Dallas Athletes Racing
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 27s
Overall Rank = 285/473
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Got up later than usual, had a bagel with butter, then waited for TSW to get ready and took off. Had company, so waited for them to leave, which delayed us 10 minutes or so. Resulted in late arrival to transition, cutting the prep time down, but got it all done with only minimal stress.
Event warmup:

Relaxed until they called my group to the pool to start. Minimal stretching. Couple of bathroom visits. Race started about 7, our group went off at 7:49. The joys of pool swim tris.
Swim
  • 06m 51s
  • 275 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

For the first time I outclassed most of the people around me. Meaning there were a lot of sandbaggers in my group with regards to their estimated swim time. I was catching up to a lot of swimmers, even passed several. The walls were crazy, with bodies stacking up to rest and duck under the lane dividers, then to rest some more. I actually felt pretty strong and solid; having the wall to push off made a nice difference. Tried to focus on form and staying long, at least until I got stacked up with the rest of the swimmers. Even with all of that my time was better than expected.
What would you do differently?:

Starting to think I might need to sandbag a little bit myself, mark down a swim estimate of 6:15 or 6:30.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Reasonable transition. Went sockless so just had to stick my feet in the shoes. Most of this was the run from the pool to my spot near the back.

Nothing. Good transition.
Bike
  • 32m 56s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 17.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike ride, except for not being able to see very well due to misty conditions. Both inner and outer lenses stayed foggy/misty the whole ride and my reaching up to wipe them off made for vision that was akin to looking through a rain-streaked window. Because of that I didn't get too crazy at turns or on downhills. Kept the pace comfortable throughout, save for a little bit on the uphills. Lost probably 30-45 seconds when I misunderstood one of the course marshals telling me to stay left...I went way left, into the oncoming lane. And this on the second loop, so what the heck was I thinking??!! Had to stop, even unclip, practically dismount, to move back into position to get going again. Dumb-assed mistake, but it didn't make any difference in age group placing.

Nothing; pleased overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Fairly quick transition here too. Ran sockless, so was an easy pull of the running shoes onto my feet then grabbing hat and belt and taking off. Majority of time here is likely the run into transition and racking bike.

Probably nothing...hard to see much more improvement here.
Run
  • 32m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good throughout the run, didn't play any mind games, just tried to maintain a reasonable pace, slowing a bit to maintain effort when going uphill and increasing pace on downhills. Kicked it up last .15 or so. So was surprised to see a slightly slower run than Luck of the Irish a couple weeks ago, where I felt a lot worse during the run.

I felt like this was a good run, solid effort, so...not sure what to do differently. Very easy to say more training, or more intervals, but will that make a difference? Dont' know, but I'll probably try it, and try not to overdo it.
Post race
Warm down:

Very blown at the end, so a good effort. Recovered by walking around with a bottle of water until normalcy returned.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Starting to believe my run is becoming the problem, at least on these shorter races where the swim doens't play as large a role. My percentile was slightly worse on the run that it was on the swim, which is highly unusual for me. Speaks to trying to improve the run leg, but I'm not sure how much improvement a soon-to-be 60 year old can expect to realize.

Event comments:

I'd give this race a 5 were it not for the weirdness in my split times. Overall time agrees with Garmin, but official race times are way off on the swim and the bike. Shows 9:33 on the swim, which is absolutely impossible (Garmin shows 6:51, no way I missed my button pushes by that much). Originally assumed my swim included T1, as I had no T1 time when I first reviewed results. Now, a T1 time has been inserted, swim time remains unchanged, and my bike results have improved by over two minutes (which - as much as I fervently wish otherwise - is also absolutely impossible). All that said, DAR puts on awesome races that are just a ton of fun, with an overall atmosphere that is hard to beat. Looking forward to Texasman in a month.

Last updated: 2019-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:51 | 275 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 316/473
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snaking pool swim, 25 yard pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:56 | 9.5 miles | 17.31 mile/hr
Overall: 241/473
Wind:
Course: Two loop out and back through a light industrial area. Due to previous rain, misty atmosphere during the race, and construction near one part of the course, the directors cut the length by two miles.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:48 | 03.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 322/473
Course: Paved path throughout the surrounding park area and on the bike course sidewalks, with some slight uphills and downhills throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2019-04-09 3:43 PM

Subject: Caveman Triathlon

2019-04-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5257558

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: RE: Caveman Triathlon
I did this race too and also noticed a lot of athletes did not do a good job of judging their swim time.
I've noticed that is always the case and so I typically deduct a good 20 seconds from what I'm capable of so that I'm not swimming over people. In doing so, I'm normally seeded very well. Not this race... And the cluster at each end of the very short pool. 50m pool is much better IMO.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caveman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Caveman Triathlon

Started by kentwest
Views: 613 Posts: 1

2018-04-22 12:18 PM kentwest

Reston Triathlon

Started by Atlantia
Views: 600 Posts: 1

2018-04-20 11:10 AM Atlantia