General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to the State Forum Pages? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-18 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Subject: What Happened to the State Forum Pages?
Just like the title states. Didn't there use to be forum pages for each state so you could chat to people in your own state? Ask questions about upcoming races and stuff like that.

2019-03-18 3:21 PM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What Happened to the State Forum Pages?
2019-03-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I still miss these.  It's a real hole. 

2019-03-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi! I hear you all.

A few years ago when we pulled the plug on them, we were battling a problem with very little discussion happening in the Triathlon Talk forum, such that it looked "dead" when new people arrived. In an effort to increase discussion here, we consolidated many of the forums. The thinking was that social media had changed the way people interact online, and discussion forums just weren't going to come back like this, so we should consolidate.

I can see that having state forums was valuable, though, for people making connections in their local areas, forming training groups, etc.

Please share ideas for how we can handle this moving forward:
1) Make state forums again
2) Use the search to "find friends" on the site in your state
3) Create Facebook Groups under the BT brand by state or city, upon request or for each state
4) your ideas...

2019-03-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Originally posted by alicefoeller

Hi! I hear you all.

A few years ago when we pulled the plug on them, we were battling a problem with very little discussion happening in the Triathlon Talk forum, such that it looked "dead" when new people arrived. In an effort to increase discussion here, we consolidated many of the forums. The thinking was that social media had changed the way people interact online, and discussion forums just weren't going to come back like this, so we should consolidate.

I can see that having state forums was valuable, though, for people making connections in their local areas, forming training groups, etc.

Please share ideas for how we can handle this moving forward:
1) Make state forums again
2) Use the search to "find friends" on the site in your state
3) Create Facebook Groups under the BT brand by state or city, upon request or for each state
4) your ideas...

Thank you Alice.

I completely understand your reasoning. I think forums on any site(not just BT) have taken quite a hit. As much I as I enjoyed the State forum I don't think creating 50 new forums for all the states are the answer either. I think you would get some interaction with some States but definitely not all of them.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? What if you created regional forums? Just a thought. Anyone else opinion would be greatly appreciated.

2019-03-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: TRIMAN413

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by TRIMAN413

Thank you Alice.

I completely understand your reasoning. I think forums on any site(not just BT) have taken quite a hit. As much I as I enjoyed the State forum I don't think creating 50 new forums for all the states are the answer either. I think you would get some interaction with some States but definitely not all of them.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? What if you created regional forums? Just a thought. Anyone else opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Yup....I think regional forums are a good idea (e.g. MW, NW, etc.). I'm on a couple of car forums and that's how they set up local gatherings, discussions and such.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to the State Forum Pages? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

DNF on my first standard triathlon, what to prevent it from happening again?

Started by C.S.NOR
Views: 842 Posts: 8

2018-07-23 9:12 AM McFuzz

Is BT Dead? Another Spam Forum and Time To Move On?

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1273 Posts: 21

2018-07-17 10:54 AM lisac957

Is Anyone From BeginnerTriathlete.com actually monitoring the forums?

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 751 Posts: 6

2018-06-14 1:24 PM TheCrownsOwn

Which state has the highest per capita triathletes?

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1581 Posts: 3

2018-04-10 2:17 PM b2run