General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to wear for first tri -pool swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-04-08 2:22 AM

User image

Subject: what to wear for first tri -pool swim
Hi. So silly question, but that's what this beginners triathlon forum is for right....I just hope this is not too silly....what do I wear??
Should I invest in a trisuit now or can I get away with togs (NZ speak for swimmers, bathers, swimming costume etc) and bike pants, then pop a top on to bike/run?
Then what do we girls do with the bra situation? I can't find any tri specific bras for sale in NZ, do we just find a quick dry sports one that we like???
Looking forward to hearing your ideas!
Thanks
Charlotte

2019-04-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: Kiwi Spud

User image

Subject: RE: what to wear for first tri -pool swim
Male version of the same problem:

I didn't want to spend a lot of money, just wanted to get my first tri in the books. I wore compression/dry fit running shorts under my swim trunks, my bike shorts and the gym shorts I ran in. It worked out great.

Whatever you want to do, just test it out once (or more) first to make sure it will all work out.
2019-04-08 9:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Kiwi Spud Hi. So silly question, but that's what this beginners triathlon forum is for right....I just hope this is not too silly....what do I wear?? Should I invest in a trisuit now or can I get away with togs (NZ speak for swimmers, bathers, swimming costume etc) and bike pants, then pop a top on to bike/run? Then what do we girls do with the bra situation? I can't find any tri specific bras for sale in NZ, do we just find a quick dry sports one that we like??? Looking forward to hearing your ideas! Thanks Charlotte

I had tons of the same types of questions before my first triathlon.  I was living in small town with the population of 5,000 people and there were no tri clubs, or other triathletes to train with, etc. so I had not idea how something worked.

Yes, you can get away with out a trisuit for your first triathlon.  I bought a pair of Jammer Swim Trunks the night before my first triathlon.  I used them on the swim, bike, and run and they were great.  I still have them 12-1/2 years later and still use them.  I did find a Tri suit with a small snag it in for 70% a few years ago.  There is a lot of gear and supplies you can get in triathlon, but you don't need it all at once and most of it is not necessary but rather a way to shave a little time in transition or reduce you resistance in the water on on the bike to help you get through a little faster.  If you race against yourself then those little gains don't matter.   If you are racing against others and they have all the equipment to give them and advantage and you don't then it can be frustrating.  In your first race you just are establishing a base that you will work on improving in future races.  Getting gear upgrades later is a good way to go about things.

I think a quick dry bra that you like would work but will defer that question to women to answer since there could be factors that I am not aware of that they can address.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-04-08 9:36 AM
2019-04-08 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Changing into dry clothes when your'e still wet can be kind of a drag so if you can, get a trisuit and just wear that as if you were doing a lake swim etc.
2019-04-09 7:58 AM

User image

Hello!

I actually just asked this same question in my introduction post, so not a silly question at all! I will be doing my first pool swim triathlon in June, but I am planning to wear a regular bathing suit for the pool swim, then throw on shorts/bike top over my bathing suit for the bike/run. When the weather gets a little warmer here, I will practice my bike while in the bathing suit I am planning to wear to see if I can make it through without any issues. If it was anything longer than a sprint tri, I would be investing in a new tri suit.

If you do decide to go the tri-suit route- when I did my first triathlon, I just wore my regular sports bra under my tri suit and then unzipped the front of my tri suit a little for the first few miles of the bike and it dried out very quickly. It was a really hot day, so the wet sports bra actually felt nice and cool on the bike.

2019-04-09 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
My first tri I wore my bathing suit and threw on run shorts after the swim. It wasn't awesome, but obviously it didn't turn me off the sport, as that was 2004 and I'm still tri-ing.

Depending on the style of bike you ride and the length of the bike leg, you may not need any kind of padding at all. That means you can go with compression shorts, bathing suit bottoms, etc. Whatever you're comfortable in that won't get ruined in water. For a bra, I recommend choosing the most wicking one you have in your drawer right now, then make sure you lube the band and strap areas really well just in case.

If you decide you want to stick with it, tri shorts are a great investment because you can train in them and race in them. The search for the best bra that will hold up to the water and still be supportive on the run....that's a lifelong search for some. Good luck!

2019-04-10 8:29 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Not a silly question at all. 

I just looked back at my log at my first try-a-tri pool swim and I wore tri shorts with a swim tankini top.  Then I dried off and put a zip on sport-fabric cardigan thing for the bike as it was cold (Canada in the fall).  The shorts dry quickly and have a bit of padding for the bike.  I remember having a toque the following year as my hair was wet in the cold air so...  GOOD LUCK!

2019-04-10 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
All indoor?

I would look at the two piece tri suit. Meant to do everything. Separate top and bottom.

Then you can also use it for training.
2019-04-18 5:25 PM

A bit of a hijack of the OP.

1st off, what I've read a quick drying bra is best.

For my part, I'm a cyclist first and foremost. My first tri is in a lake, in south Wales, my second in the sea in September. Brrrr.
I'm toying with getting a tri-suit but am thinking of stripping the wetsuit and have bib shorts underneath then throw on a cycle jersey. Has anyone gone down this route? Was the pad a pain for the swim and run?

Thanks.
2019-04-18 9:05 PM
in reply to: Mgalex

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The pad on normal cycling shorts is thicker and made of different materials than the pad on tri shorts or a tri suit. It would be like swimming and running in a diaper; don't advise it. I have never tried to swim in bike shorts but have run in them in a few cases (for a training run after biking) to save time or because I forgot my run or tri shorts--major chafing! I would spring for a trisuit; you can also keep a long-sleeved cycle jersey or light pullover top in transition if it is cold. I like tops with a 1/4 zip and sleeves that I can push up as I get warmed up.
2019-04-18 9:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For the OP, if the distances are not too long and you are comfortable with the degree of exposure, you would probably be fine for all three legs in a quick-dry sports bra and compression shorts. I don't think I've ever had a "tri-specific" bra unless maybe it came with a suit (and those usually don't fit anyway); just normal sports bras intended for high-impact activities like running. I get most of mine at Walmart, a big chain here in the US, for about $10-$12, sometimes less. If you wanted more coverage for sun protection or modesty, you could throw on a quick-dry T-shirt or singlet (vest in NZ-speak???) after the swim.

I did my first tri (similar to sprint distance) in that combo and was okay, though the bike (off-road at times, and roads were bumpy) was uncomfortable--I could have used a bit more padding. Might be okay though on smooth roads or for someone with more natural "padding", or a better bike saddle! Tri shorts are a great investment if you plan to stay in the sport; they can also be worn for runs or bike rides even if you don't do many triathlons.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-04-18 9:20 PM

2019-04-20 9:33 AM

User image

I do a pool swim tri every year (it's coming up next weekend!). It's a 400m swim, followed by an outdoor bike and run. I don't recall seeing too many people wearing trisuits there, and I am not one of them. I assume that the fabric a trisuit is made of is not designed to be chlorine friendly, so I wear a pair of tri shorts during the swim, and then put on a T-shirt at T1. I agree with not wearing bike shorts (I don't like bike shorts when I'm only biking. Maybe I am just used to my tri shorts)

An added advantage (here anyway; New Zealand maybe not so much) is that the T-shirt is dry and it may only be 10 degrees Celsius on race day and riding in a wet top may be uncomfortable for the first few minutes.

As for the bra, I am afraid I am in no position to advise on that...

J White
2019-04-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Most tri-suits, shorts, and tops aren't designed for extended use in chlorine, but the occasional test swim or pool tri (which usually have pretty short swims) shouldn't be a big deal if it gets rinsed off well with fresh water afterward.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to wear for first tri -pool swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Your open-water swim in your very first race

Started by triathlete_to_be
Views: 1589 Posts: 23

2019-04-07 7:42 PM fortissimo

First Tri, bouyancy shorts?

Started by JS226
Views: 811 Posts: 5

2018-12-26 3:48 PM TriJayhawkRyan

Pool membership or swim instructor?

Started by riles32807
Views: 590 Posts: 4