General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Season Planing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-01-10 5:57 PM

Subject: Season Planing
Advice please... I signed up for a 70.3 april texas and want to do challenge san gil july mexico and then .1 week or 2 active rest. After begin training for IM Arizona on late november ... Is it doable the 2 70.3?

2019-01-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: vicvaides

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Season Planing
Definitely! That was pretty much my "A" race schedule last year. (70.3 Vietnam in early May, 70.3 Calgary in late July, and Ironman Malaysia in mid-November). In other years I have raced three 70.3's with no ill effects. I have raced again as soon as two weeks after a 70.3, but shorter distances (sprint and Olympic, a half-marathon). No real issues with lingering fatigue in any of those races. This year I'm planning two 70.3's four weeks apart. It's not ideal, but they're races I've always wanted to do, I have free time this year to travel to both events where normally I wouldn't, so taking advantage and doing them while I can.

Depending on your level of experience, how hard you race, and how quickly you tend to recover, 2 weeks of recovery after a 70.3 should be plenty. I generally do a week of very light workouts, mostly swimming and some easy spinning on the bike; minimal running if any until 5-7 days after the race. The second week is a gradual transition from easy workouts back toward normal training the following week. If you need a bit more time to recover, you could still take another week or so of lighter training without losing too much fitness.

70.3 training leads very well into training for full Ironman. To my mind, it was pretty much more of the same, except for longer long runs and rides and slightly longer swims; a bit lower intensity, maybe a bit more total volume on the bike and run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Season Planing Rss Feed