Applied Race Management
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 17s
Overall Rank = 130/285
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/20
Pre-race routine:

I dressed like a leprechaun that threw up - varying shades of green! Lucky shamrock socks (kelly green), bright fluorescent green billed hat, ditto on t-shirt under my yet another shade of medium green 1/4 zip outer shirt. No gloves. Capris. Green and black RunPA half buff to help me breathe.

Race registration and activities were in a different location this race because of an event in the usual building. Thankfully another runner steered us in the correct direction before we went to the wrong place. Picked up the 3rd medal of the series (the head of the snowman), our bibs and our shirts, then took them back to the car.
Event warmup:

2 easy, higher cadence laps around the track, then continued the easy run on the way to the registration building to use the restrooms one last time. After that we headed over to the start where I continued stretching and moving.
Run
  • 29m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

I'm proud of this result, it is a new 5K record for me and on a somewhat hilly route to boot! My hopes were to negative split each mile and I did: 10:04, 10:00, 9:13.

The weather was right where I like it - cool without being cold. 45*F with some wind (10-13 mph) and mostly sunny. Perfect in my book, minus the wind but even that wasn't horrible.

EFP thought he was going to pace me but I just wasn't comfortable with that so I basically begged him to just run his own race away from me, LOL. He did after a little 'arguing'. It was good he did; he ended up getting 3rd in his AG!

Near the end I looked at the mileage on my watch and saw 2.66. Was it really .5 miles to the finish? I didn't think so. Close but it seemed not right. As I made the last turn to the finish stretch I took another peek at the distance and was so sure some how I did something wrong to be off a little bit. I saw EFP waving and yelling for me and I kept making gestures and mouthing, "It's short, I'm short" or something along those lines and didn't really hit the afterburners (not that I would've had a whole lot to give but I probably had a little something).

It took me a while to accept the fact that it was showing just a little short for others, too, and to accept my accomplishment as valid. Even if I'd had to run a little bit more I believe I'd still have a new PR or at the very least a race PR.

What would you do differently?:

Start myself a little closer to the front, I was dodging and passing an awful lot of people at the very beginning especially. Run a little faster at the very end, although admittedly I didn't have a lot extra to offer.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around gasping for air, then we made our way to the truck for warmer clothes and drink bottles. Next stop: SOUP!! It was extra good, I think. I thanked them for being there year after year, race after race with their delicious soup.

Hung out for 5K awards which they did earlier than usual which was excellent. Door prizes were next but we didn't win anything. Left as they started the 10K awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not going to answer this because I gave it pretty much my all. I gave this race a solid effort.

Event comments:

I run for soup!

Last updated: 2018-12-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:17 | 05 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 20/285
Performance: Good
Course: Changed slightly again from last time and I liked it.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2019-03-18 11:51 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Frozen Foot Winter Series #3

2019-03-18 5:19 PM
in reply to: #5256778

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Frozen Foot Winter Series #3

Great job!!
I get the feeling of being gypped on the PR when the course is short by your Garmin. You killed it with great negative splits!1

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frozen Foot Winter Series #3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Frozen Foot Winter Series #2

Started by melbo55
Views: 821 Posts: 2

2019-03-10 6:09 PM QueenZipp

Fiesta Island Time Trial Series

Started by Tri-a-betic
Views: 531 Posts: 1

2019-01-20 6:38 PM Tri-a-betic