Other Resources The Political Joe » O/T Retirement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-14 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: O/T Retirement
Today is my last full day at work. I will come in tomorrow to 'out process' then I'm free!

Yesterday I joined a gym and couple of weeks ago I renewed my membership at the pool. My first and most important priority is me. I went from 2-time ironman finisher to couch potato. I read a quote recently: "Yet, it seems that through hard work, one can keep away boredom, poverty, and vice." - Cunégonde. So I have ordered a portable Woodmizer sawmill and will doing part-time custom sawing turning logs into lumber. The mill is on-order and will ship 17 April so I have a month to get into good enough shape to be able to handle logs and lumber.

I figure I no longer have the "I don't have time" excuse. Getting healthy is now my full time job. I am 56 but I am much too young to feel this damn old.

My biggest concern is my tendency towards excess...nothing exceeds like excess is my mantra. I will have to ride the brake so I don't try to do too much too soon and get injured.

2019-03-14 11:06 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: O/T Retirement
Congrats!

Buy an axe and start cutting down trees. My guess is you'll be able to handle the sawmill when it arrives. And be careful with that sawmill, those things have a mind of their own.
2019-03-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Congratulations!!  Enjoy every minute.

2019-03-14 6:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

Congratulations! My husband would be thrilled to retire when he is 56!

2019-03-15 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rogillio

Today is my last full day at work. I will come in tomorrow to 'out process' then I'm free!

Yesterday I joined a gym and couple of weeks ago I renewed my membership at the pool. My first and most important priority is me. I went from 2-time ironman finisher to couch potato. I read a quote recently: "Yet, it seems that through hard work, one can keep away boredom, poverty, and vice." - Cunégonde. So I have ordered a portable Woodmizer sawmill and will doing part-time custom sawing turning logs into lumber. The mill is on-order and will ship 17 April so I have a month to get into good enough shape to be able to handle logs and lumber.

I figure I no longer have the "I don't have time" excuse. Getting healthy is now my full time job. I am 56 but I am much too young to feel this damn old.

My biggest concern is my tendency towards excess...nothing exceeds like excess is my mantra. I will have to ride the brake so I don't try to do too much too soon and get injured.

I retired in 2013. I figured my training and a bunch of small projects would keep me busy and they did. But I can't remember anything significant I did during those years. In 2016 I started a project for fun and that has been way more fulfilling. I can remember probably every week in the last 3 years.

I believe you need that "something" that you really want to do when you wake up in the morning.

Putting emphasis on getting healthier is fantastic.
Personally I find it harder to stay away from the food fridge (and beer fridge) when not working :-)
Make sure you don't drive you spouse crazy.

Find something equally mentally stimulating as physically. I find our mental ability actually declines as fast our physical.

2019-03-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Rogillio

I retired in 2013. I figured my training and a bunch of small projects would keep me busy and they did. But I can't remember anything significant I did during those years. In 2016 I started a project for fun and that has been way more fulfilling. I can remember probably every week in the last 3 years.

I believe you need that "something" that you really want to do when you wake up in the morning.

Putting emphasis on getting healthier is fantastic.
Personally I find it harder to stay away from the food fridge (and beer fridge) when not working :-)
Make sure you don't drive you spouse crazy.

Find something equally mentally stimulating as physically. I find our mental ability actually declines as fast our physical.

Thanks for the tips.

I am the type who is easily bored but I like trying new things. So my thinking is I will try new things. If I get bored, I will move on and try something else. The internet if full of ideas for retirees. I might go work at Yellowstone one summer just to do something different.

The only thing I know I don't want to do is sit on my arse all day in front of a monitor! Men and women were not meant to sit on their rear all day. We have big glutes and hams and our pecs/deltoids/traps/bis are meant for much more than pushing a little mouse around and pushing buttons. I guess that is why we (society) have manufactured ways for us to stay fit. We make a machine to life weight for the sake of lifting the weight. :-) I've noticed you don't see many farmers at the gym. :-)

2019-03-20 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Congratulations! I'm 61 and not quite ready to call it quits, but think about pretty regularly.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » O/T Retirement Rss Feed