General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Wisconsin Finishing Shirt - For Real? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-09-20 1:36 PM
in reply to: #545960

Master
Subject: RE: IM Wisconsin Finishing Shirt - For Real?
My watch has the ironman logo on it. Is that alright?

2006-09-20 1:38 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

well, my watch from WalMart has the m-dot logo on it.  Why do I have it? Because it was cheap and serves its purpose.  IT's got splits and tells time.  It's waterproof.  It's GREEN.  

IM "Finisher" shirts should be worn by the finishers only, IMO.  The other IM shirts could of  been seen by others as more of a souvenir- sort of like me going to Colorado and buying a Colorado TShirt.  Maybe that's how some families/friends saw the IM shirts/hats/whatever at the expo.   A momento of a great time they had watching a loved one reach their goal.

2006-09-20 1:55 PM

Expert
-- I'm not sure what it is about wearing a shirt that they purchased makes them unscrupulous. Lots of people wear "official" team jerseys. Are they unscrupulous because they're not really a member of the team? --

There is a big difference in the message sent, IMO.

Wearing a "USPS Cycling Team" jersey sends a message that you support the team, or merely like the shirt. Not that you are on the team or even work for the USPS.

Wearing a Kona hat sends a message that you are a fan of Kona, were there once, or maybe just want to go there. Not that you did the race.

Wearing a "Wisconsin Ironman" shirt alone would just say that you have some connection to that race, either as a fan, spectator, or maybe even a participant.

But wearing a "Wisconsin Ironman Finisher" sends a message that you finished. Not something I am going to waste my time enforcing, but definately something I wouldn't do unless, in fact, I did the race.

To me, it is a little like wearing one of those "I voted" stickers on election day when you didn't vote. Pretty pathetic analogy, but the best I can do without more coffee.

Edited by Hazelmn 2006-09-20 1:56 PM
2006-09-20 2:06 PM
in reply to: #547017

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Hazelmn - 2006-09-20 1:55 PM -- But wearing a "Wisconsin Ironman Finisher" sends a message that you finished. Not something I am going to waste my time enforcing, but definately something I wouldn't do unless, in fact, I did the race.

Or perhaps that you are proud of someone you know who did finish (like the family membrs madcow noted) and want an excuse to brag on them. 

I wouldn't do it either, FWIW.  But someone else wearing it doesn't make them "unscrupulous".  If there's no trademark infringement, the only problem they have is what someone's opinion of them might be when they find out they really didn't finish.  And that's their problem.  Not a problem for the people who have finished.

2006-09-20 2:25 PM
in reply to: #546631

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
I can see buying a few of these, if and ONLY IF, I finished the race. I would like to get my hands on as much merchandise as possible that has my accomplishment written all over it.

I have purchased concert shirts of concerts that I attended years ago, but it had worn out so bad that I needed a new one.

2006-09-20 2:28 PM
in reply to: #547065

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

nuorder - 2006-09-20 2:25 PM

I have purchased concert shirts of concerts that I attended years ago, but it had worn out so bad that I needed a new one.

I've worn shirts from concerts that I didn't attend.  Horrors!!!

2006-09-20 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Most of the public won't have a clue what the shirt means anyway. If I showed it to my mother she'd say it has something to do with beer. She thinks all t-shirt graphics are about beer.
2006-09-20 3:08 PM

Chesapeake, VA
I think y'all are looking at this the wrong way. I don't think a lot of non-finishers are going to buy the shirt, although there's nothing to stop them. I think the company is marketing to finishers who want another shirt in addition to to official one they already got.
2006-09-20 4:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-20 4:45 PM

Master
Northern California
I wouldn't wear the shirt that said I was an IM finisher if I was indeed NOT.

I don't care what others wear.

However, I am not an IM finisher and perhaps this conversation contains more relevance (if any) to those that are?

2006-09-20 5:08 PM

Expert
Manchester, NH
Last year around this time, as it was getting cooler, I went into my local running shop to look for a light jacket. They were selling a (used, I think) Boston Marathon jacket size large that was just perfect for what I needed - and cheap. I bought it, but with some hesitation. (I have never run Boston - or a marathon - yet) I wear it with even more hesitation. I don't wear it to races, or around other runners. I would feel like a fraud if anyone recognized the significance of the jacket, and asked me about my race. As I understand, it's the same jacket a lot of the volunteers got, but still, I feel funny about it. However, I'm definitely not wearing it to impresss anyone - in fact - will hide it to a degree. The Ironman finisher clothing is very specific, and despite my above "transgression" would openly laugh at, and spit upon anyone who wore it with the intent of impressing others. Well... I probably wouldn't actually spit - but ya' know what I mean... :-)

2006-09-21 12:51 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
well first I think selling them online is great. Lets face it an IM maybe for most people would be just a walk in the park, well before that a bike in the park, and well before that a swim in the park. Man I am tired and I am only talking a small park here. When you are done with the race do you want to ahve to think about pulling out your wallet and buying it? I think that would be the last thing on your mind. Heck I can not do basic math at 18 miles of a marathon I am sure people are less rational at the end of an IM.

Maybe its Monday morning your feeling good taking the day off with the medal around you going I am so the man. I need to have a T shirt that says so. Now you can go online and buy one. Frankly you can buy marathon medals all the time on ebay. right after chicago there will probably be about 10 - 15 for sale. Now people who buy them may want an extra one for work. I wish I did that for my first one. Maybe they are doing what there ad says and go to impress there friends. Honestly I do not care. You done it and you know. either people can lie about it or pay someone to run the race for them using there name. So you can even look it up. Honestly I would not buy a finisher shirt until I knew I finished and not before.

My rules are simple. You start the race you get to wear the t shirt. you finish you get to wear the medal and any finisher shirts you have. Now you may feel bad where the shirt for a race you DNF so if you do then do not wear it. Atleast not until you finally finish the course . I know people who wear chicago marathon jackets all the time who did not run that year but are involved in running and even are water stop captains. They are just as much apart of the race as any of runners but I would be upset if they wear something that indicated they finished. I am signed up for Chicago and I may buy the jacket ahead of time and jsut pray a finish. I did it last 2 years but honesltly if I do not finish the race I will wear the jacket but it will be a constant reminder of my failure.
2006-09-21 1:37 PM

Expert
Dallas, TX
These shirts really aren't being marketed to the general public. It's not like Walmart or Target is carrying these "finisher" shirts. These are being marketed to the athletes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Wisconsin Finishing Shirt - For Real? Rss Feed  

of 2