Other Resources The Political Joe » OT - Naked and Afraid Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-04 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: OT - Naked and Afraid
Anyone watch this show? I used to but got tired of the idiot contestants they put on. With nothing of interest on TV yesterday afternoon I watched another episode and had to turn it off.

My problems with the show.

1. Being naked is total gimmick. They give them a knife and sometimes a fire starter. I more realistic survival challenge would be if they had clothes but did not have a knife or pot to cook in or fire starter.

2. They need to screen contestants better. Woman yesterday tapped out on day 2. WTH was she thinking?! If you are going into a 14 day challenge you need to train! Go into the woods with a knife and see if you can live off the land for a few days?! Buy a survival book and read it! Learn how to make a snare, build a fire, find drinkable water, where to find food, the numerous ways to catch fish.

3. They seem to spend a lot of time sitting around. They should spend 95% of their waking hours improving their shelter, setting snares, making shoes, making spears and bow/arrow, hunting, fishing, etc.

4. Many of the contestants lack even very basic survival skills. You can live for 2 weeks with no food or shelter but cannot live without water. Number one priority should be a source of drinkable water. Second thing I'd do is make a spear - never know when you might see food.

Anyway, I cannot watch the show anymore. My wife gets tired of yelling "You idiots" at the TV. Dual Survival was a much better show.

In all fairness, the show does not tell you all the 'rules'.....such as you are not allowed to kill moneys or alligators which is what people would really do in a survival situation.

OK, back to your regularly schedule political discourse.

2019-03-04 9:50 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: OT - Naked and Afraid

Sports.....that's basically all I watch on TV.   Missed out on MASH, Sienfeld, Friends, Survivior, etc, etc, blah, blah.  I feel SO left out. 

2019-03-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Sports.....that's basically all I watch on TV.   Missed out on MASH, Sienfeld, Friends, Survivior, etc, etc, blah, blah.  I feel SO left out. 

Yes, you are depraved....I mean deprived.

I spread my TV watching time pretty evenly between News, History, Discovery and Science Channels. About the only sports I watch is SEC football. Have never watched Seinfeld but have seen every episode of Friends multiple times; watched MASH in the 70s but grew tied of it long before the series ended.

My wife is a fan of Survivor so I've listened to it in the background while I read. I picked up enough of the show to know I hate the very premise of it. It should be called F*** Your Buddy. You have to 'make friends' or alliances with people and then eventually stab them in the back. The whole show is about deceit and betrayal as it is every man/woman for themselves!
2019-03-04 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Wicked Tuna.....that's the only thing I will pretty regularly  gravitate to as I'm surfing through looking for a game of some type.  Discovery and Nat geo are worthy TV....most of the rest I can't deal with.  Reality shows and sitcoms.......hell no!!!

Edited by Left Brain 2019-03-04 10:48 AM
2019-03-04 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Wicked Tuna.....that's the only thing I will pretty regularly  gravitate to as I'm surfing through looking for a game of some type.  Discovery and Nat geo are worthy TV....most of the rest I can't deal with.  Reality shows and sitcoms.......hell no!!!

I don't know if you call these reality shows but I like Counting Cars, Garage Rehab, Fast & Loud. One of my new hobbies is restoring old cars. I lose money on every deal but I make it up in volume. :-) Seriously there is no money to be made in car restoration.

Recently started watching Barnwood Builders. Woodworking is my first love....long before old cars. These 5 guys take down 100 to 200 year old barns and houses and salvage the wood. Sometimes they build a barn using reclaimed timbers. Always learn some history watching that. I am retiring in 2 weeks and plan to buy a sawmill and make my own logs and lumber from the timber on our property. Would like to build a small log cabin....or maybe a smokehouse out of logs.

Antiques Roadshow one my wife and I both like.....as is Aerial America on the Smithsonian channel. If you can't make it to every state to explore and learn some history, Ariel America is the next best thing. They have an hour long show devoted to each state and take your through all the history and historical landmarks with spectacular aerial camera views.
2019-03-04 12:46 PM

User image

Pro

There is a guy down next to our hunting lodge who basically lives off the grid.  He built his own cabin with a sawmill that he put together and it's a REALLY cool place.  That would be an awesome retirement project!  I would take some pics for you but the owner would probably either shoot me or take my phone at gunpoint.  LMAO

He's about 65 years old and walks the perimeter of his 100 acres every morning with a backpack, rifle on sling, and pistol on his belt......."staying ready".     

He'll stop by when he sees that we are cooking breakfast....always a treat.

Edited by Left Brain 2019-03-04 12:47 PM

2019-03-04 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

There is a guy down next to our hunting lodge who basically lives off the grid.  He built his own cabin with a sawmill that he put together and it's a REALLY cool place.  That would be an awesome retirement project!  I would take some pics for you but the owner would probably either shoot me or take my phone at gunpoint.  LMAO

He's about 65 years old and walks the perimeter of his 100 acres every morning with a backpack, rifle on sling, and pistol on his belt......."staying ready".     

He'll stop by when he sees that we are cooking breakfast....always a treat.

This is the mill I'm looking at:

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Portable-Sawmills/LT15start-Portabl...

It happens to be on sale thru 25 March....my last day of work is 15 March. I told my wife the timing of the sale and my retirement must be an omen.
2019-03-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

I don't know......I think the biggest piece of machinery I'm gonna operate in retirement will be a trolling motor. LOL

2019-03-04 1:56 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I don't know......I think the biggest piece of machinery I'm gonna operate in retirement will be a trolling motor. LOL

Many years ago I was talking to a buddy of mine about early retirement. He said he'd read an article that said if you have many interests outside of work you will do fine retiring early but if your only activity outside of work is golf or if your only hobby is fishing you will be bored.

You hunt and fish....do a little gardening....what else?

I enjoy fishing, boating, hiking, camping, woodworking, working on old cars, gardening, travel, swimming...the sawmill will just be one more thing to tinker with.
2019-03-04 2:27 PM

User image

Pro

Besides hunting and fishing, gardening, etc. I do quite a bit of firearm building, repair and reloading.  I won't be bored.  I've never sat still in my life.....i won't start when I quit working.  We are also going to buy 30-50 acres and build a custom  home where we can entertain our kids and grandkids.  We're actively looking for the ground now.  I'll be the general contractor for the project so that will take a couple years of "work".

We're leaving the metro area......for good.

Edited by Left Brain 2019-03-04 2:28 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » OT - Naked and Afraid Rss Feed