General Discussion Triathlon Talk » would like to start using zwift...many questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-01-10 5:47 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: would like to start using zwift...many questions
I'm very interested in starting to use zwift but have many questions. I have been doing this for 12 years, My current at home setup is a basic "dumb" fluid trainer with a garmin speed sensor paired with trainerroad on an old imac running 10.6.8

I am in the market for a new trainer and am currently looking at the BKool Smart Go and Kinetic Road Machine SMart Trainer.

Which would work better with Zwift?
Is the computer I'm currently using compatible with Zwift?
Can I use my Iphone running ios 12.1.2 with either (or both) trainers and zwift?
What other accessories would I need to purchase?

Thanks for your help.

2019-01-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: #5253665

Subject: RE: would like to start using zwift...many questions
I just got started with Zwift. I got the Kickr from wahoo.

My setup is to run the app from my Mac into a monitor. Others do Apple TV into their main tv.

Not sure about the min spec needed for the computer. iPhone or iPad will work too. But a bigger screen is more immersive
2019-01-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: orijitdhar

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I run Zwift with a Powertap and a Dell windows laptop HDMI'd into a 32" monitor about 3 feet in front of the bike at roughly handlebar level.  I had another laptop that sucked, like really poor experience (it didn't even like TrainerRoad).  You'll need an extension cord for your ANT+ stick - it needs to be REALLY close to your power transmission device, like 2-3 feet away.  Once I did that and got a refurb laptop from Best Buy for like $300 the whole thing works great.

As for the trainers, go to DCRainmaker's site.  I have a ten year old KK Road Machine LOL so my input would be useless.

2019-01-10 11:10 AM
in reply to: orijitdhar

Between those two trainers I'd choose the kinetic, but is there a reason you're limiting yourself to those two?

For zwift, you need two things:

1. A "headunit," either a computer with decent gaming specs, the apple TV, an IPAD, or iphone
2. A power meter or smart trainer, or a cheaper option is a kinetic fluid trainer with the kinetic inride sensor

Do you already have a power meter? Are you interested in training and racing with power?
If you want power indoors and outdoors, get a power meter. They are similarly priced to a smart trainer. Wheel-on smart trainers aren't accurate anyway.

As someone else mentioned if you're broadcasting power through ant+, you'll want an extension cord to get the usb cord and ant+ dongle right under your crankset.
2019-01-10 2:37 PM
in reply to: #5253668

User image

I run zwift on an iPad Air and have a Kurt kinetic rock n roll trainer with the inride sensor. I also have a wahoo speed and cadence sensor. I use the Kurt kinetic sensor for power and wahoo for cadence. Works well enough for me.
2019-01-10 8:20 PM
in reply to: mscotthall

Originally posted by mscotthall

I'm very interested in starting to use zwift but have many questions. I have been doing this for 12 years, My current at home setup is a basic "dumb" fluid trainer with a garmin speed sensor paired with trainerroad on an old imac running 10.6.8

I am in the market for a new trainer and am currently looking at the BKool Smart Go and Kinetic Road Machine SMart Trainer.

Which would work better with Zwift?
Is the computer I'm currently using compatible with Zwift?
Can I use my Iphone running ios 12.1.2 with either (or both) trainers and zwift?
What other accessories would I need to purchase?

Thanks for your help.

If you are looking at purchasing a new trainer, I would recommend reading DC Rainmaker's trainer review. He does a great job of going through all of your options from low end to high end.

For the best experience possible, you'll want to use a direct drive smart trainer. . . but that's going to cost quite a bit of money. Personally, I think it's the way to go for both the realism and more important, ERG mode for workouts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » would like to start using zwift...many questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ZWIFT Tri Team // Rachael Norfleet

Started by TriJayhawkRyan
Views: 941 Posts: 1

2018-04-30 9:37 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Zwift workouts ftp

Started by pipsyboy
Views: 845 Posts: 3

2018-04-25 4:09 AM pipsyboy

My Used Endless pool cost video.

Started by Keith_OH
Views: 1551 Posts: 2