Kinetic Multisport
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 01m 58s
Overall Rank = 14/16
Age Group = F
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

9am start time! I woke up around 4 and ate my breakfast, took a shower, fumbled a bit with packing up because it felt like I was forgetting something, then woke J for the easy 90 minute drive to Lake Anna.
Got my packet, bodymarked, and then Jen and I went to set up our transition spaces. So minimal! I just had my shoes, race belt, and hat in a plastic bag. It was sort of wavering between misting and lightly raining the whole time.
Event warmup:

Putting on my wetsuit was certainly a workout. I hadn't thought I was going to wear it, with the water temp being 74 degrees, but after seeing so many of my teammates put theirs on, and admitting to myself I could use the practice getting out of it so as to avoid a repeat of the Waterman's fiasco, I decided to go with it. Then we made our way down to the beach and awaited the start.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 17m 54s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a pretty good swim, especially considering my wave included all the novices, relay participants, aquabikers, and aquathletes. Quite the mixed bag of abilities, but it never felt rough. I avoided contact, even around the buoys. I didn't feel a current, visibility was as good as it gets in Lake Anna, and I feel like I sited pretty well.
I tried to remember to focus on rotation and keeping my head down, which I have a tendency to forget about when in open water. I swam it in until I touched the sand twice, and stood up in about shin deep water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm quite pleased with how this went. I started kicking somewhere in the last 200 meters to wake my legs up.
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Once out of the water its a short bit along the sidewalk, then up a small hill to the grassy transition area. I had a bit of trouble with the velcro of my wetsuit. I got the zipper down, but then the velcro had reattached itself and it baffled me for a moment.
I think I was doing something of a light trot once I got inside transition. It was muddy, and I didn't want to slip. I got my wetsuit pulled down to my shins, then started stepping on the edges to get my feet out. Weirdly, I got my foot with the chip out fine, and it got stuck on the other foot for a moment. Certainly a much better showing than Waterman's, where I just had no idea how to get the sucker off.

More practice in the wetsuit, so that the zipper, velcro, and removal processes are more second nature.
Run
  • 40m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This course begins with a steep climb away from Lake Anna. Its about 1/2 mile long, and after coming out of the water it felt strange to be running. My muscles weren't quite sure what I was asking of them, but I settled into 90 second run/30 second walk. During the first mile I walked through two of the run breaks to keep my HR in control, but then I stayed with my intervals the rest of the time.
From mile 1-2(ish?) you're on an out and back, so it was fun to see and cheer for people on the other side of the road, especially since the spectator support was over by transition. I saw the about 4 women who were ahead of me, so I thought for a moment I might be in 5th, but found out after the race that the first two women were just incredibly speedy and probably already done by the time I hit mile one.
I saw one lady who wasn't too far behind me when I hit the turnaround, and she was good incentive to keep moving. Gave Jen a high five when we passed each other, then made the turn to the mercifully downhill last half mile or so.
During the last bit I started to get caught by the leading men from the triathlon, so it was good fun cheering them on as they zoomed past. The last quarter mile went onto a paved wooded trail, which was really pretty, but kind of narrow to be going downhill in the rain with people passing me. Still, that's my favorite part of the course. You pop out by the water, and make your way over to the finish line. And then that's it. Aquathlon complete!

The intervels felt comfortably difficult, so I think I would keep everything the same.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, was handed a bottle wrapped in a small facecloth with my medal, turned in my chip to the rude girl who was shouting at people to turn in their chips, and found J.
Walked around a bit, since I had gone a bit fuzzy headed and numb handed during the last mile. It happens with the HR goes over 193. Got my wits about me in time to cheer Jen across the finish line, then started making my way back to transition to get my things, etc.
I hung out at the Team Z tent for a little while, chatting with people about how their races turned out. Congratulated Melissa, who was third overall female. Didn't realize until later that evening when the results were posted that Jen was third masters overall female. Big day on the podium for Team Z!
The rain started down in earnest, so I booked it not long after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and aerobic conditioning. My VO2 Max test for running is scheduled for June. From there I'll be able to start training both my run and my cycling to my zones. Combined with a renewed sense of vigor with regards to nutrition, I'm feeling confident that I'll be able to start bringing some of those numbers down.

Event comments:

Considering it was a rainy Mother's Day, the turnout wasn't bad. This is now my second Kinetic event after Waterman's last year, and I really enjoyed it. The volunteers have lots of good energy, they are convenient to home, safe courses, and good post race spread. I'm looking forward to doing a couple more Kinetic Multisports races this season, and I really hope they start adding Aquathlon to more of their events.

Last updated: 2019-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/16
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:17:54 | 750 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 7/16
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 3 sided rectangle, clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  03:42
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:40:21 | 03.1 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 9/16
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2019-05-14 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Kinetic Sprint Aquathlon

2019-05-14 2:51 PM
in reply to: #5258753

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Kinetic Sprint Aquathlon

Congratulations!

2019-05-15 9:17 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Great job, it sounds like a fun race!  Well except for the steep climb right away after the swim, that sounds like the opposite of fun.  Another good early season race for you, yay!

2019-05-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by melbo55

Great job, it sounds like a fun race!  Well except for the steep climb right away after the swim, that sounds like the opposite of fun.  Another good early season race for you, yay!

It was Type II fun for sure.
2019-05-15 3:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Whoop! Great job in the rain!

2019-05-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
East Coast weather is just insane this year - swim water temps are still crazy cold and it rains at least every other day!

Congrats on your race. I've heard good things about Kinetic! Might be 1 in my future too.

2019-05-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

East Coast weather is just insane this year - swim water temps are still crazy cold and it rains at least every other day!

Congrats on your race. I've heard good things about Kinetic! Might be 1 in my future too.

Doooooooo eeeeeeeeet!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Sprint Aquathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

White Lake Spring Sprint

Started by ncpistol
Views: 737 Posts: 1

2018-05-24 6:57 PM ncpistol

Mighty Moraine Man sprint

Started by davekeith
Views: 654 Posts: 1