General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 30 years Later Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-02-15 8:59 PM

Mequon, Wisconsin
Subject: 30 years Later
At 63 yo, my 24 yo son has challenged me to run the Madison HIM in June. BC, I had completed many TRi's in my late 20's and early 30's. When the 3 kids came along there went my fitness (not blaming them). When the offer came, all I could do was to accept the challenge. Now after a couple times in the pool and little running road time, I feeling like I can do this. If the old, nagging hip issue does not return, look out age group 60 -64. I am excited.

2019-02-16 4:30 PM
in reply to: jeffharris

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: 30 years Later
Wow, great story! Welcome!
2019-02-16 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Very cool! Good luck with the comeback!
2019-02-17 1:20 PM

Your story sounds like mine. I used to be a maniacal mountain bike rider. Then put the bike away for 16 years. First triathlon was a sprint at age 61, six months after beginning a fitness regimen. Ten months later, finished a half Ironman at age 62.

It's a great goal. You can do it!
2019-02-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: #5255516

You’re an inspiration. I am 54. Did some sprints in the early 2000’s and then a HIM in 2005, but then stopped. I continued biking and running for awhile but then took some years off running due to ankle issues. I figured out last year that it was gout and meds have solved that problem so I’ve had an overall improvement in fitness. That has me thinking about doing some sprints this year. Got back in the pool last week for the first time in years. If I ca. Conquer the swim I will be ok.

Good luck to you.
2019-02-19 7:59 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

Mequon, Wisconsin
Thanks for the encouragement.
My real goal is not the Iron man, its to get fit for bikepacking. I started last year, took around 10 weekends and drove from 1 to 3 hours from home, parked my car and rode for several days. I bought a tent, a bag, a pad and some paneirs and booked it. Best time ever. The rails to trails are many miles of safe beautiful rides in rural areas. Wisconsin has great trails, low populations up north and good parks.
Don't tell anyone.

2019-02-19 8:19 PM
in reply to: Gorak1987

Mequon, Wisconsin
I have gotten in the pool 3 times now and I have seen improvement every time. I read an an article in Ironman.com under swimming articles. It suggested that it is difficult to get it back but, work on the breathing and stroke technique and your there. It also suggested to train for your event with the weakest sport first and foremost. Its swimming for me as its been 30 years. However, I feel great after an hour in the pool.
I too had an injury in the past that I hope will not hamper me too much. A hip soreness. Due to the snowy, slippery conditions in Wi this winter, I have not chosen to risk a fall on the ice. Very limited running so far. More snow in the next few days. I may have to go to the Petite Center and run indoors. I am anxious to start running and to add 2 events to my training a couple days a week.
Cycling has been my GO TO sport for many years as its EASY ON THE BODY and you get to GO FAST. Way better than running. I joined CycleBar and its a great workout. That keeps cycling strong.

Keep getting wet. It will come back.
2019-02-19 8:33 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

Mequon, Wisconsin
Nice job on the 1/2 Ironman. I am fortunate to have my youngest boy challenge me to the 1/2 Ironman in Madison. He is in CA but wants to return to Madison, where he graduated, to compete in the event in June. Although I take a spinning class several times a week, adding swimming and running is going to be a challenge. Just started swimming and its going well.
My real goal is getting fit for bike packing. That is a great solo or group event. Lots of State Parks in WI that are very welcoming to cyclist. Even if the campsite is full, they will not turn you away if you ride in on your bike. I have ended up setting up in premium spots. I am sure that the stands in all state parks around the country.

Lets keep it up.
Safe riding!
2019-02-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: alltom1

Mequon, Wisconsin
Hay, I have been there. I am good friends with Fred and Barney. Betty is the draw.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 30 years Later Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman to couch last 3 years

Started by Petethemod 1
Views: 495 Posts: 2

2018-07-17 10:34 AM jhaack39

Three year rookie

Started by runesq
Views: 609 Posts: 7

2018-05-31 8:28 AM runesq

Hello from a 39 year old beginner!