United States
IM ABLE Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 6s
Overall Rank = 178/298
Age Group = Sturdy Girl
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Got to the parking area around 6:30 which afforded us a nice, early arrival to secure a spot on the macadam in transition rather than the stones/gravel. One of the best things about this race is it's local and I see so many friends and acquaintances there which makes it even more fun. Chatted with people as I set up my area.

Sipped on Nuun throughout the morning, ate a Stinger cracker bar sometime before putting my wetsuit on. Fought with the wetsuit (seriously the worst part of triathlon!) to be ready before the announcements and national anthem.
Event warmup:

After the announcements and anthem we walked down to the lake. Hmm, come to think of it, I didn't do my usual pre-swim arm swings, etc., so I guess there was no event warmup, lol!
Swim
  • 13m 58s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

This year they increased the swim from 500 yards to 750 meters, I'm not certain why. Unfortunately, they didn't add any buoys on the 'long stretch' and it made it tough to sight. I may have gotten slightly off course? Hard to tell.

Wave/wade start during which I had time to make an interesting observation: there were apple snail shells floating in the water near the start, quite a few of them. I'd never seen them in here before. Odd. I had tossed one of them on the bank and then realized there were a lot more than just one so I let them be. The water seemed to be a lot dirtier than usual, not sure why. They empty the lake over winter and then refill it a few weeks before the race. Spring fed.

Got off to a good start, not stuck behind people like often happens at this event. I did encounter a few breast strokers who made things interesting but I eventually got past them without incident.

It was funny, I always splash my face with the cold water to get it ready for what it's about to endure, so the inital face in water part wasn't bad once the start horn sounded. As I swam I thought, OK, this is cold but not terrible. Then the farther I swam, the colder it felt and I though wow! Eventually I didn't mind the cold and after rounding the first buoy we were in the sun and the water was noticeably warmer.

I continued having mostly unimpeded progress during the long stretch. As mentioned previously, it was tough to tell how straight I was tracking with the buoy so far away. Hit some congestion rounding the second buoy and congestion on the stretch to the beach but I still made decent progress. Swam 'til my hand hit bottom, then stood up and did my (unintentional) Creature from the Black Lagoon impression, staggering out of the water. Goggles off, cap off, made my way up the hill to transition fighting with my wetsuit, round 1.

Edited to add: official water temp was 58*F
What would you do differently?:

Maybe be more conscious of my kick. In hindsight I'm not sure how much I was kicking. Perhaps site the 'long side' better? Otherwise, not much. I felt the swim went well overall.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

I think I was hesitant to get too aggressive with my wetsuit removal since I was on the macadam instead of grass, I didn't want to cut it all up. Therefore I struggled a bit to get it off my heels and fully removed. Put bike gear on and trotted to the mount line. Compared to other years it wasn't a bad time.

Have a slightly smoother wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 58m 41s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Not too much to say about the bike. There were more potholes in more places than ever this year but thankfully I'd pre-ridden the course 2 times and knew where they were. Passed a few people, got passed by more. Tried to cheer on those I passed especially the IMAble athletes (adaptive).

Did a little back and forth with a handful of folks, lost some time because I chose to stay behind the one woman rather than pass (should've passed) and ditto with another guy (but for less duration). I felt I did decent on the hills (eff you Lawn Hill, I will always dislike you!) but didn't thrash myself to get over them. Pushed pretty hard on the flats when I could.

Saw an adaptive athlete climbing Old Mine as I was (he was a good bit in the distance) and I expected to catch him. Nope. He was hauling a$$! I eventually caught him as we were on the short road back to transition. I think he went on to the the IMAble category male winner.

This ended up being an average bike for me for this course, maybe just slightly above average. Maybe work the hills a little harder? IDK, I gave the hills a decent effort but didn't try to gut myself on them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Eh, so so. It felt really clompy running in my bike shoes, I probably should've taken my feet out. Oh well. Had a little trouble getting into my running shoes. Slightly slower time than usual on this transition, probably because of keeping my bike shoes on?

Bike stuff off, running shoes and hat on. Grabbed a gel and was off.

Take feet out of shoes while still riding. Do something to not fumble with my running shoes as much.
Run
  • 33m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Aaaand here's where the wheels fell off. This was NOT a good run for me.

They changed the beginning (well, and ending a little) part of the course and it involved almost immediately climbing a grade. It wasn't steep, just annoying. I really couldn't catch my breath but forced myself to keep running. Passed the one guy I was yo-yo-ing with on the bike, he told me he has two new knees.

I think I was on the rail trail part when the woman I was yo-yo-ing with passed me and I said, "See, I told you you'd pass me back!" She was very nice and it was only at this point I noticed she was also an IMAble athlete, I think the only female adaptive athlete I've ever seen at this race.

My husband who was also racing (who I had a goal of to stay ahead of) passed me in the first mile of the run - I had just downshifted into a walk to try to get my breathing under control. Dagnabbit!!! Ugh, that really frustrated me. Everyone I knew who was racing (except one) passed me on the run, you know, along with practically the entire field.

I ate my gel somewhere before the water stop but at this point I think it was too late to make a difference. I did attempt to rally and push a little harder in the last mile (which I did) but overall I just didn't have the lungs or legs today, mainly lungs. The pollen has been HORRIBLE lately and that likely played a part in it. What also hurt was it was hotter than it has been (although not hot by many standards) and I wasn't acclimated to running in that sort of heat yet.

The best part of the whole thing was my friends cheering me on at the finish. LT's mom got one of the better pictures I've seen of me running. It actually looks like I'm running!

Eat my gel earlier, like while still on the bike, probably nearing the end.
Run the whole time and not need to walk.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately headed to the table where they had water and Gatorade. EFP came over to me, then I got the low-down of all my friends' races and how they did.

I ended up getting 1/3 Athena. They both had better runs than me. Had I run the run I typically run, I'd have been the fastest in all 3 disciplines in this group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight. My breathing. The heat, er, 'heat'. Not having my nutrition quite dialed in.

Event comments:

Best race in terms of the cause and organization it supports. I hope to be able to support this race and IMAble for many years to come. It was great to see the RD had some new, big sponsors behind him that, with the race fees, made it possible to provide/fund adaptive equipment for two athletes (it's usually just one). Good stuff.

Last updated: 2018-12-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:58 | 750 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 124/298
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle with one short, one very long, and one medium length side.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:41 | 16 miles | 16.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/298
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:43 | 03.1 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/298
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-05-20 4:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Got the Nerve? Triathlon

2019-05-21 5:10 AM
in reply to: #5258985

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Got the Nerve? Triathlon
'My husband who was also racing (who I had a goal of to stay ahead of) passed me in the first mile of the run"

NOOO - That is the worst. I had the wheels come off on the run in my last race too. Sucks. I'm glad the swim and bike went well though and that you were able to see some friends! And first in age group!
2019-05-21 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Sorry the wheels came off on your run, but still a good showing I think. Way to go! Sounds like a really neat event.
2019-05-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by awm007 'My husband who was also racing (who I had a goal of to stay ahead of) passed me in the first mile of the run" NOOO - That is the worst. I had the wheels come off on the run in my last race too. Sucks. I'm glad the swim and bike went well though and that you were able to see some friends! And first in age group!

Yeah, him passing me so soon took the wind out of my sails for a beat.  I yelled something at him like, "Noooo, not already!"  LOL. I threw myself a pity party, then sucked it up and kept going.

2019-05-21 9:31 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Sorry the wheels came off on your run, but still a good showing I think. Way to go! Sounds like a really neat event.
It really is a neat event for many reasons.  While it's always been very supportive of and open to adaptive athletes, this year the race became USAT and also the Northeast Paratriathlon Regional Championship which I feel pulled in a few more adaptive racers than previous years.  The RD himself was once non-adaptive but a degenerative disease caused him to need a wheelchair and he's lost the use of his legs, so now he says he is more active than he was before his illness and he dedicates himself to helping other adaptive athletes stay or become active.  He owns a gym that caters to athletes of any ability level and strives to raise money to help adaptive athletes get the equipment they need to become active or stay active.  Incredibly great guy and incredibly great cause, I can't say enough good about him or his work!

2019-05-21 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Congrats on a great race and on the 1st place! Being first in 2 of 3 disciplines is fantastic. Sorry the run wasn't what you wanted -especially that your husband passed you -ugh!! This sounds like a great race and you've taught me new words -adaptive and non-adaptive athlete/s! 

2019-05-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Congrats on a great race and on the 1st place! Being first in 2 of 3 disciplines is fantastic. Sorry the run wasn't what you wanted -especially that your husband passed you -ugh!! This sounds like a great race and you've taught me new words -adaptive and non-adaptive athlete/s! 

Nice job Melanie!  Sorry your husband overtook.  Grrrrr, doesn't he know the rules .

2019-05-22 10:26 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo! Pod-i-um!!!!

Nice job out there. Mad respect for your swim!

2019-05-27 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job! I really like how much you just keep going. I'm sure that pity party was short and that you did indeed keep going.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Got the Nerve? Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Got the Nerve? Triathlon

Started by melbo55
Views: 795 Posts: 3

2018-05-29 12:55 PM mtnbikerchk

Los Fresnos Triathlon

Started by dboy25
Views: 543 Posts: 1

2018-05-22 7:52 PM dboy25