General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The 5gallon bucket!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-04-15 7:10 AM

Subject: The 5gallon bucket!!!
New to site so if someone would first let me know how I know if someone answers this question and if so where I look to see the answer I'd appreciate it. Question I see some athletes with a 5 gallon bucket in transition to keep gear in and to make it easier to put on running/bike shoes. At what level of competition is the 5 gallon bucket no longer allowed? I race in the USA Sprint/Olympic distance with the goal of moving up to full Iron Man one day. Thanks Jeff

2019-04-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: Jeff Maule

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: The 5gallon bucket!!!

don't bring a bucket into transition.  you literally just need shoes, a helmet, sunglasses, and maybe some food.  the simpler your transition area the faster you will get out.

2019-04-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

The bucket basically just serve as a seat in transition for you to sit on white you wipe sand off your feet.  There isn't much room in transition at some races and you will not be allotted enough space to have a bucket. At some of the smaller races, with less than 300 participants, you can lay out a beach towel and line up all your gear on it in the order that you will use it.  In larger races, with over 2,000 participants. you only have the width of your bike and, to keep your gear from going into the running lanes or into the area of the bike across or adjacent to you, all you have is about the area of a hand towel.  I am not familiar with any 5 gallon buckets rules and the transition area rules are pretty much the same for any distance race.  The exception to that being that the full iron distance usually has changing areas in transitions and allow a special needs bag at designation aid station on the bike course. 

I think the HITS series have square crates for every athlete that are shorter than a 5 gallon bucket so you can lift bike tires over them easier to get bikes in and out but still have something to place gear on, or to sit on, or to put you feet on to wipe them off in transition.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-04-15 10:06 AM
2019-04-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Agree with others, no need for a bucket. Put your bottles, helmet and sunglasses on your bike. Shoes and socks on the ground, a hat or visor if you need it for the run, your race belt with your bib on it. A gel to throw in your pocket. All of those things take up maybe the size of a small hand towel. Already be lubed and sunscreened up beforehand. You really don't need anything else.

In IM-branded 70.3s and 140.6s, you'll often be given bags that everything must be contained in - they call it a "clean transition." So when you get to T1 and T2, you open your bag to get your contents for the next segment, then close it up with your used gear before you leave transition. Just something to keep in mind as you move to longer distances. 

2019-04-15 12:34 PM

User image

Pro

I always used a bucket and when I get back to triathlon again for my 60's, next year, I'll use one again.  It takes up less room than a hand towel and is more comfortable to sit on.

Now, the triathlon snobs will give you the stink eye....which just makes it that much more joyous to use. 

Edited by Left Brain 2019-04-15 12:36 PM
2019-04-17 3:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
I bet having a bucket is way more comfortable to sit on than the ground. Also easier to get up from once your socks/shoes are on.
Depending on distance, I can see a benefit to using a bucket for longer stuff.

I love having my old road bike racked with all the super expensive looking tri bikes because of the way some of the snobs look at me. haha

2019-04-19 12:47 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I'm almost 60...been doing this for about 7 years.  I don't need to sit down to put on my shoes so I have no need for a bucket...to me, that's just wasting time.  I use a small gym bag for all the essentials (swim cap, goggles, race belt, running & cycling shoes, small towel, helmet and any nutrition I'm going to use).  I lay all of those out on the small towel in the order I'm going to use them then fold up the gym bag and stuff it under the bike so it doesn't interfere with my or others transition areas.

2019-04-19 1:59 PM

User image

Pro

I'll be 60 next year.  I did my first triathlon when I was 27....or 26.  I have never NOT used a bucket to sit down....in fact, back then, in the 80's, there were LOTS of buckets....I don't think small towels were invented yet.

I'm still gonna be sitting on a bucket in transition next year.....stay off my lawn!!

Edited by Left Brain 2019-04-19 2:00 PM
2019-04-21 6:11 PM
in reply to: #5257709

I could care less what anyone uses, but I’m trying to figure out (bucket or otherwise) why folks need to sit down in transition. I’ve done a few dozen Olys and a couple 140.6’s and the only sitting I’ve ever done was in my bike.
2019-04-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5257930

.... on my bike, not in it!
2019-04-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Pro

Originally posted by danimal123 I could care less what anyone uses, but I’m trying to figure out (bucket or otherwise) why folks need to sit down in transition. I’ve done a few dozen Olys and a couple 140.6’s and the only sitting I’ve ever done was in my bike.

These days, after 3 knee surgeries, 2 back surgeries, and surgical repair of two broken vertebrae in my neck, I'm happy to sit for a bit and enjoy the day.   I draw the line at a lawn chair......but if there's ever room, that's what I'll have. 

2019-04-21 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5257931

Wow guys, this is an awesome site a lot of good response. So I should say that I'm pretty competitive like I'm sure you all are. My real reason for thinking about going to the bucket is coming off the bike as I get in to my shoes I always cramp up really bad and I'm always hoping and skipping for the first several hundred yards of the run. Any ideas other then more electrolytes and bricks? Sometimes I think its going to seize up so bad I'll be unable to continue. And I don't want that to happen!
2019-04-21 8:13 PM
in reply to: #5257931

Fair enough! If there’s room, bring a La Z Boy!
2019-04-22 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by Jeff Maule

Wow guys, this is an awesome site a lot of good response. So I should say that I'm pretty competitive like I'm sure you all are. My real reason for thinking about going to the bucket is coming off the bike as I get in to my shoes I always cramp up really bad and I'm always hoping and skipping for the first several hundred yards of the run. Any ideas other then more electrolytes and bricks? Sometimes I think its going to seize up so bad I'll be unable to continue. And I don't want that to happen!

One idea would be shoes that pull on quickly, like running shoes designed for triathlon, or running shoes with elastic laces. If you already have your bike shoes off (because you removed them coming into transition and left them attached to the pedals) you only have to shove your feet into the shoes. With the right shoes or laces, you aren't going to be bent over them tying them, or squatting down for any length of time. If you can't get them on from bending at the waist, add some yoga or stretching into your routine.
2019-04-23 12:36 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Originally posted by Jeff Maule

If you're really having a lot of trouble with cramping off the bike, you might want to loosen up by spinning an easier gear for the last few minutes of biking. If it saves cramping, you'll make up any lost time during the start of your run. You've already mentioned electrolytes and bricks in training. I also like Alice's suggestion of yoga. Regular stretching may help those muscles stay looser.

edit: I've never used a bucket but as long as it's not in my way I don't care if others do.

Edited by Micawber 2019-04-23 12:38 PM
2019-04-23 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Echo the sentiment... don't bring a bucket unless you have issues where you need to sit down to manage T1 and T2.

Nice transition bag to carry stuff in.

Lay it out.

T1 and T2 standing up.

2019-04-28 7:39 PM
in reply to: #5257709

Well no bucket today. I cramped up so bad on the I couldn't I almost couldn't get unclipped and get off. Was unable after three tries to get my running shoes on, so I just ran the last three miles barefoot. It was painful to day the least but i finished. Goya get this cramping thing figured out. Maybe i m just pushing too hard above my body's ability. Maybe just need more conditioning.
2019-04-28 8:01 PM

User image

Pro

The bucket argument is awesome.......in the 80's literally everybody had a bucket.  Transition bags were not invented.  I don't know how we managed.   

Most of us raced in speedos too.......oh, the horror.  LMAO

2019-04-28 8:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure it's relevant, but there were actually lawn chairs in T2 at the 70.3 World Championships in 2017. (There were bike catchers; you just picked up your run bag and went to the chair area to put on run shoes and other run do-dads.) So you can aim for the big time now. I was pretty weak from food poisoning at the time--amazed I ever made it up out of the chair and onto the run course!
2019-04-29 10:07 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

If that bucket is filled with kosher dills then I am all for it, if you are sharing! Otherwise, as my dad always said - keep it a KISS operation   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The 5gallon bucket!!! Rss Feed