General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New BT Idea: Plotting Users on Map to Find Training Buddies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-04-07 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: New BT Idea: Plotting Users on Map to Find Training Buddies
The discussion about the removal of the "state" forums a few years ago got me thinking. For another group (my daughter's rowing team) I plotted a database of contact information on a private map, so parents could see where other families lived.
That was it.
I did nothing else.
People took it from there and saw who lived nearby and contacted each other and did the rest. It was awesome!

I was thinking we could do that for BT and create a map of users with contact information so people can find each other to train and race together.

Would you consent to let other free users see your zip/postal code & email address?
Would you consent to let other PAID users see your zip code & email address?
Would you become a paid member to get access?
Would you use a map of your area showing other BT members nearby?
Would you prefer if they could only private message you on BT, but not see your info?

(Our create-a-poll feature has an error today, which is why I'm not posting this as a poll. Working on that one.)

2019-04-07 10:44 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: New BT Idea: Plotting Users on Map to Find Training Buddies

If people “opt in” it’s ok. 

I already have my location and email available to other members. 

Some of this can already be discerned from stored routes. By looking at the various bike and run routes I created, someone could narrow my home to 4 blocks in Peoria, Logan, or Fayetteville. Not quite as accurate at Strava, but very close. (This is something many BT’ers should pay attention to). 

2019-05-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I just noticed this thread and will chime in, hope it's not too late. 

I don't like this idea.  I would have to contact each person directly?  

With the forum it was SO easy.  Just create a thread, e.g. "Meet up for Open Water Swim this weekend?"  Everyone could see the thread and respond, or not, without being confronted directly.    Also if I was interested, but nervous to meet 1:1, I might change my mind if I saw that other people I knew were going.   If I met people l like in a group, then I could keep in contact with them directly.  I still have so many friends from the old BT State Forum, no new ones. 

Sorry to hold onto a grudge for this long, but this still confuses me.  

2019-06-14 4:48 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
A map would let people find other members more easily, instead of stumbling across something in a post or a race report. I have met other BT members that way in the past, though I haven't been as active for a few years. I'd prefer forum messaging over publicly available email addresses. I'm sure some marketer would jump on those.

I've seen, and participated in, membership mapping on another unrelated forum and never heard of anything negative. I did contact a couple people from that mapping but they weren't really close by and I never actually met up with any of them.
2019-06-20 6:42 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I would not be concerned (I'm and old fat guy) but I can see how it could be a possible safety risk.
2019-07-16 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I like it, on an "opt in" basis.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New BT Idea: Plotting Users on Map to Find Training Buddies Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me to find OW race in China!

Started by miklcct
Views: 609 Posts: 6

2019-01-26 8:09 PM Hot Runner

Working on Users who were accidentally stopped from posting by security update

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 397 Posts: 1

2018-09-24 2:16 PM alicefoeller

Cleaning up spam now - Spam user posted 300+ spam threads quickly

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 401 Posts: 1