General Discussion Race Reports! » Lewis & Clark Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lewis & Clark Marathon and Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Saint Charles, Missouri
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 37s
Overall Rank = 2292/2925
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 190/254
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep very well which is typical pre-race. Got up, had a cup of coffee and a Luna bar, grabbed a bottle of water and headed to the race.
Event warmup:

It seemed ridiculous to warm up when I've never run this far before. I just let my first mile be the warm up.
Run
  • 2h 48m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pleased with my performance given that I had fallen off the training wagon as my logs will attest. I used a walk/run combo and did a 30 sec walk break every 5 minutes for the first 4 miles, then a 45 second walk break every 5 minutes from mile 4 til the end. It worked really well and kept my heart rate where I wanted it. I felt really strong up until the 10 mile point, but from 11 on it was absolute pain with every step. The quads and hamstrings were screaming and my walk was a bizarre limping gait. I did however run - or more honestly shuffle - up that entire hill at mile 11. I didn't walk once up the whole thing which I was really proud of!!! I did have to stop and pee several times which I'm guessing is common for these distances?? It was my first half so I really don't know. I also stopped at mile 6 to adjust my shoe because I had developed blisters on the bottom of three toes on my right foot and I was hoping to make it better. It didn't work, but they didn't really hurt too much - just uncomfortable.

This was a good experience for my first race at this distance and made better by being able to share it with my cousin tliles and Dean Karnazes who is a great motivator! In the end, I have to stop and really think about my accomplishment. Six months ago I couldn't run one mile, and I just finished a half-marathon. If you have the determination and the desire, you can seriously do anything!!
What would you do differently?:

follow my training plan and get my body used to the distance
Post race
Warm down:

I was afraid to stop moving so I kept walking for about 10 minutes then stretched as best as I could but everything was quite tight. Then I grabbed a beer and cheered on my cousin tliles who was doing the full marathon. I also got the chance to meet Dean Karnazes and have him autograph my race number which was awesome!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't looking to go fast at this event, for me it was about the distance. I'm pleased with my time and my pace because it's a little faster (but not much) than what I was doing in my long runs during training. I look forward to following a training plan and seeing what I can do in a future half-mary.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great, and there were a few spectators along the course which I didn't expect given how small (relatively) it was. It did get a little tight sometimes on the Katy Trail, especially with the occasional bikers that were trying to move through the racers. I'm guessing that doing a second loop was miserable for the marathon folks and I was just sad that people left before some of the longer marathon folks finished, especially given that it was downpouring.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:48:37 | 13.1 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/254
Overall: 0/2925
Performance: Good
Course: First half was on the road through St Charles and along some cobblestoned areas in the antique district, second half was on the Katy trail which is mainly hard packed dirt along the Missouri River. Big climb around mile 11 up the river bank and back to the road with a finish in the Family Arena parking lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 11:15 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Lewis & Clark Marathon and Half Marathon

2006-09-19 7:48 AM
in reply to: #545311

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Lewis & Clark Marathon and Half Marathon

Congratulations on your first half mary (of many more in the future)!!!

i wish I had known other BT'ers would be there. We gotta get on that next time.

anyways, great work!  how are you feeling today?

~B

2006-09-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: #545428

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
today, there's still some soreness but walking down the stairs isn't quite the problem it was yesterday   I didn't realize other BT'ers were going to be there either.  Oh well, you would have been finishing right around the time I was at the turnaround anyway
2006-09-19 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
You rock!  Breaking down those goals one at a time! Awesome!
2006-09-19 11:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Great 1st HM!! It's a real acomplishment - well done. I know the "hamstring walk" ( ) - my first marathon ended somewhat similarly!

You'll be doing the full distance before you know it!

Well done!

2006-09-20 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
great job. Cool pictures too. I just looked at some of mine from action sports, yuck! I look like i might be dying! Great race!

2006-09-22 10:02 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois

Congrats!!!!

I am sooooo jealous you got to meet Dean.  I really wanted to do one of the marathons with him, but I just got started on my distance running too late.

Good job on getting through, and breaking you time goal, on you first half.  Halfs are a great distance.

Keep up the training.  Look what you did in 6 months.  Just think what you'll be like in 6 years.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lewis & Clark Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed