General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apathy setting in Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-05-10 11:44 AM

Subject: Apathy setting in
Hi folks;

I'm hoping some of you will tell me that what I'm experiencing is normal and what any of you who have experienced this have done to overcome it:

My first race (a Try-a-Tri) is coming up fast, on June 2. I feel like I should be growing more and more excited as the day approaches. Instead, I'm not. I just feel tired/worn out and have had a couple of workouts lately where I felt like I was doing them because I HAD to. I've registered for a Sprint happening in July and have even contemplated withdrawing from that.

I don't want that to happen considering the time (and money) I've invested in training. I first started swimming in December, and since then my butt has been in the pool two or three times a week. And I'm still not feeling 100% confident about the 375-metre swim in my Tri-a-Try (let alone 750 m in the Sprint), even though my swimming HAS improved. I have been planning to head to the Try-a-Tri race site this weekend (with a friend) for an open-water swim practice. Normally, I'd be itching to do that, but again, I feel like I just don't want to.

I've been working with a coach and I've been keeping a close eye on my nutrition and sleep, so I doubt those are factors.

Do I just need an extra rest day or something? Should I have more faith in myself? How do I get the fire and excitement back?

2019-05-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: #5258626

User image

Subject: RE: Apathy setting in
I’ve hit this feeling before. Usually I just need an extra rest day and a change in perspective. Instead of thinking “ I HAVE to train” I reframe it is as: “I GET to train.” Training is hard, it takes a toll on you physically, but more importantly, mentally.

Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Take a step back and realize that you will be surrounded by a lot of folks who are all doing the same thing as you. Triathletes are some of the most supportive folks I’ve met.

Maybe instead of a run you could go for a walk with a friend. Go for an easy ride on the bike, leave your garmin or bike computer at home. Just go take in the sights and enjoy being outdoors. Hating the pool? Leave it for a few days. Take a mental break. Remember, this is a hobby for most of us.

I just finished a 14 week 70.3 plan and I can tell you that I started to dread some workouts.

If you aren’t recovering well, resting well, or if your heart rate is running high then you need to take a day or two off. If you keep pushing you’ll end up sick or injured. Hope you can get back in the swing of things and do well in your upcoming events!
2019-05-11 2:59 AM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

x2

Take a day off and "smell-the-roses."  Your training isn't going to suffer because you take a day and recharging your batteries will make you stronger moving forward.  Whenever I have an athlete that begins feeling what you are describing we take a day off, then pull-back by reducing the training for a couple days so the body can rest and recover.

2019-05-11 9:08 AM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Have definitely been there. Like others have said, I either take it easy, go get a massage, or do something active but not at all tri related: roller skating, rock climbing, hiking, snowshoeing, mountain biking (ok, that last one still involves a bike). I usually feel refreshed after a little break!
2019-05-13 3:33 PM
in reply to: triathlete_to_be

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Sounds like a case of the Mondays... you know where what you are doing seems more like a chore than fun.
If you have been like a machine knocking out workouts for weeks on end on a regimented plan, you need a break or a change up.
We can't just keep cranking out the same routine week after week.
Burn out.

Ask your coach for a change up of workouts. Spice it up. Something new and fun.

I also posted some thoughts on motivation in general for perspective.

https://www.facebook.com/SetThePaceTriathlonDotCom/photos/a.28394870...
2019-05-13 10:18 PM

Originally posted by triathlete_to_be

Hi folks;

I'm hoping some of you will tell me that what I'm experiencing is normal and what any of you who have experienced this have done to overcome it:

My first race (a Try-a-Tri) is coming up fast, on June 2. I feel like I should be growing more and more excited as the day approaches. Instead, I'm not. I just feel tired/worn out and have had a couple of workouts lately where I felt like I was doing them because I HAD to. I've registered for a Sprint happening in July and have even contemplated withdrawing from that.

If I'm being blunt, maybe triathlon isn't for you? If you're feeling apathetic and burnt out before you've even done a race, then I can't see this changing much. You need to enjoy and look forward to a good portion of the training. If you start dreading most sessions then your time in the sport is limited. Maybe cut back on the training, take some time off, do the race and then take stock.

2019-05-14 7:22 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

I definitely would disagree with someone deciding if triathlon was for them BEFORE they have done a race. The first time I did a tri I really enjoyed the fitness that I was finding and it was a totally new way of staying in shape. However, it wasn't something that I was planning on staying with as a lifestyle. Training can be hard it can feel like you are going nowhere. I can say that I didn't always want to do it. In the end, after I crossed that first finish line and I realized what that accomplishment feels like I was hooked. I still have some days when I don't sleep well or I just don't nail a workout the way I want to that are really really hard. I hate that feeling. However, I know there is a big picture and a sense of accomplishment when you achieve your goals that makes all of those tough days worth it.

In response to the original poster. A few days off is not going to derail your training. So, if you need to skip a session or two go for it. Or if you like one of the disciplines more than an another do it. I know that I have subbed a bike for a run when I just wanted to be on my bike. Making training fun is important but you don't need to love every session. Hopefully the positives out weigh the negatives though.
2019-05-14 12:15 PM

User image

How did the OWS go?

Originally posted by triathlete_to_be
And I'm still not feeling 100% confident about the 375-metre swim in my Tri-a-Try (let alone 750 m in the Sprint), even though my swimming HAS improved.

I'm going to take a shot and ask if it could be nerves or nerves and burn out? You said you're swimming three days a week, assuming your biking & running is on par, that seems like A LOT of training for a try-a-tri or sprint. I trained for 8 months before I FELT ready for my first sprint, and I was really over trained.

I say stick it out to the try-a-tri. On race day, relax and remember your only expectation is to finish. I'll bet you do better than you think.
2019-05-14 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Hi tribe;

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I've been feeling better — resting, keeping things in perspective, and even changing the times of day that I train has helped. (And yes, I do put a lot of pressure on myself. Trying to keep that in check now.)

I've been working with a coach, and now swim twice a week. I may sneak in a third time on occasion, to do things like practice open-water swimming. (Swimming is not my strong suit — I'm really not worried about the bike and run).

I only managed to get in a few strokes during my open-water swim practice, because the lake was so cold! A park ranger even came by and said no swimming was allowed, because of the water temperature. My coach said I was brave and a bit crazy, lol. But at a least I got a taste of what it felt like, and my initial reaction was "Yeah, I can do this." My boyfriend came with me and he said, "From what I saw, your technique has really improved and you looked like a swimmer swimming, and not like someone trying not to drown." Lol.

And yes, I am feeling some nerves as race day approaches.

Edited by triathlete_to_be 2019-05-14 2:06 PM
2019-05-14 9:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by jnuger

I definitely would disagree with someone deciding if triathlon was for them BEFORE they have done a race. The first time I did a tri I really enjoyed the fitness that I was finding and it was a totally new way of staying in shape. However, it wasn't something that I was planning on staying with as a lifestyle. Training can be hard it can feel like you are going nowhere. I can say that I didn't always want to do it. In the end, after I crossed that first finish line and I realized what that accomplishment feels like I was hooked. I still have some days when I don't sleep well or I just don't nail a workout the way I want to that are really really hard. I hate that feeling. However, I know there is a big picture and a sense of accomplishment when you achieve your goals that makes all of those tough days worth it.

Yeah perhaps I was being a bit presumptuous. And I'm not being negative, just realistic. I've just not heard of many people feeling apathetic about their training before they've even done a race. Most of the time they're chomping at the bit to do their first race. The apathy doesn't set in till 5 years later! My point was, don't stress about the apathy, don't force yourself to train if you hate it, do what training you feel like and enjoy your first race. It's not a good sign feeling apathetic so early on, but it doesn't mean it will stay like that.

Edited by zedzded 2019-05-14 9:16 PM
2019-05-14 11:45 PM
in reply to: #5258626

User image

Cypress, Texas
Coaching is difficult. You have to find what drives your athlete so you can push them as far as they can go. When I was working with a coach I often felt worn out. Some time I would even feel as worn out coming out of rest week as I did going in but I wanted to give my best effort every week. Part of my motivation was to prove to my coach that I could keep up with anything he threw my way. Part of it way that I didn’t want my coach to feel he was wasting his time working with me. Part of it was that I wanted to see how much I could progress while working with a coach. I was self coached for three years before being coached, was coached for s year, and have self coached again for 8 month. Working on my own (before and after) I never worked as many hours in a week and was always more rested. I never feel like working out is a job because I only do what I plan and schedule. Working with a coach I put everything in the hands of someone I fully trusted and let him make the plans. Yes it felt like something I had to do sometimes. For example Pre-coach I loved cycling out doors. With my coach I got a bike trainer and went indoors. At first I felt I wAs giving up what I liked about the sport and trading in fun for work. Now I find the trainer ride fun too. Not fun because I get to see pretty country but because I can do power training and see my progress over time. So working with a coach that is pushing you to the limits I can see why you might feel like you do. I agree that cutting thing back and getting more rest will get you past what you are going through. Let you coach know how you feel. The coach can’t make adjustments if they don’t know you are feeling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apathy setting in Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

11spd Crank Set with 10 Speed Cassette

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 667 Posts: 6

2019-03-10 10:46 PM TriJayhawkRyan

Setting Heart Rate Training Zones

Started by k9car363
Views: 934 Posts: 1

2018-11-22 3:59 AM k9car363

Adult Onset Swimmer sets Masters Swimming Regional Record