United States
Playtri
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 23s
Overall Rank = 61/291
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/30
Pre-race routine:

Knew that race wasn't going to start until 8am, so made sure I brought some snacks (applesauce pouch and banana) to eat once I got to the natatorium.
Event warmup:

Although it was cold outside (40 degrees), inside temp was good and I wanted to do a little warming up, so I swam 100m to get the butterflies out. Was a little worried I'd be freezing while I waited to actually enter the water for the race (bib #135), but I was able to stay focused and not get cold.
Swim
  • 06m 10s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like I flew the first 50m, and I knew I was going way too fast, but couldn't get myself to slow down. Wanted to catch the person in front of me. That negatively effected my breathing after the first 100 and I didn't get caught up with my breathing until the last 50m or so. And even then I was still breathing too fast. I kind of didn't care because it's such a short swim. I passed a couple people and got passed by at least 1 person.
What would you do differently?:

Get into my own rhythm better and faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

It was pretty cold and I brought a lot of clothes to potentially change into. I skipped the tights and socks and forgot about gloves. I drip strip out of my zipped top and put on underarmour shirt. Turned out to be a good decision, because although it was cold, it didn't kill me.

T1 went really well.
Bike
  • 25m 39s
  • 9 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Kicked ass on the bike (well, for me I did). I started out well and got passed by a good looking woman that I'd been talking to before the race and so I wanted to keep her in my sights. She was fast on the bike and looking back on it, that helped me go faster than I probably would have otherwise on the bike. I accelerated out of corners better than I usually do.
I was a little worried that my breathing and heart rate never seemed to really settle and so I thought my run might suffer a little (it didn't).

Although it was a super short course, probably the fastest bike split I've had. I red-lined it pretty much the whole time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Felt like T2 was longer than it actually was. Used my slip on shoes that I would only wear for a sprint. Didn't cinch the laces up correctly on the right shoe. I stopped while still in transition to look at left shoe and adjust but I think it was already ok. Don't know why I didn't check the right shoe since I was already stopped (dinosaur brain probably) and I noticed it quickly being a little loose on the run.

Learn to get out of shoes while still on the bike
Run
  • 24m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

That same woman I was trying to stay close to on the bike beat me out of transition and I wanted to pass her. She really took off and I wasn't sure I could catch her. I told myself to just be patient and that I probably could. I didn't want to start out too fast. I think I averaged probably 7:50/mile the entire time.
When I was getting to the last corner before the straightaway to the finish line I picked up my pace and eyed each person that I wanted to pass. Maybe 200 feet out I really started to sprint (not sure what got into my head to make me do that) and I caught a college age woman and she matched my speed. I was about to give up and let her win, but something inside me told me to go faster and I kicked harder. It was great fun. Haven't really tried racing like that in a long time.

Nothing. I've been training for endurance and not speed lately, so I'm very happy with my time. This was mainly just a training race.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and changed out of the shoes that were rubbing my ankle badly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wasn't specifically training for a sprint, so if I had, I feel like I could have been a little faster on the run. I think all the cycling volume actually helped me to be faster on the bike than usual.

Event comments:

Not much post race activity to check out.

Last updated: 2019-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:10 | 300 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/30
Overall: 58/291
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50m pool. Up 1 lane, down the next til we finished.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:25:39 | 09 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/30
Overall: 33/291
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course, almost all flat and tiny wind coming out of north and west.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:19 | 03.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/30
Overall: 58/291
Course: 1 loop through mostly residential. A lot of sidewalks that were kinda crowded because there was also a 5k going on and a lot of the slower runners were still on the course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2019-03-18 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: Luck of the Irish Triathlon

2019-03-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #5256770

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Subject: RE: Luck of the Irish Triathlon
So did you catch the girl or get her number afterward? Only asking since you kept mentioning her!!

Great race by the way. Congrats!!

Chris
2019-04-17 3:39 PM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: RE: Luck of the Irish Triathlon
Omg, no. I kind of forget that others can see these reports (I know I have to click the 'make report public' link or whatever). I feel kinda embarrassed now.

I think I'm destined to be single forever now. Had 2 LTR's that I just couldn't manage to sustain.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luck of the Irish Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

O'Gara's Irish Run

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 525 Posts: 1

2019-03-16 9:05 AM stevestenzel

Casey Irish Scholarship 5k

Started by maureen
Views: 463 Posts: 1

2018-05-20 9:55 AM maureen