General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to find hill grades on cycling routes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-04-17 3:47 PM

Subject: How to find hill grades on cycling routes
I'm looking for resources on finding cycling hills on a map and being able to identify what the grade is.

I know what it *feels* like to ride the hills on the usual cycling routes in my area. I want to know what % grade they are so I can then look at maps of an unfamiliar area (e.g. a race route), check the grades on that route, and have a sense of how some of those hills may feel based on grades and distances I'm already familiar with.

I've tried looking at Strava segments, and frankly it's wildly inaccurate. Google Maps shows a route profile, but not % grades.

I'm in BC, Canada, if that makes any difference. Suggestions?

2019-04-17 6:57 PM
in reply to: sanspm

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: How to find hill grades on cycling routes

You can set-up a free account on MayMyRide.com.  On MayMyRide you can create courses and those courses include the elevation of the entire course.  It will also calculate longer climbs, rate the climb and give the grade.  If the site doesn't calculate the grade for a segment you are interested in you can easily pull the elevation and distance to calculate the % grade yourself.

There are lots of other cool things MayMyRide does in addition to giving you grade information.

2019-04-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: How to find hill grades on cycling routes

Mapometer.com is another one that you can use to create routes that will give you elevation and grade information.  No account required for that one.

You also could do it the old fashion way and get a topographic map.  Unless you are just into maps, some people think topo maps are more interesting than aero helmets, deep dish carbon wheel sets, or power meters, then letting a program that calculates everything based on the route you enter is the way to go.   

Note: On the topo map the lines that are close together are your steep grades and the ones that are far apart are you gentile grades.  :-

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to find hill grades on cycling routes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New BT Idea: Plotting Users on Map to Find Training Buddies

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1400 Posts: 6

2019-07-16 7:50 AM briderdt

Help me to find OW race in China!

Started by miklcct
Views: 612 Posts: 6

2019-01-26 8:09 PM Hot Runner

For New York Times subscribers: Q&A on Indoor Cycling

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 872 Posts: 1