Playtri
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 24s
Overall Rank = 199/291
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am for a breakfast of a bagel and a small banana-peach-protein powder smoothie. Bike tires pumped, bike racked to the car, we're ready to go. Most prep done yesterday. Rest of time spent visualizing race plan.
Event warmup:

No warm-up at all. We hit the Toll Road at about 7am, on a Sunday, and immediately came to a complete stop due to some work being done on the road, held us up for a bit. By the time we got on site, all I had time for was setting up transition before it closed. Of course, I then waited an hour after the start before I finally got to jump into the water.
Swim
  • 09m 11s
  • 338 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Bad swim. Got fatigued and continue to feel out of sync with trying new methods learned (or not) in Pool School. When I roll to breathe I feel like everything kind of falls apart and I start to sink. Feels like I'm fighting the water so I get winded easily. Not going anaerobic or gasping for breath, but just getting too fatigued too easily. Very frustrating. Doing eight minutes or so for this distance in workouts, so this was discouraging, particularly since my whole season plan is predicated on how my swimming comes along. For some reason, the timing results didn't pick up my swim time, so I can't rate that with the overall crowd.
What would you do differently?:

No option but to keep working this new method.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Very slow here, but I didn't plan for a brilliant T1 due to cold. Pulling gloves over wet hands and then a bike jacket over a wet torso do not equate to a fast transition. Those two items alone probably cost 45 seconds, maybe a minute.

Get a little smoother. I think this will improve as weather does and attire and such becomes more normal.
Bike
  • 28m 59s
  • 9 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid bike. Felt good. Basically pushed to the point just before stinging pain from excess effort kicked in. I did push harder on the second backside, just for the heck of it. I was really pumped over my timing because I knew it would allow me to beat my 1:20 expectation. But - and here's the secret - my Garmin recorded the course at 8.25 miles. Courses measured short always deliver great results!

Nothing at all, quite pleased with this leg.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Another slow transition. Always gonna be that way when you sit down to pull on socks and have to tie your shoes. I moved reasonably well enough, but those extraneous steps will cannibalize transition time.

Eventually will go sockless in the sprint races this year, I hope. Get some bungee laces into the Hokas.
Run
  • 32m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't know how my run was going to go since I've been doing longer runs mixed with shorter runs, with an eye toward getting used to longer distances. Knew I could cover the distance easily enough but didn't know what kind of pace I could manage. This was a little better than expected, but not as good as I'd hoped for. Maybe now that I'm in the 60+ age group the days of eclipsing 10 minute miles are behind me. Covered the first in under 10 but obviously slowed down after that. Managed fairly well overall, though, and I was blown at the end.

No radical changes here. I'll eventually start doing some race pace intervals and such, but no guarantee that'll make much difference.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a water, wandered around with TSW, then went into transition to pack up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First tri of season, so no official training plan prior to. Cold weather made for slow transitions.

Event comments:

Well done race by Playtri crew. Swim leg handled pretty slowly; I didn't get in until over an hour after the start. The group at Dallas Athletes seems to handle this a little better. But organization was solid, plenty of volunteers and safety personnel out on the course, good management of transition area. Just a so-so course, though, and not quite long enough for a good test, even for hte first tri of the year. Still, overall well done.

Last updated: 2019-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:11 | 338 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/291
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Snaking pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:59 | 09 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two-loop course on main roads around neighborhoods in The Colony. All the turns were pretty tight. Course roads overall in decent shape.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:11 | 03.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: One loop course that mirrored the bike course for a while before diving into local neighborhoods out to the other side of the bike course and into the finish chute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes