General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » love to bike, run, and ......meh Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-02-23 12:22 PM

User image

Subject: love to bike, run, and ......meh
Hello all,

I'm Tyler. New here. I've done mountain bike, road bike, duathlons and run races and thought I might as well put it all together and add some water. I signed up for my big test, next October with a HIM in Wilmington, NC and a few shorter ones along the way leading up to the big test. I love cycling races with mountains simply because I love the descents.

I am the co-founder of a non-profit, Operation RSF, that uses physical activity and exercise to combat the symptoms of PTSD. I am also working on a degree in sports and performance psychology so I usually use the time on rides/runs to listen to podcasts and books on tape to continuing my journey towards ultimate nerd status.

Bikes:
Road: Orbea Avant
Mountain: Cannondale Jekyll

I love both of these bikes.

Anyways, thank you for letting me join this community and I am looking forward to learning from all of you and your experiences.

Tyler

2019-02-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: t_dub_meh

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: love to bike, run, and ......meh

I did B2B back in 2014 and they said a Dorito's bag could make the swim cutoff, so you picked a good venue if you're not a strong swimmer.  

2019-02-25 1:23 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

That is one of the reasons I am going for this as my first HIM. I have heard that from quite a few people due to the current. I have 236 days before the race and that's a lot of time to figure out this water thing probably.
2019-02-25 7:15 PM

User image

If you can get in about a swim a week between now and then I bet you'll be fine. Don't under estimate the freak out factor of being in open water. Get some open water swim (OWS) training in. If theres a public beach, they usually have markers for the swim area, swim along the marker ropes or pilings, back and forth until you can do your distance. In a pool you could try no-touch turns, turn in the lane before you reach the wall. And remember if you do have a problem, just flip on your back.
2019-02-26 1:38 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Originally posted by riles32807

If you can get in about a swim a week between now and then I bet you'll be fine. Don't under estimate the freak out factor of being in open water. Get some open water swim (OWS) training in. If theres a public beach, they usually have markers for the swim area, swim along the marker ropes or pilings, back and forth until you can do your distance. In a pool you could try no-touch turns, turn in the lane before you reach the wall. And remember if you do have a problem, just flip on your back.

I really appreciate the tips! I have been lucky to get 2-3 swims a week in at the local pool (25 yard pool). I definitely need to get some exposure to swimming in an open and salt water situation. Also swimming in the mass starts is one of my concerns as well.
2019-02-26 10:30 AM

User image

I don't know of a good way to approximate a mass start. Starting to the side or holding back a couple of seconds on your first race are probably your best options. My first race, I held back a couple of seconds & the pack from the next wave completely ran me over half way through the swim. (They probably would have anyway) Comfort in the water, comfort OWS, comfort racing, they come with time & practice.

Your first race is going to be a learning experience more than anything. You're going to be constantly be thinking, 'well that didn't work the way I thought it would', 'wow that actually worked!' and 'oh so that's how you do that.' Try your best, but understand that your goals are A) finish B) enjoy it C) learn as much as you can.

2019-02-27 12:14 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Originally posted by riles32807

I don't know of a good way to approximate a mass start. Starting to the side or holding back a couple of seconds on your first race are probably your best options. My first race, I held back a couple of seconds & the pack from the next wave completely ran me over half way through the swim. (They probably would have anyway) Comfort in the water, comfort OWS, comfort racing, they come with time & practice.

Your first race is going to be a learning experience more than anything. You're going to be constantly be thinking, 'well that didn't work the way I thought it would', 'wow that actually worked!' and 'oh so that's how you do that.' Try your best, but understand that your goals are A) finish B) enjoy it C) learn as much as you can.

Thank you for your advice! Comfort in the water is my biggest weakness currently, but hopefully the more I do it, the better I will get. I think staying on the outside will be key to keep the fits and feet out of my face. We shall see how it goes!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » love to bike, run, and ......meh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

From meh swimmer to 750 metres in 7 months?

Started by tri-ingintoornto
Views: 580 Posts: 9

2019-01-12 10:24 AM lutzman

I love suffering.

Started by Transcendence
Views: 366 Posts: 1

2018-10-02 6:14 AM Transcendence

New to tri - coming from ultra trail running

Started by Brigitte52
Views: 468 Posts: 2

2018-06-18 4:57 PM McFuzz