General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zone 2 training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-15 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Subject: Zone 2 training
Ok I have been reading a lot about how you should be training quite a bit in zone 2. Only problem is that in order for me to stay in zone 2 on the run i have to be basically just walking. Not even a slow jog and I go above zone 2. The bike is pretty much the same. I have to be in a really small gear riding a very slow speed. Does this mean that my heart is out of shape that much?
I know they say to stick with it for a while and i will notice my pace increasing at the same heart rate. I was just wondering if anyone else is raining like this and if they had the same experience when they first started.

I am just getting back into training and I am in my base building phase at the moment. But if I keep in this zone I don't know how I will increase my speed at all riding and running(walking) this slow.

Thanks!!
Chris

2019-03-15 10:07 AM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Subject: RE: Zone 2 training
I think the first question is how did you set your heart rate zones? The accuracy of your zones is very important and if you use that 220-age thing it likely won't work for a lot of people. After that, I know a lot of people that do a run walk to stay in zone 2.
2019-03-15 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I did a treadmill VO2Max test for my cycling to get my zones. I plan to do the same next month for my running zones, and in the meantime I'm using my cycling zones when I run. I figure its better than nothing.

So, that being said. Yes, so slow. Glacially slow. We're talking I have to ride on the trainer to get a real Z2 workout in, because I'm physically incapable of riding outdoors for any significant period of time (what with gentle inclines and all) and remain in Z2. 11.2mph. No joke.
As for running, even my 30 second run/90 second walk puts me out of my estimated Z2. A very brisk walk is about right.
I've done plenty of triathlons, but it would seem I have only ever trained in the grey zone, and never really built my aerobic engine. It really sucks. It isn't fun right now. However, even in just a few months, I am starting to see small gains. When I first got my zones, the bike rides were in the low 10mph range. I will stay the course and report back.
The hardest part has been finding workout friends that are my speed twin. I do some creative stuff, like ride my bike alongside my friend while she runs. Or maybe she'll do an easy Z1 run for her, but for me that day its some Z4 intervals. Check the ego and trust the process. And find amazing friends to keep it fun while you put in the work.
2019-03-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
I also dont know how accurate my heart rate monitor is. I am just using the one on my watch which takes your pulse on your wrist and I have read that they are not always that accurate. I have ordered a chest strap monitor that I can sync with my watch so I am looking forward to see the difference when I get that.

Edited by TRIMAN413 2019-03-15 12:36 PM
2019-03-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: jnuger

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Well I have not done a VO2Max test, but I also don't use the 220-age thing. I actually plugged my info into my TomTom watch and am using what they came up with for me. Now how accurate it is I honestly don't know.

I probably really need to do some more research on heart rate training. Right now I am in a base building phase. I dont know when i should start do interval training.
2019-03-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by TRIMAN413 Ok I have been reading a lot about how you should be training quite a bit in zone 2. Only problem is that in order for me to stay in zone 2 on the run i have to be basically just walking. Not even a slow jog and I go above zone 2. The bike is pretty much the same. I have to be in a really small gear riding a very slow speed. Does this mean that my heart is out of shape that much? I know they say to stick with it for a while and i will notice my pace increasing at the same heart rate. I was just wondering if anyone else is raining like this and if they had the same experience when they first started.

I am just getting back into training and I am in my base building phase at the moment. But if I keep in this zone I don't know how I will increase my speed at all riding and running(walking) this slow.

Thanks!!
Chris

Hey Chris,

There is hardly a day goes by that I don't hear an athlete voice the exact same concerns and ask the same questions.  Yes, if you are just starting an exercise program or are returning to an active exercise program after an extended absence, you will likely have to walk - possibly most of the time - to keep your heart rate in Zone 2.  Rest assured, as your body begins to build a base level of fitness you will soon be able to maintain a quicker pace while keeping your HR in the proper zone.

That said, before we really talk about zones, we should make sure your zones are set properly.  Before we talk about that, we should talk about where you are currently.  Never mind zones for a moment, if you can't run for thirty continuous minutes, you should fore-go a field test until you can run for thirty un-interrupted minutes.  If you can't do a thirty minute run today, you can use a "Couch-to-5k" plan to build your base fitness - http://bscmultisport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/c25k.pdf.

Once you can safely run 30-minutes, you can perform a lactate threshold field test and properly set your zones - https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=553370&posts=1#M5252034

Happy training!  Hope that helps.

2019-03-15 2:07 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by TRIMAN413 Ok I have been reading a lot about how you should be training quite a bit in zone 2. Only problem is that in order for me to stay in zone 2 on the run i have to be basically just walking. Not even a slow jog and I go above zone 2. The bike is pretty much the same. I have to be in a really small gear riding a very slow speed. Does this mean that my heart is out of shape that much? I know they say to stick with it for a while and i will notice my pace increasing at the same heart rate. I was just wondering if anyone else is raining like this and if they had the same experience when they first started.

Thanks!!
Chris

Hey Chris,

There is hardly a day goes by that I don't hear an athlete voice the exact same concerns and ask the same questions.  Yes, if you are just starting an exercise program or are returning to an active exercise program after an extended absence, you will likely have to walk - possibly most of the time - to keep your heart rate in Zone 2.  Rest assured, as your body begins to build a base level of fitness you will soon be able to maintain a quicker pace while keeping your HR in the proper zone.

That said, before we really talk about zones, we should make sure your zones are set properly.  Before we talk about that, we should talk about where you are currently.  Never mind zones for a moment, if you can't run for thirty continuous minutes, you should fore-go a field test until you can run for thirty un-interrupted minutes.  If you can't do a thirty minute run today, you can use a "Couch-to-5k" plan to build your base fitness - http://bscmultisport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/c25k.pdf.

Once you can safely run 30-minutes, you can perform a lactate threshold field test and properly set your zones - https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=553370&posts=1#M5252034

Happy training!  Hope that helps.

Thank you!! I will work on attaining both of these and go from there.

2019-03-18 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Sound pretty typical first time training with HR.

Most athletes start with a very small spectrum of HR zones since they only trained at one effort. That effort being the best they could manage for a period of time or distance. Over time you will get faster, but you won't be able to function outside that gray area (Z2, Z4, Z5) very well. Hence having a hard time staying in Z2.

Stick with it. Try to jog as slow as you can to avoid walking if that's an issue.

Key is that hard days are HARD, and easy days are EASY. If you work in the middle all the time, you won't make fitness gains that will help you in races.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zone 2 training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Setting Heart Rate Training Zones

Started by k9car363
Views: 940 Posts: 1

2018-11-22 3:59 AM k9car363

Power meter training zone question

Started by kz9jvq
Views: 1300 Posts: 16

2018-08-29 2:02 PM jmhpsu93

IM 70.3 St. George Registration and time zone question