoor trainer for my bike, got it set up yesterday, now i just need to find a reliable pool for more swimming.

Hope everyone is having fun out there. I know I am.
2019-02-21 6:46 PM
in reply to: TRIRONMAN71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry agin for being absent. Like I said work has been nuts and then I got sick and finally after 5 days am feeling somewhat better.

Rod, great report and congrats on giving it a go in the swim but also knowing when to not jeopardize yourself or another.

Who is coming up with March’s challenge. I certainly did a terrible job with my challenge so I got to make up big time.

Again sorry for being Absent and I promise to go no more than a few days from now on.
2019-02-22 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5255345

User image

Todd...sometimes life just gets in the way! Don’t sweat it! Glad you are on the mend.
2019-02-25 3:19 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by RockHead

Hello Turtles,
Had my last crossfit class on Saturday and will resume swimming in the pool again on Tuesday. My training plan that I will be using is starting up on February 24th. It is a phone app called TriTrainer by JammyCo. You enter your race date and it works backwards to determine a start date for your plan. Up till now I have been just getting in some workouts so I can hit the ground running (pun intended) when my training plan starts.

Thinking about this has made me curious what others here use for their training plans? I just basically downloaded the first app I came across and didn't put a lot of thought or research into it, perhaps I should have.

Happy Presidents Day,

Tom

In addition to my training plan question, my research has led me to Zones and how one should structure their workouts using them. Does anyone use this type of info and have they seen the benefits? Per my calculations, I am doing most of my workouts in Zone 3, which seems to be a no-no in the early stages of a plan.
2019-02-26 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So for me the biggest thing I use Heart Rate Zones for is the bike. I know for instance that if I stay at the top of Z2 very bottom of Z3 (around 153) for my 56 mile ride in previous 70.3 races that I’d have what I needed in the tank for the run. Zones don’t work in the swim that more perceived exertion and if you like me on the run you can’t stay in Z2 without walking. I just use HR in the run as a reference and slow down if I see it’s really getting up there. As a reference a lot of people say to train hard when going short and to go easy when going long in training. I say all that to say that I’ve never been one to follow plans to a T and worry about finite thing because I’m middle of the pace and do this for fun and to stay in shape.

2019-02-27 2:15 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Is it too late to join in with the turtles?

Name - Tyler

Story - I have done duathlons (bike/run), road races, mountain bike races, and run races. I thought I would try a tri.

Family Status - Married with a two year old

Races - HIM Wilmington 19 October, and trying to find a couple olympics leading up to the HIM.

Health - Doing the transition from lifting heavy in more of a power lifting fashion to an endurance focus. I am looking to drop weight to help with efficiency but it is still a mental challenge as it is painful to watch my max strength, which I worked so long to build, slowly plateau and go backwards.

Programming - I am following Power Speed Endurance's Triathlon programming as it was recommended by a friend. I get additional swim lesson to help with technique as it is the biggest struggle between the three event.

Can I be a turtle?
2019-02-27 4:09 AM
in reply to: t_dub_meh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tyler,

Sure you can join and welcome to the Turtles! I understand what you mean by the max strength loss as I heard the same thing from a friend that got into the sport after I told him about it. What I can tell you about his journey was after he finished his half Ironman he said that the loses he had were far outweighed by the overall improvement to his physical health and ability. He spoke about having more energy and also said that he had nagging injures that decreased greatly during the process which he contributed to not lifting as heavy. It may not end up being the same for you but felt you may want to hear that. I would recommend starting with a sprint out of the box for logistics and comfort moving forward. My number one tip as you go through this process is to enjoy the journey and not get hung up on podiums. Those who enjoy it stay!
2019-02-27 6:26 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Tyler,

Sure you can join and welcome to the Turtles! I understand what you mean by the max strength loss as I heard the same thing from a friend that got into the sport after I told him about it. What I can tell you about his journey was after he finished his half Ironman he said that the loses he had were far outweighed by the overall improvement to his physical health and ability. He spoke about having more energy and also said that he had nagging injures that decreased greatly during the process which he contributed to not lifting as heavy. It may not end up being the same for you but felt you may want to hear that. I would recommend starting with a sprint out of the box for logistics and comfort moving forward. My number one tip as you go through this process is to enjoy the journey and not get hung up on podiums. Those who enjoy it stay!

I am rather excited for this new path in life. I appreciate the advice and I am glad I am not the only one worried about losing strength while changing to a completely different training focus. I knew it was going to happen but, you know. Still a bummer. Thank you for the advice!
2019-02-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: #5255819

User image

Tyler.....welcome to the group!!!
2019-03-01 4:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It’s March 1st and I’m still waiting to see what kind of challenge one of you will issue for the month. What does everyone have planned for the weekend. Mine is functional strength this morning and possibly again tonight. Special Olympics Unified Basketball tournament all day tomorrow, and then a run or ride Sunday.

2019-03-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #5255980

User image

Ok....a challenge for consideration......

Log some type of activity 28 of the 31 days of the month of March; 14 of those days have 2 different activities; then let everyone know your totals at the end of the month (in addition to access to your training log)

I’ll post my February totals as an example once I can get to a PC; hard to do from my phone.

Now, it’s doubtful I’ll complete the challenge; I have to have a prostate biopsy on 3/19 so I’m not sure what my level of activity will be following that...hopefully only a day or two of inactivity. But, I’ll follow everyone else’s progress.

Also, once the results of that biopsy is known I’ll have a better idea of what if any activities I’ll be involved with later in the spring/early summer. Because of this I’ve held off registering for the spring event I’ve done in the past. If the results are negative and back fairly soon I may still try to make that event.

How about it Turtles????
2019-03-01 3:58 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I'm up for the March challenge. I will say that I have been taking at least one day off per week, so I may be a couple days short of 28 by months end.
2019-03-03 2:59 AM

User image

Hi Turtles,

Welcome Tyler.

Bill, Thanks for setting up the challenge. I hope the biopsy doesn't identify any nasty surprises.

Todd, Thanks for reaching out regarding my weekend. Hope you enjoyed yours too.

RockHead. I tried responding to your question about zones during the week but it became very lengthy so I didn't post. I agree with Todd's response though that most plans are a guide and you need to customize then to your individual requirements.

It's 3 weeks until my next race, another Super Sprint. I haven't trained for 3 weeks due to a scheduled rest and recovery week, a week holiday and then a week off due to very bad knee pain due to me aggravating my existing condition during a landscaping project. I must admit I came very close to quitting last week as I had difficulty walking let alone attempting to run. I've refocused on what I can do rather than what I can't do so I've been open water swimming the last couple of days. I've found a fairly strong pain relief ointment that I can only use for 3 weeks (not sure what happens if I continue to use it but I won't find out) so I'm hoping that that will get me to the start line on race day. I've revised my training program accordingly to get me through to this coming race and then my final race for the season in early April. I'm already thinking about our 2019/20 season but need to finish this season first.

I want to share this Youtube clip with you. I think it is very motivating, so much so I googled the text and printed it out. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuPLxQD4akQ&list=PLhNf8_UdR5dgsdsOa5...

2019-03-04 3:24 PM

User image

OK....here's my totals for the month of February....

SWIM: 10h 15m 49s - 23800.00 Yd
BIKE: 4h 27m 08s - 52.22 Mi
RUN: 31m 43s - 2.00 Mi........this is actually Walking
STRENGTH: 10h 37m
SPORT: 7h 39m.....28 Miles walking...my Fenix5 uploads as "sport" on walking activities...

Some caveats....that total in the strength category includes some clearing of snow from the several snow events we had locally...since it's such a pain to do the clearing I thought I'd get some sort of "credit" for the work!!!!

Yesterday was pretty much a rest day for me....other than clearing the drive/walks of a light dusting of snow....
2019-03-04 4:52 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Bill,
Your swim total is to be envied.

My February totals:
SWIM: 1h 39m - 2550 Yd (lap pool)
BIKE: 5h 45m - 110 Mi (spin classes)
RUN: 2 h 35m - 15.9 Mi (treadmill)
STRENGTH: 5h 45m (gym machines, weights)
SPORT: 6h 30m (crossfit class)

Unfortunately, this weather pattern will not let up. Looks like much of my work will continue to be indoors for the foreseeable future.

2019-03-08 3:02 PM
in reply to: #5256105

User image

Have had a pretty good week of training so far this week; pleased with my swims (times & distances); 1 bike ride but may do one in the am.

Weather has broken a bit here today; actually sunny and calm winds...so will fire up the Egg and grill a couple of steaks. But first we plan to stop by a local craft brewery for some beers. My excuse it’s well deserved! Took the 2 Vizslas to doggy daycare today so they will be wiped out. Pick them up after our brewery stop.

Later!
2019-03-10 1:31 AM

User image

Sadly I spent the last week traveling and working leaving my hopes on the treadmills for running. Sadly they were all broken. Getting over jetlag today and attempting to get back on the training program.

For those of you who are following prescribed plans, do you stay on track with distance, as if you hadn't missed a week, or go back to the week you missed? I am 7 months out from race day.

Tyler
2019-03-10 7:32 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I would defer the proper answer to our coach, but if it were me and I had some extra time in my plan/schedule I would just back up a week and continue. I think you want to avoid messing with your taper into the race by extending your plan though. As a side note, if your plan is like mine I pretty much do the same things every week so just continuing on with the plan isn't much different than the week I would have missed. You say you have 7 months till race day, when is your plan scheduled to end?
2019-03-11 8:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by t_dub_meh

Sadly I spent the last week traveling and working leaving my hopes on the treadmills for running. Sadly they were all broken. Getting over jetlag today and attempting to get back on the training program.

For those of you who are following prescribed plans, do you stay on track with distance, as if you hadn't missed a week, or go back to the week you missed? I am 7 months out from race day.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

With 7 months to go until race day you don't need to worry too much about missing a few training sessions. If I miss any I resume from where I left off. I think it is important to build a sound foundation. One thing you learn pretty quickly is you can't "cram" training sessions close to race day. I schedule rest days and contingency days into my training program. Often something will stop me from training so I effectively have an unscheduled rest day and I pick it up on a scheduled contingency or rest day.
2019-03-11 8:48 PM

User image

Hi Turtles,

Lots of interruptions to training this week but I tested my knee on the treadmill and felt fine so I went for a run later in the week and pulled up ok.

2 weeks to my next race. My priority is to get to the starting line in one piece so I'm training at about 75% intensity.

Hope you're all well

2019-03-12 8:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Originally posted by t_dub_meh

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

With 7 months to go until race day you don't need to worry too much about missing a few training sessions. If I miss any I resume from where I left off. I think it is important to build a sound foundation. One thing you learn pretty quickly is you can't "cram" training sessions close to race day. I schedule rest days and contingency days into my training program. Often something will stop me from training so I effectively have an unscheduled rest day and I pick it up on a scheduled contingency or rest day.

Planning contingency days, I like that. I am definitely going to be borrowing that idea. Bike intervals this morning were great but I definitely could feel the week off in my legs, they felt empty for a solid portion of the day.
2019-03-12 10:57 AM

User image

Rod....good to hear your knee is responding well!!! Good luck race day!!!!

Tyler....Rod provided some very good advice; pick up where you were at before; I can certainly understand how the legs responded after not having the time to train for a while. Best of luck as you resume your schedule!!
2019-03-14 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5256435

User image

Hey Rod.....

Be careful in your part of the world!!!!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1098439/Australia-paraglider-ka...
2019-03-14 7:59 PM

User image

Took the day "off" today.....first one so far this month. I'd say I rested but our 4 year old granddaughter stays with us each Thursday...and that's a workout of sorts... My wife and I are pretty tired after the 4 year old adventure!!!! ;0)!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 7 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 939 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa