Westfields Business Owners Association and Revolution3
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 38m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

2 Uncrustables and a Green Machine juice 5.5 hours before start, and a pouch of Skratch chews and a bottle of Skratch hydration about 2 hours before. I had picked up my packet the day before, so I just needed to get my chip, get bodymarked, and set up my transition.
Chatted a bit with some of the ladies I was racked with. It was pretty chilly out, so I was glad for my hoodie and sweatpants. Listened to the anthem and headed in to the pool to line up.
Event warmup:

Waiting in line for 30 minutes to get in the pool. It was actually quite warm and humid on deck, so it could have been worse.
Swim
  • 05m 40s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lucky me, with a smooth pool swim! I hadn't been in the water for two weeks, due to some illness, but it was all good once I pushed off. Got passed by the lady behind me, but it took her about 175m to catch me.
I did notice in some of the pictures J got of me, my arms are seriously wide on recovery. Like, am I doing butterfly? I should probably get some refresher lessons.
What would you do differently?:

Nada. With a swim this short, it acted as my warm up. I swam long and strong, and just chilled.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Its a fairly long walk across concrete to get from the pool exit to the bike racks. I grabbed my flip flops, which I had stashed outside the gym door, and walked about half way, then switched to a light trot. No big rush, make sure I have everything, and off I went.
Got clipped in on my second try (what? who is this girl?!) and got started off with hardly any anxiety. J even commented that I looked confident as I set out on the bike.

Nothing. I'm not trying to be a speed demon in transition.
Bike
  • 46m 24s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Ummmm, say what now? I think the course was a little short, but I'm still really pleased with my time. It started to rain a bit during the first lap, but it petered out pretty quick. I actually passed some people, and not just people on cruisers and hybrids. I actually passed one lady on a tri bike!
I felt like I was going to die on the little hill by the school, which of course since its by transition is where most of the spectators are. It was nice to get some cheers to boost me up the hill. (Which isn't a hill, by the way. It just seems that way when you're redlining.)

Drink. It was a super short course, so I opted out of wrestling with my hydration pack. That means I didn't take in any fluids. I actually didn't feel bad for it, since it was so cool out.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Took a bit to get my shoes on, b/c everything was a bit wet from the earlier shower.

Grab my hat and race belt and go, rather than fussing with it while standing still in transition.
Run
  • 40m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually did some run/walk intervals right from the start, and I think it made a big difference. I wound up counting steps, because I had some kind of stupid idea that my watch beeping for my intervals would be irritating to others. Is that stupid? I feel like it is.
Anyway, I ran for maybe the first mile with fellow teammate Chris, but she was just a touch faster than me, so after the first mile and a half I told her to go on.
There's a bit of a hill coming out of the trails, which I walked - I wanted to be able to run the finish chute. And I did!

Set the intervals on my watch so I could keep with them rather than ridiculous counting.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line, got my medal and a bottle of water, and went to find J. We found each other quickly, and started walking the parking lot. I got some pretty bad nausea, which made getting fluids in pretty difficult. There were also a few times where I got a bit of tunnel vision. Fortunately J kept me on my feet, and I managed to avoid a trip to the med tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My consistency in training has only been for the last few weeks. More consistency should yield more improvement.

Event comments:

Considering Rev3 wound up losing a bunch of their races to Ironman last year, I think they're still hanging on pretty well. That said, they're totally hanging on. No more names on the placards in transition, latex caps instead of silicone, unisex shirts, less swag, etc. They still run a pretty tight ship, and it was a wonderful day. Its just really sad that an organization that used to have so many events is now down to just three sprints. That clearly doesn't bring in enough revenue to add so much "pomp" to each event.

Last updated: 2019-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:40 | 250 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snake swim in possibly the widest lanes of all time. Super easy to swim two abreast, which made passing a breeze.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:18
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:24 | 12 miles | 15.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/17
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:20 | 03.1 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/17
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2019-04-30 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Westfields Sprint Triathlon

2019-04-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5258266

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Westfields Sprint Triathlon

Originally posted by Atlantia

What a great way to kick off the season - a PR and a few areas where you identified improvements or changes could be made!  Big congratulations on the PR and staying out of the med tent.  I hope you continue to make progress learning how to keep your body fueled/hydrated/whatever it takes to not have issues.  I'm glad to hear Rev3 is still hanging in there but it is a shame they are dwindling away, they are a great organization.

2019-04-30 3:11 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Great race! So glad you got a PR!
2019-05-01 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

A PR to start the season- no too shabby at all!! And, you stayed out of the medical tent, so bonus points! I’m really sorry to read about REV3, I did the HIM a couple of times that they had on Florida’s west coast and really liked them. They put on a much different , much more racer friendly event, then IM branded ones. Sad they are not doing well now.

2019-05-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by amd723

A PR to start the season- no too shabby at all!! And, you stayed out of the medical tent, so bonus points! I’m really sorry to read about REV3, I did the HIM a couple of times that they had on Florida’s west coast and really liked them. They put on a much different , much more racer friendly event, then IM branded ones. Sad they are not doing well now.

Its so disappointing.
Rev3 Williamsburg was an event that I'd been at the last few years and met up with lots of friends who don't live super close. It was awesome to have a festival with lots of distances. I would do the Sprint, friends would do the Oly and HIM, etc. Now there's just IM Virginia 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westfields Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Texas Sized Sprint Course

Started by kentwest
Views: 871 Posts: 1

2018-05-11 3:25 PM kentwest

TexasMan Sprint Triathlon

Started by kentwest
Views: 821 Posts: 1

2018-05-08 11:17 PM kentwest