General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Jammer Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-05 3:44 PM

Subject: Swim Jammer Question
Hey folks- I've got a swim jammer question for the masses here. I've been doing more cycling recently and my Tyr Endurance jammers are getting to be really uncomfortable at the leg openings. I don't have huge legs, but after 45 min in the pool, I'll have a red indentation around each quad, from the leg opening seams. If I try to do kick drills of any length, one hamstring or the other manages to ball up in a spectacular cramp-I don't know if that's related to the suit, but I've never had issues with hamstring cramps while swimming before.

Has anyone found a decent jammer option that doesn't have super tight legs? I tried a regular (non-endurance) Tyr jammer and had the same leg issues. I've tried reading reviews on Swim Outlet, but everything I've looked at all have reviews that mention tight legs. I'd like to start swimming with a masters team again, but I'd also like to find a decent suit option. Anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!

2019-03-06 2:22 AM
in reply to: medic4070

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim Jammer Question

Originally posted by medic4070 Hey folks- I've got a swim jammer question for the masses here. I've been doing more cycling recently and my Tyr Endurance jammers are getting to be really uncomfortable at the leg openings. I don't have huge legs, but after 45 min in the pool, I'll have a red indentation around each quad, from the leg opening seams. If I try to do kick drills of any length, one hamstring or the other manages to ball up in a spectacular cramp-I don't know if that's related to the suit, but I've never had issues with hamstring cramps while swimming before. Has anyone found a decent jammer option that doesn't have super tight legs? I tried a regular (non-endurance) Tyr jammer and had the same leg issues. I've tried reading reviews on Swim Outlet, but everything I've looked at all have reviews that mention tight legs. I'd like to start swimming with a masters team again, but I'd also like to find a decent suit option. Anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!

The first and last name in going fast in the water is Speedo.  They have been making swim-wear the longest and in my opinion do it the best.

2019-03-06 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I've used them all... and some are better than others.

But, recently found MY KILOMETRE. They are pretty comfy and do the job so far after 3 months. So much so I ordered another pair and pitched all my backups.

https://amzn.to/2HldqE3
2019-03-06 10:56 AM

If you're just using those jammers for training, you could cut a small incision into the tight lycra band around each leg. I actually do this to a few pairs because I find it annoying on my hamstrings. I typically use $14 jammers and don't stress too much about each pair. Let me know if you need pictures of what I do or any more details.
2019-03-06 12:06 PM

User image

I have TYR jammers and find that they do tend to loosen up overtime. However, each style fits a little bit different. I am one of the larger triathletes and have built bigger leg muscles from previous athletic training in college football and rugby. So, I have experienced similar uncomfortable feeling from tight legs and I will 100% recommend the ROKA square brief suits. I know a lot of guys don't like wearing briefs. Especially non-swimmer types but the square cut makes it feel like I'm covered a little bit more than a speedo weggie and still gives my legs enough freedom to move. Check them out.
2019-03-07 6:03 AM
in reply to: jnuger

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'll take a look at those. I was reading in some other forums and wondered if anyone had tried the brief and nylon/mesh drag suit combination?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Jammer Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5k swim question

Started by tatous
Views: 2180 Posts: 12

2018-09-12 9:18 AM TheCrownsOwn

Swimming Technique Tips for Triathlon Swims - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 1310 Posts: 2

2018-04-29 1:38 PM tazrocky

Newbie - Watch Question for Ladies

Started by jpetrehn
Views: 798 Posts: 9

2018-03-12 10:54 AM jmhpsu93

Finis Tempo Trainer question

Started by GLC1968
Views: 3793 Posts: 12

2019-02-04 6:49 PM mlegrand

Massage question - Does stroke direction matter?

Started by triosaurus
Views: 14225 Posts: 22

2022-06-30 10:23 AM MT_Mainer