General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I feel it's easier to swim in OW, but I'm much slower. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-02-03 9:58 PM

User image

Subject: I feel it's easier to swim in OW, but I'm much slower.
When I swim 1500 m continuously in the pool, I found it's very daunting and exhausting to count from 30 (lengths) to 0, with a wall stopping me each 50 m which seriously affecting by rhythm, and in OW, once the target is seen, especially a clear natural target and a long leg, I feel the distance become much easier, maybe comparable to around 2/3 of the distance in pool (i.e. My fatigue level feels like I have done 1000 m while in fact I have done 1500 m). However, I'm also much slower than in OW, maybe around 8% slower compared to the pool even when the natural target (e.g. an island) is directly ahead and clearly seen (i.e. I can do only 1.1 km in OW in the same time as doing 1.3 km in the pool, but feels like doing 750 m in the pool despite the increased time). All my OW swim is non-wetsuit in the sea, and roughly the same temperature (20°C water) between OW and pool.

In the pool, I have a habit of counting strokes to see if my technique is breaking apart, and try to maintain the good form. However it is not possible to do this in OW, therefore I don't know if my technique is breaking down in OW causing the slower speed. Despite that, in OW, it is much easier for me to fire up stroke rate for a longer period of time than in the pool if needed, because there are no walls, and especially I am trying to catch up and draft off a faster swimmer, however I don't know if I am holding good technique or not with increased stroke rate.

I can do only about 2.6 km/h in open water (a 3.7 km swim takes me about 86 minutes), but my pool 1.5 km time is about 31 - 32 minutes. Is it because I am not pushing myself hard enough in open water (thus giving the feeling of much easier in OW)? In the pool the existence of walls, although daunting, actually control my pacing such that I know what effort level should I operate in order to sustain 1.5 km.

2019-02-03 10:28 PM
in reply to: miklcct

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: I feel it's easier to swim in OW, but I'm much slower.
Hard to say....Just my experience. (Most of my races have been non-wetsuit ocean swims as well.)

For the ocean, there are so many variables with current, weather conditions, etc. Most likely if current is there at all you will be slightly slower unless the whole swim is with the current point to point. You can also lose time with swimming extra if your navigation skills need work and/or currents push you off course and you have to keep correcting for them. Hard to say about pacing--it can be more challenging in open water. With experience, you get better at judging what level of effort will work for you at various distances, given that you will then bike and run.

Probably you feel open water is easier because it is more enjoyable, less tedious and (at least jn the setting you describe) less mentally taxing. I also think a swim in an open water setting where it's not too cold, navigation is easy, and there's no strong current, chop, or surf break to worry about, seems to pass a lot quicker than doing the same distance in a pool. I did some IM length and longer swims in the pool in preparation for my first full IM in November (open water options here were not doable after September) and they felt LONG! By contrast, my swim in the actual race (Malaysia, warm water, swimming a very clear course out to and parallel to some little islands and back) was really enjoyable and seemed to finish quite quickly.

But I have also done races where the water was very rough (waves so high it was hard to see buoys to navigate, rain and wind during the swim, having to fight out beyond the surf break for 100+ yards and then worry about how to get back to shore without getting thrown out on my butt). In one case I was really cold as well (should have been wetsuit legal but wasn't--long story). Those swims seemed to last a LOT longer than the 30+ minutes they supposedly were! Those were physically and mentally much more draining than in a pool. Open water being what it is though, I've noticed very little correlation between how arduous a swim felt, conditions, and my actual time--probably as courses don't tend to be very accurate. I don't think I have ever done an "accurate" tri swim that was faster than my pool time, though. I think the closest was an Oly swim (1500, supposedly) than came within about 1:15 of my pool best. That would be a difference of about 5%. (Lake swim in wetsuit in calm conditions.)
2019-02-04 12:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: I feel it's easier to swim in OW, but I'm much slower.
Makes sense to me: OW is harder physically than the pool (current, sighting and all that)... hence slower but going back and forth in a pool is so boring that it feels longer.
That was the short answer. For a more detailed answer, see above
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I feel it's easier to swim in OW, but I'm much slower. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me to find OW race in China!

Started by miklcct
Views: 615 Posts: 6

2019-01-26 8:09 PM Hot Runner

Can you help me go slower?

Started by Porfirio
Views: 545 Posts: 9

2018-08-10 7:42 AM marcag

Feeling faint after swimming in the lake

Started by ARBoyd
Views: 1153 Posts: 5

2018-05-04 5:52 AM nickster

3.23.18 It's FRIDAY!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 417 Posts: 5

2018-03-23 9:25 PM B.K

Swim times getting slower in the pool... a result of racing and OWS?

Started by Miles around Midtown
Views: 3111 Posts: 11

2018-06-13 1:58 AM ethanscott