General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » NewTri Dreams Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-02-12 2:01 AM

Subject: NewTri Dreams
Hello All,

Al here, 36 yr old male..

My story is as follows:

Struggled with weight and obesity for 30 yrs of my life.

For 2 years after that got things under control and managed to lose 70lbs and was on the way to getting fit and lean, was running on the treadmill daily at 10 miles per hour for 1 hour and was getting after it in the gym... then my lower back lets me down completely (2 discs that cause 24 hour pain)...

Went back into the vicious cycle of binge eating and being lazy - gained back around 20 lbs - all this while trying to heal my back medically, but to no avail...

After 4 years of self pity and failed medical interventions, I decided to get into swimming (since Nov 2018) - I always had technique from my childhood - so I got the gear and jumped into the pool - I am now swimming for 1 mile on average 3 times a week.

I have put my mind to healing my back by swimming and enforcing my core muscles (only solution I have according to all doctors and therapists) and eventually would like to get back to running - and while I'm at it biking!

And that's why I'm here - triathlons here I come...

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated!

2019-02-12 6:26 PM
in reply to: #5255320

User image

Subject: RE: NewTri Dreams
Hello! Good to have those goals! Consider joining one of the beginner mentor groups. Todd’s TriTurtles is great for beginners!
2019-03-22 7:53 AM
in reply to: Ma3leemz

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Ma3leemzHello All,Al here, 36 yr old male..My story is as follows:Struggled with weight and obesity for 30 yrs of my life.For 2 years after that got things under control and managed to lose 70lbs and was on the way to getting fit and lean, was running on the treadmill daily at 10 miles per hour for 1 hour and was getting after it in the gym... then my lower back lets me down completely (2 discs that cause 24 hour pain)...Went back into the vicious cycle of binge eating and being lazy - gained back around 20 lbs - all this while trying to heal my back medically, but to no avail...After 4 years of self pity and failed medical interventions, I decided to get into swimming (since Nov 2018) - I always had technique from my childhood - so I got the gear and jumped into the pool - I am now swimming for 1 mile on average 3 times a week.I have put my mind to healing my back by swimming and enforcing my core muscles (only solution I have according to all doctors and therapists) and eventually would like to get back to running - and while I'm at it biking!And that's why I'm here - triathlons here I come...Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated!
hey, welcome. Sounds similar to my story..i found this site and mined it for all information possible.. there are tons of articles and general information in the various forums, and if you have a question, go ahead and ask away. Training, nutrition, gear, races, the lot.
2019-03-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: Ma3leemz

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Hi and welcome!
While you're building up toward triathlons with your back and all, maybe look into doing some relays? It can be a great way to experience the awesomeness that is race day, without the pressure of having to do all three legs yourself.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » NewTri Dreams Rss Feed