General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ramping up my run - advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-02-04 3:46 PM

Subject: Ramping up my run - advice.
Hello All,
I am approaching my 3rd season as a triathlete. My only race this year is the Santa Cruz Half Ironman. I have completed 2 olympics last year.

And my starting point was the couch. I am now well on my way on the bike... Got a smart trainer, power meter - the works . Been training diligently.

Zwift has given me access to structured plans and a good idea as to how to ramp. Now that I am starting to run, I need help. I struggle the most with running. In the past , I get injured easily running. And I am hoping to ramp up really slow. I am running 5 Miles for my long run @ 11 mins/mile. And will try to run 3 days in the week.

My primary question is :

How should I mix up my workout?
Any advice on avoiding injury?
How does one get to the point where they (look like) run effortlessly?
How much improvement should I hope for with 6 months of training?

My PB for half-marathon was around 2:09 mins.

2019-02-04 7:37 PM
in reply to: orijitdhar

Subject: RE: Ramping up my run - advice.
Three runs per week with one long run sounds like a great place to start.

- Mix in hills, track work, and tempos when you're ready. Just don't over due it.

- Don't increase training volume and intensity too much at any one time. It's tricky to listen to your body but try to distinguish between soreness and pain.

- Years and years of training. I recently did a video titled 'The secret to running fast' and it boils down to doing speed work regularly.

- If you're new to the sport you can expect faster and bigger gains than someone who's been running a long time. You might be able to knock off 10 minutes from your half time but sadly, I won't be able to reduce my personal records by the same amount very easily.

Keep us posted on how the training and running is going!

2019-02-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: #5254957

User image

When is your race? If it’s still off in the year I would simply work on building my MPW gradually. I usually try adding 2 miles to my long run each week with a cutback week once a month. I’ll also add a mile during one or two of the weekly runs. This builds your base without feeling like a ton of work.

Take it easy on speed work if you are accident prone. Finishing the last mile of one or two of your runs at a quick pace is a good way to keep workouts interesting and feel like you’re working on some speed. Strides are also a good place to start.

If you follow a good plan and stay healthy, six months is enough time to see a lot of improvement.

2019-02-04 10:07 PM
in reply to: #5254970

User image

Cypress, Texas
My three key runs are 1) repeats/ speed work 2) tempo runs 3) long runs.

My Pre-triathlon days my most basic repeats would be 200m’s alternating with 400m’s. I would start with something manageable like 7x200m the first week then add one repeat every week for an 8-16 week plan. I would start with something like 3x400m and add one every other week.

Tempo runs would other just be longer intervals is 800 to 1000m’s

Long runs would start out at something like 8-10 miles and would add a mile every other week then go back to the starting distance (I.e. 8,9,10,11,10,12 , 10, 13, 10, 14, 10, 15, 10, 16, 10, 17.

The first 10 days of running are the hardest. After that it starts to get easier. I am Udayakumar starting to feel like I am running effortlessly about 8-10 weeks into training.
2019-02-05 7:03 AM

User image

If you have 6 days a week to run following the Barry P 1-2-3 plan seems to work really well for a lot of people. I have trouble getting 6 run sessions in per week but my coach still tends to follow the same philosophy. I typically do 1 short run (ideally 3 but I just can't find that amount of time), 2 medium runs (one is a speed type run i.e tempo, threshold, hill), and one long run per week. The key is to not add too much and go slow, know your heart rate zones and stay in zone 1/2 for a majority of the time. I have cut about 1 min/mile off my paces in the last 14-15 months since starting to work with my coach and following this general guideline. So, big gains can be possible by your HIM in September, but an injury can derail all of that. So, be cautious with running.

There is a thread through Beginner Triathlete that links to the posts that Barry P wrote for another website.

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2019-02-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: mlegrand

nice youtube channel. I subscribed.
Originally posted by mlegrand

Three runs per week with one long run sounds like a great place to start.

- Mix in hills, track work, and tempos when you're ready. Just don't over due it.

- Don't increase training volume and intensity too much at any one time. It's tricky to listen to your body but try to distinguish between soreness and pain.

- Years and years of training. I recently did a video titled 'The secret to running fast' and it boils down to doing speed work regularly.

- If you're new to the sport you can expect faster and bigger gains than someone who's been running a long time. You might be able to knock off 10 minutes from your half time but sadly, I won't be able to reduce my personal records by the same amount very easily.

Keep us posted on how the training and running is going!

2019-02-05 11:20 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
What has changed my running completely was BarryP plan. Basically, you run as often as possible, and very, very, very, very slow.... So slow it annoys you. It helps with injury prevention. It made me love running (which I used to hate......). It also increases your speed on race day. Don't ask me how running slow while training makes you run faster on the race day, but it works. I went from 12 minutes per mile to 8 minutes per mile.
I have recently recommended this plan to my friend, who complained about previous running injuries, and he enjoys it, and no injuries reported so far.

Here it is:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485
2019-02-05 11:25 AM
in reply to: marysia83

thanks all for the good advice... So run slow, often and variety.

I would love to get to 9 min / mile for the HIM. wish me luck.
2019-02-05 12:10 PM

User image

If I can throw my $.02 in, I'll recommend lots of short easy runs, daily if possible. Take your weekly volume and divide it into 5-6 days.
I finished last year with planter fasciitis, out of shape from not being able to train well, and unmotivated. I took October & November completely off from running to heal, then started back with a couch to 5k plan. It was so easy that it was hard to follow sometimes, but it kept me from building too fast.
About the time I was finishing up the couch to 5k, I ran into several sources recommending lots of short runs (they probably got it from Barry P) So I started doing 20-25 min a day on my lunch break. If I was feeling any joint pain, I'd take the day off from running & do some extra stretching.
Once that was comfortable, I started adding in tempo runs. Then I added a weekly distance run. Now I'm feeling great and loving running again. It's a slow road, but its worth it.
2019-02-06 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Some loose advice:

Don't run after a hard workout day (bike or run).
ONLY have Z1/Z2 bike easy days after hard days.
GET PLENTY OF REST = sleep
Have one rest day a week with nothing or just a swim.
Warm up jog, dynamic warm up stretch, static cool down stretch after bikes and runs.
Active release massages.
Eat HEALTHY. You don't have to go nuts, but eat smart because it will affect your recovery/injuries.

Typically look for hard runs (speed or hills) early in the week. Tempo type runs mid week. Long run on weekend.

As you move along into build phase a few weeks out, the hard run intervals get longer, rest periods get shorter and recovery becomes more of a factor.

As race day approaches, take out intensity, keep tempo, reduce overall workload.
2019-02-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marysia83

What has changed my running completely was BarryP plan. Basically, you run as often as possible, and very, very, very, very slow.... So slow it annoys you. It helps with injury prevention. It made me love running (which I used to hate......). It also increases your speed on race day. Don't ask me how running slow while training makes you run faster on the race day, but it works. I went from 12 minutes per mile to 8 minutes per mile.
I have recently recommended this plan to my friend, who complained about previous running injuries, and he enjoys it, and no injuries reported so far.

Here it is:

^^This...absolutely this. I would stay the heck away from any workouts (intervals, tempos, etc) and just build a ton of base volume and extremely easy paces. It takes time and volume to get better at running and it took me a long time to figure that out. I did the Barry P plan last winter. Did nothing but extremely easy runs for two months building up to 50 mpw then started to introduce one tempo run a week and held that for a couple months, eventually adding in some interval runs as well. I went from seeing no improvement at all for 2+ years of training to my half marathon time dropping from 1:34:XX to 1:24:XX in a matter of 5 months. If you want to get better, you have to dedicate the time. 3 runs a week won't cut it. Doing long runs, tempos, intervals or anything else on limited run volume is just asking for injury.

2019-02-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by marysia83

Here it is:

^^This...absolutely this. I would stay the heck away from any workouts (intervals, tempos, etc) and just build a ton of base volume and extremely easy paces. It takes time and volume to get better at running and it took me a long time to figure that out. I did the Barry P plan last winter. Did nothing but extremely easy runs for two months building up to 50 mpw then started to introduce one tempo run a week and held that for a couple months, eventually adding in some interval runs as well. I went from seeing no improvement at all for 2+ years of training to my half marathon time dropping from 1:34:XX to 1:24:XX in a matter of 5 months. If you want to get better, you have to dedicate the time. 3 runs a week won't cut it. Doing long runs, tempos, intervals or anything else on limited run volume is just asking for injury.

^^ 100%

The BarryP plan has many very important principles in it. How to build mileage through frequency, how to spread the load throughout the week, how to grow load over time, when to introduce more specific type of running (tempo, hard...)...It's all in there.

It is all very well thought out

But until a person gets to a reasonable base, it's all about frequent running at low intensity.
2019-02-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: marcag

I have decided to run as often as I can and try to keep the intensity moderate... I am doing better than my usual ramp, where I start getting all these pains and niggles... I can't run more than 3-4 times/week, but at least I am focusing on the base first.
Will start the speed / tempo 2 months out.
2019-02-15 7:08 PM

Frequency tends to be more important the volume. . . so the more often you run, the better it should feel to run. So three days is great, four would be better. Sounds like you're starting from scratch so I wouldn't worry about doing speed work, intervals, etc. Just get out there and run and find a way to do it comfortably. In your first HIM, I would be more focused on bike fitness anyhow. . . most likely your run will be ugly no matter how well you're prepared for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ramping up my run - advice. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice for Final Week of Training Please

Started by MariaGayle
Views: 955 Posts: 11

2018-06-19 3:25 PM jhaack39

triathlon watches advice

Started by sbr21
Views: 1810 Posts: 19

2018-05-24 2:10 AM mortirolo

Pro Chris Hammer's Advice on Reaching Goals - Reposted from Articles