General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear Junkies: new watch time? HR vs RPE training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-28 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Gear Junkies: new watch time? HR vs RPE training
Two big questions but related....

Getting back to triathlon after a long time away. I want to train with a better sense of Heart Rate zones to be more effective this time around. I have a garmin 310XT and a heart rate strap. Turns out the HR strap may have crapped the bed, though I do have another better upgraded one around here somewhere that also has bluetooth connection. I used to weigh a whole lot more and I swear the thing couldn't read my heart rate through my fat. No kidding. Now I'm smaller but still big (230ish) and the strap works for 10 minutes on a new battery then dies. Add to this that my 310xt seems to work but has a crack in the screen.

All this plus my gear acquisition syndrome, oh boy...

I also have one of those small fitbit style watches my family got me a couple years ago. I don't worry abotu step counts, but like the HR function. I understand that they may not be very accurate. Sometimes when I know I am working hard it will say I have a pulse of 75. No way. It just seems to miss readings. - Also I don't want to wear it 24/7. It does seem to have a decently accurate GPS, as I will do a run with both and compare. HR (when it appears to work) and GPS are close enough to each other.

So I am figuring maybe it's time to see the latest gear and upgrade it all. But then it also occurs to me that if I already can tell when my HR is up, is RPE a better way to train anyway? Back in the day, all of it was hard, so any exertion was felt as tough. But I'm becoming more aware of my body. I can accurately predict my blood glucose within 10 points usually, and feel like I may be getting close to that with HR.

Still, I know we all love data and I want to collect it if I will actually use it, and if it's reliable.

Any advice?

2019-03-29 8:50 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Gear Junkies: new watch time? HR vs RPE training
Personally, I like having one device that does it all, Fenix 5 plus.

Optical HR.
Tracks swim, bike, run and more.
Tracks all my bike sensors.
Lasts for days on battery power.

I consider myself a data geek, but I also take the data with a grain of salt. It's not medical grade accuracy and I'm ok with that. If my HR is off +/- 10 bpm or what not, I'm not going to stress about it. Too much other stuff in life. But it at least gives me a ballpark.

But, I also tune into my body to know if the data is accurate, if I am sandbagging and some days I;m just TIRED and the data may not reflect that.

Always use a good combination of both data and self awareness.
2019-03-29 2:57 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by TriJayhawkRyan

Always use a good combination of both data and self awareness.

Fantastic bit of wisdom there at the end.

I am actually moments away from pulling the trigger on a Fenix 5X plus. I just committed to a serious indoor training set up so I can finally do more than just spin out my low wattage "get the miles in" thing I used to do.
2019-04-07 9:41 PM

User image

Can't go wrong with the Fenix 5 proposed, if you want cheaper alternatives, the Forerunners - 935 and 735 will serve you well, and a 920 with HR strap should be a bargain now if you can find one.

Depending on situation, if you wanna go all out on shiny things, consider also a power meter for your bike. HR can be deceiving but power is power - there is no free wattage.
2019-04-09 11:37 AM
in reply to: 0

DC Rainmaker website has excellent reviews on all the different sport watches. I have based purchases on his reviews in the past.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

Edited by HaydenHunter 2019-04-09 11:40 AM
2019-04-09 2:15 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
What did you wind up going with? +1 for Fenix5 for me

2019-04-11 9:47 PM

FYI, Sounds like the Garmin 945 is going to be released very shortly. Even if that's too much watch, you might want to wait and see how that new watch effects all the prices of the other watches on the market.
2019-04-12 8:25 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Regular
Originally posted by HaydenHunter

DC Rainmaker website has excellent reviews on all the different sport watches. I have based purchases on his reviews in the past.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

+1

Wife got me a Fenix 5+ for Christmas 2017 to replace my Fenix 2. The Fenix is awesome, but read DC Rainmaker and make sure its the right gear for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear Junkies: new watch time? HR vs RPE training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bike Help - 2012 Cervelo P2 Ultegra vs 2016 Orbea Ordu m20

Started by ColeCity
Views: 1331 Posts: 6

2019-03-12 1:07 PM gary p

Training Peaks LTHR and 10K TT HR

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 364 Posts: 2

2019-02-11 9:52 AM TriJayhawkRyan

For New York Times subscribers: Q&A on Indoor Cycling

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 872 Posts: 1