Dallas Athletes Racing
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 01m 17s
Overall Rank = 79/478
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up an hour early because alarm clock is set on old daylight savings time schedule. Went back to sleep for about 45 minutes. Filling this out a week later, I can't remember what exactly I ate at home. Had to use the bathroom a lot before the race, but at least I got it all out!
Event warmup:

We weren't able to swim in the pool to warm up. We instead had to stage inside of the gym portion of the building until our group was called out. Had to use the water fountain that was close to the pool entrance to wet my ear plugs and goggles. Not a good way to start the race. I hope they can figure out a better way to do that in the future.
Swim
  • 04m 56s
  • 275 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

25m pool. Extremely cluster fucked because there were so many people swimming on top of each other. I got kicked more and ran into more people than I think I ever have in a mass start on the beach. 50m pool is a much better venue.
What would you do differently?:

I feel like I seeded myself appropriately, and I usually find that others around my ability do the same. I got swam over a lot, so maybe I didn't do a good job of estimating my abilities or the other people didn't. Because it was only a 25m pool, there was a lot of congestion at the ends of the lanes.
Silver lining - this gave me ample time to catch my breath on almost every lane, so going into T1 and the bike I was not out of breath at all!
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was on the rack closest to entering transition, so that was nice. Felt a little embarrassed that my bike was one of the last left on the rack. But, my bib was 111, so a lot of people had already started before me.
Bike
  • 29m 14s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 23.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Roads were wet, so I took it nice & easy around all of the corners. I'm sure I lost some time, but there was no reason for me to push the envelope for this race.
I tried to just have a nice cadence and not go too hard because I wanted to have a good run. That ended up paying off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Brought band-aids to wear on the backs of my heels since wearing my tri shoes in a race a few weeks ago gave me really bad blisters. Decided not to do it, and that ended up being a good decision. Maybe my skin was already kind of used the assault, and I didn't have any pain throughout the run.
What would you do differently?:

I do want to learn to jump off bike with no shoes. I've done it a little bit on my mountain bike just messing around.
Run
  • 24m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

It was kind of difficult to pass people, because we all wanted to stay on the sidewalk and not in the squishy grass because it had rained a lot.
I felt terrific on the run. I started out not pushing myself and that lent itself to me just going faster and faster. I passed a ton of people and I think I only got passed by 1 person.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and drank some water. Hung out near the finish line to watch some finishers.
Ate 2 pancakes (they were delicious).
Figured I wasn't making the podium and I needed to get home because the boys were there alone, so I only stuck around for maybe 20 minutes after I finished. Luckily, transition was already open to take bikes out.

Event comments:

This was a good race to train through right now because of the time of year. It was also good practice to race when it was raining outside.

Last updated: 2019-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:56 | 275 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/41
Overall: 113/478
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 25m pool. Swam up 1 lane and down another for a total of 11 lanes
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:29:14 | 11.5 miles | 23.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/41
Overall: 111/478
Wind:
Course: 2 loop out & back
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:10 | 03.1 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/41
Overall: 74/478
Course: Out & back through some wooded trails. Every surface was wet and it was hilly, so had to be careful with slick spots that were under trees where leaves, etc had dropped onto the trail/sidewalk.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?