westchester triathlon club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 24s
Overall Rank = 262/692
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 53/95
Pre-race routine:

Wake up eat banna and PB. Drink water. Drive up to Westchester County with Wife, and kids. Got to transition area and had about 4min to set things up. Rode bike and stuff to set up area.
Event warmup:

None, walk down to beach.
Swim
  • 31m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Equipment malfunction. The zipper on my wetsuit broke! I was terrified. How was I going to swim a mile without a wetsuit. Had my friend Peter there and Jose a fellow BTer trying to help me get the zipper back on track to no avail. I ended up handing my wetsuit to a crew member (was able to pick it up later in one of the tents, that was great) and waded into the water with much trepidation. I was horrified, should I or shouldn't I go...just kept walking in..thinking can I do this...I waited and let everyone go ahead of me thinking that I could draft off the whole pack and just started swimming. Before I knew it I was back in the pack swimming along guys in wetsuits and thinking to myself, just take it easy, and I did. I had people hitting my feet, my head, I just kept swimming. Before I knew it I was finished with the first 750m and I was pumped. Felt fine, this is cool, I thought to myslef, I am going to do this. Started heading back and kept drifting out to the right of the pack, was thinking that there must have been some current, but I was the only one floating away, I kept swimming back toward the pack, all the time making progress toward the end. I merged into the pack just before we emerged from the water, I had no desire to stop swimming early, I wasn't fatugued, I could have kept swimming. And all without a wetsut. I was totally PSYCED!!!! That had to be the funnest swim I've ever done, slow, but fun. To boot I think it was as fast, if not faster, than the swims I've done in my sprints. I was pumped.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, the swim was a blast.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Took my time here, not quite sure why it took so long. I had all my gear on and kinda just stood there thinking that I had forgot something.

Learn how to run with shoes on bike and jump on bike.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I love to ride my bicycle. First 10mi felt like forever because it was a combination of uphills and small uphill flats. 2nd part was right up my alley, going fast and hard.

Eat on bike (see run for explanation)
Transition 2
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

This was slow, my transitions need alot of work. I also took a bathroom break. I am thinking to myself, that I'm having fun here, needed to go to the bathroom, and wanted to be comfortable for the last leg of the race.

Learn to get off my bike with shoes still on pedals. Run to rack.
Run
  • 51m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 3.5miles were good. Felt OK. At the 3.5 mi mark I thought to myself, oh, I'd be done now if this was a sprint. about 2min later, my body agreed. I ran out of fuel. Spent the last 2.5 with a combination of walking and running. Jose caught up to me and offered words of encouragement, I that took me for about 1/2 mile (THANKS JOSE!!!) but I just couldn't keep it going. I finished. I think that I was so worried about the swim that I neglected the run and it got me. Live and learn. I heard some guys talking about feuling on the bike and this was another thing I made a mental note of for next time.

Fuel on bike, run more when training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around eat fruit and drink. Talk to Peter, my friend, and Jose. It is so great to have support at these races. I really appreciate my wife, kids and all the support from my friends and fellow BTers. I am chompin at the bit for my next race. Good time too because my next tri is not until the Spring of 2007. Now it is time to tran for NYC Marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run

Event comments:

One of the best races I've done. Will come back next year and this time complete the run. Any maybe even swim with a wetsuit (although I found out that I don't really need one.)

Last updated: 2006-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:56 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/95
Overall: 417/692
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Out and around and back. Well marked with orange sight bouys and yellow turn bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:08:10 | 24.85 miles | 21.87 mile/hr
Overall: 110/692
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back, hilly in the first part, downhill 2nd part.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:51:28 | 06.21 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 331/692
Performance: Below average
Course: Weavy, windy. Whomever designed this course musta been drinking. It meanandered throughout Rye, drove me nuts!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-19 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
New York City
Subject: Westchester Triathlon

2006-09-19 3:41 PM
in reply to: #545928

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon
Nice job for your first OLY BEN. Interesting swim! I knew you'd hammer the bike - You're an animal! I know I told you about Perpetuem. You're right when I'm healthy we'll ride again and I'll make you a bottle before I suck your wheel again! Now go order an new Wetsuit and a big bottle of Perp!
2006-09-20 7:21 AM
in reply to: #545928

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon
Awesome job Ben! Getting the first one done just sets you up for a great season in 07'.  Good Luck at the Marathon, it was great seeing you at the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westchester Triathlon Rss Feed