General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach or no coach? 1/2 and full IM distances Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

Coach or no coach? 1/2 and full IM distances
OptionResults
Hire a coach19 Votes - [59.38%]
Don't hire a coach6 Votes - [18.75%]
Do what you feel is the best and most economical choice for your goals.1 Votes - [3.12%]
Join a tri club that trains for Iron distance events4 Votes - [12.5%]

2006-09-19 3:58 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Coach or no coach? 1/2 and full IM distances
For those that have or are using a coach to train for your 1/2 or full distance, who uses/will/has used one?

Someone once told me that the reason a lot of people that seemingly don't have time to train properly but make the distances in respectable times (aka MOP and higher), and are in great shape is cause they hire coaches. It gives them QUALITY training as opposed to QUANTITY (grinding away using bad form, nutrition, etc. to get minimal results).

Granted, not everyone can afford one but if you have the option (luxury). What's your take on it? Why? and my favorite question........Would you do it again?

My 07 season will be a platform to launch off of for a possible 2008 IM for me so I'm wondering if I should go for one. At this point I've been self coached and have picked up a ton of info on this site and others, including books, DVD's and an occassional clinic. I get the feeling 1/2 and full IM distances are different animals completely.

2006-09-19 4:07 PM
in reply to: #546069

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Coach or no coach? 1/2 and full IM distances
For the majority of athletes, if you have the resources, a good coach is probably the best money you can spend for the performance improvement.
2006-09-19 6:13 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
i never had a coach but if you have the money then i'd highly recommend getting one.

you can learn everything by experience, but it's a time/money trade off. i had the time, not the money.
2006-09-19 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado

I didn't have a coach and I achieved everthing I set out to do so far this year.  If I had a coach I know I would have done better and set higher goals for myself.  If money was not an issue I would hire best coach or coaches I could find without even thinking twice about it.

2006-09-19 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Bay Area, Cali
I think there is definately value in coaching, but why not go the middle way and join a tri club? You can benefit from group coaching with a general program to follow, and its more fun to train long events with other people.
2006-09-19 10:45 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Coach, definitely is $$ well spent.

2006-09-20 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm going to go against the grain and say "no coach". If you need to develop a training plan, use some of the many resources out there such at TTB or Going Long. Training to finish a HIM isn't really all that complicated: work on you base fitness, do some speed/form drills early in the season, and as the race approaches add in some race pace workouts.

Now for swimming, I say yes, definitely get a coach/masters/etc.

If you're training to win a HIM (outright or AG) then I think hiring a coach is a good idea.
2006-09-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: #546757

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
doublej - 2006-09-20 11:25 AM I'm going to go against the grain and say "no coach". If you need to develop a training plan, use some of the many resources out there such at TTB or Going Long. Training to finish a HIM isn't really all that complicated: work on you base fitness, do some speed/form drills early in the season, and as the race approaches add in some race pace workouts. Now for swimming, I say yes, definitely get a coach/masters/etc. If you're training to win a HIM (outright or AG) then I think hiring a coach is a good idea.
Sorry but you can present MANY reasons as to why a coach might not be an option for some athletes but to say that a coach is ONLY a good option if your plan is to win/place top of your AG is plain silly!
2006-09-20 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I'll say no coach as well.  I prefer to be my own coach, set my own rules/plans, and do my own research.  I've raced enough to see my most likely mistakes and greatest areas for improvement. 

For me, spending the money wouldn't add anything but a sense of obligation to do it his/her way when my own skills/training would get me to virtually the same place.  I did my first HIM this year entirely on my own with stats that made me happy. My teammate paid $$ to get coached and gained only a few minutes on me, and I can't say that it's because she was coached -- I suspect she may have just worked harder for it because she paid someone to coach her as an 'insurance' that she'd have 'done her all'.

If I were quibbling over minutes needed to qualify for Kona...or lacking confidence that I could do my goal distance, then I'd get a coach. 

2006-09-20 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I got a coach based, initially, on not wanting to put together my training plan. 

I ended up relying on my coach to tell me what workouts I was getting in and it relieved TONS of pressure off of me during my training.  I, personally, think that training for an IM is hard enough, and if you can do it, hire a coach to take some of the basic thinking out of it for you.

I was also introduced to MANY workouts that I would not have thought about on my own.  But most of all, a coach provided me with a bigger picture and didn't let me lose focus of my later season 'A' races.  If I had done my own plan, I would not have the overall gains that I have now.  I've PR'd in just about every race this year, and I'd say I can attribute 85% of that to my coach.  I'll take 10% and my IronSherpa can take the other 5%.

If you go without a coach for a HIM or IM, I would suggest planning out ALL your workouts for the season ahead of time.  Much less stress and you can still adjust them as life comes at you.

2006-09-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #546794

User image

Veteran
amiine - 2006-09-20 12:43 PM

doublej - 2006-09-20 11:25 AM I'm going to go against the grain and say "no coach". If you need to develop a training plan, use some of the many resources out there such at TTB or Going Long. Training to finish a HIM isn't really all that complicated: work on you base fitness, do some speed/form drills early in the season, and as the race approaches add in some race pace workouts. Now for swimming, I say yes, definitely get a coach/masters/etc. If you're training to win a HIM (outright or AG) then I think hiring a coach is a good idea.
Sorry but you can present MANY reasons as to why a coach might not be an option for some athletes but to say that a coach is ONLY a good option if your plan is to win/place top of your AG is plain silly!

I don't think I ever used the word "ONLY" in my response.

2006-09-20 3:12 PM
in reply to: #546957

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
SunnyS - 2006-09-20 1:19 PM

My teammate paid $$ to get coached and gained only a few minutes on me, and I can't say that it's because she was coached -- I suspect she may have just worked harder for it because she paid someone to coach her as an 'insurance' that she'd have 'done her all'.

Actually, that sounds exactly like one of the benefits you'd expect to get from coaching.

2006-09-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #547133

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
If you feel that you need a coach and/or that you could benefit from having one than by all means go for it. Do your research and find the best value for your money. And don't forget BT has some great resources for coaching as well as active members who also coach.

I personally can't afford one on my shoestring training/racing budget (now that the house is almost done and I'm the sole supporter of the household), so I use online resources, books, and forums to glean what I can. And I've never lacked the motivation to train once I set my mind to it (see my April cycling challenge and my recent marathon training as an example).

In many ways, using Pfitzinger-Douglas' Advanced Marathoning for this year's training plan for my goal marathon is like having a coach. Their book has almost become like a bible for me this Summer/Fall. But I don't have the actual coach to have to account to if I miss a workout or have to restructure things.
2006-09-21 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
I recently signed up with a local coach to get me through my first IM. She has me doing stuff (drillls) and things that I would never have thought of or incorporated by myself and so far the workouts are a lot less in time than I expected. Working on form and not just distance/ endurance.
Left to myself I would probably have just worked on endurance for an IM. I have also been told that part of an IM is mental so it is nice to have an expert on hand to tell me what to expect rather than have to ask it / think of it myself.

Having said that, a guy at my local masters club completed his first IM this year on self coaching and did an amazing job. Think it maybe partly personal preference.

Good luck whatever you decide
Jackie
2006-09-21 10:48 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
There are a lot of reaons to hire a coach and also a lot of reasons why some people just can't.  Dan mentioned a mojor point.  It takes enough time to actually do the training, along with rest, eating, family, and working a full time job.  There are plenty of reasources available for anyne to develop their own plan and "self-coach" but you have to be willing to take the extra time to research, educate, plan, and analyze...that can take another 5-10 hours per week on average on top of training 10-20 hours.  A coach will also help give perspective and keep you looking at the big picture and focusing on the "A" goals...they are an objective voice of reason that many of us over achievers need from time to time.  I'm doing my first IM next season and I'm planning to hire a coach even though I am completely capable of developing a training plan for myself.  It will allow me to focus on my training rather than the planning.
2006-09-21 10:56 PM
in reply to: #548682

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
. I'm doing my first IM next season and I'm planning to hire a coach even though I am completely capable of developing a training plan for myself. It will allow me to focus on my training rather than the planning.

i agree that that is a wise thing to do. you'll probably come in under 11h.

2006-09-22 5:01 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I am doing my first half and a full next year. I hired a coach in december of last year and have had great success. This is only my send year but I feel my coach brought focus to my workouts as well as taking the stress out of planning what i was doing next.
She also helped with technique, questions I had that were silly, developing plans that fit my fitness level (because we tested a lot), and was there for support when I thought I was not doing better.

I say go for the coach

2006-09-22 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I hired a coach 18 months ago and have been amazed at the progress I made this year. No way would I have improved as much as I did without his guidance. Read my RR from when I started to now. I'm not ever going to win anything, but am proud at the progess I have made. My A race this year, I really was surprised how well I did...for me.

I think a coach helps hold you back often when rest is really the answer at times when type A tri people want to push push push and not take time off or doing less is more. I wanted my time spent training to be as beneficial as possible so a coach allows that to be true. He also encouraged me to think about my goals and helped create a long term plan to get me to them.

Hiring a coach now will help you the most as you have a great off season when most folks really can improve the most. I started with my coach in April....way to late to get full benefit that first year.

A lot of training and racing is mental strength. My coach has helped me with that a lot and I now race with more confidence and enjoy it more plus I'm faster as well. Plus having someone that really knows to bounce thoughts & ideas around is huge. I can not ever imagine training now without a coach, as I have seen such a difference in training & enjoyment of training/racing...as my workouts have a purpose and I know what it is.

I think the money spent on a coach far exceeds the value of some tri toys we all indulge ourselves with.

2006-09-23 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
One of the things like that makes me seriously consider getting a coach is the number of coaches who are coached. If someone with enough experience and knowledge to sell their services to others feels that it is a good investment to have someone plan/monitor their training - then I would say the average athlete who has only ever read the TTB would benefit from having a coach.

Shane
2006-09-25 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
It is impossible for a person to seperate themselves and be an objective observer of their own training.  In the theatre, it is very difficult to direct yourself because you cannot see what the audience is going to see.  I cannot afford a coach, and my plan is to do an HIM in 2007 and an IM in 2008....but I would in a heart beat if I had the resources. 
2006-09-25 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
I hired a coach in July to get me ready for IMAZ. Best decision I've ever made. And I'm fairly techy and well-read in training plans, periodization, nutrition, etc. But I'm telling you, having that objective eye analyzing your training is worth every penny. I wish I would have started sooner with him.

2006-09-26 11:14 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Great responses! Thanks everyone for your input.
2006-09-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: #549694

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
gsmacleod - 2006-09-23 7:48 AM

One of the things like that makes me seriously consider getting a coach is the number of coaches who are coached. If someone with enough experience and knowledge to sell their services to others feels that it is a good investment to have someone plan/monitor their training - then I would say the average athlete who has only ever read the TTB would benefit from having a coach.

Shane

Excellent point. I found out my coach has a coach too. I was floored by that. My coach is an amazing athlete and source of inspiration. He is obviously training at a much higher level (and he isn't a pro) so if it helps him, a good coach can do wonder for a MOP.

My coach has absolutely been essential. I did start with a low level of training/knowledge and he has expedited my learning curve. I already felt like I had done a triathlon before I ever did the actual race. We don't just do pure training.

In fact, I am meeting him today at a coffee shop to discuss the next 14 months and develop a training plan (which will include a half-IM!).

I know from my golf days that the worst thing you can do is train wrong. You will actually dig yourself deeper in a hole and make it more difficult to reverse. I see people with bad swings beating balls at the golf range and all they are doing is ingraining a bad swing. Better off to do nothing!

Cheers
2006-09-28 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I'm working with a coach to help me come back from my knee surgery and to prepare for Eagleman in 2007. Even after only a couple of months (and no races) it's been well worth the money.

For me the best benefit is the structure the coach provides, and the extra kick in the tail I get from knowing I've made an investment in my training. Some point out, quite correctly, that there are a lot of resources online, from Tri-clubs, etc., but I think these can confuse the issue of how to train as much as clarify them -- there are just so many options, opinions, and methods available.

I used to coach myself when I ran and raced frequently, but trying to work out my own training plans for triathlon involved constant revision and second-guessing. At any rate, so far so good, and we'll see how well I do next year.

2006-09-30 12:08 PM

Regular
Buffalo,NY
Nobody tells me what to do !!! .Seriously I think one of the interesting part of doing an irondistance triathlon is setting a road map (training ,nutrition...)and I think hiring a coach would take away a part of that .This is my own opion .I signed in for lake placid in 2007 I am doing my own plan at the moment ,I will probably learn alot from my mistakes 'and will use it for the futures IM .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach or no coach? 1/2 and full IM distances Rss Feed  

of 1