Kansas City Triathlon
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 2s
Overall Rank = 26/238
Age Group = 40-44M
Age Group Rank = 4/28
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4-ish to get some breakfast and coffee in me and to be on the road early enough to get to the race site in order to 1) pick up packet and 2) get a decent parking spot since parking in the field was a no go due to the large amounts of rain lately. In fact, it was raining from the moment I woke up until about 45 minutes before the start of the first wave. It was cloudy. It was cold. In fact, I've done one race in the past where organizers flat out canceled the swim and made the race a duathlon because of similar conditions. The announced water temp was 57 degrees, easily making it my coldest tri swim. As a result they made wetsuits mandatory for the longer distance and shortened the Olympic race from 1500 to 600.

Event warmup:

Er, not so much a warm-up as it was a opportunity to shock the body with cold water. But it's almost necessary.
Swim
  • 09m 34s
  • 650 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Clean start with no feet, elbows, or hands smacking me. The cold water hits you pretty hard all by itself and the exposed areas of my body (forehead, feet, and hands) were feeling the chill, but that feeling mostly fades into the background as I progressed through the swim. I immediately lost the first place guy in our wave and I stayed in second position for the remainder of the swim. The waves were well spaced out, so very little traffic to swim through, although there seemed to be quite the congregation of swimmers crowding around each turn buoy.

Second half of the swim my arms started to lose there umph, not sure if that's a product of swim training or the cold freezing up some muscle groups. But before I knew it, it was time to get out.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

A bit of a grassy mud pit running up the hill from the lake that I had to be careful with. Also, instead of peeling off the top half of my wetsuit as I ran to T1, as I normally would, I kept it on until I almost reached my bike. I was feeling a little cold and stiff. In, fact I really struggled to get my wetsuit off with quasi numb hands. To make it worse my suit got stuck on my watch which caused some buttons to get pressed, throwing off the whole multi-sport mode lap feature.

Not my best T1 but kinda didn't care, I just wanted to move onto the bike.

11/28
59/238
Bike
  • 1h 10m 50s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

After emerging from the lake I though I would've been fairly cold on the bike, at least initially, but not so. Instead I spent the next few minutes fooling around with my watch trying to get some sort of data tracking going, all while not paying attention to where I was riding.

I should say my feet were cold, but actually they had gone completely numb, almost no feeling at all. I tried wiggling my toes around while pedaling in attempt to get some feeling back, but it was to no avail. But, it wasn't hurting nor impacting my performance so I mostly just put it out of my mind.

The only thing really of note was how horrible a condition a few sections of Raytown Road were. This past winter really did a number on some of the older roads in the city and this road was no exception. There were parts were you couldn't really afford to put your head down and grind; you had to be extra aware. A few times I hung out in the left lane in between passing because the center line had non-stop gashes. With that said, it wasn't too big a deal as long as you paid attention. Also, with the rain gone the wind had almost disappeared and the roads were fairly dry by the time we hit the asphalt.
What would you do differently?:

Overall, upon reflection, the effort level on my behalf seemed high but mental intensity was a bit low which kinda in turn means I might a left some speed in the tank when I could have afforded to burn some.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Sooooo, I never did regain feeling in my feet during the bike, which meant it felt really weird standing up on a part of your body you can't feel. This makes putting on socks very awkward. I got one sock on ok, but then I almost fell over getting the other on and that resulted in me almost taking the entire bike rack out with me. So I literally had to sit down on the ground in transition to put on my sock. SMH. After that I was on the move. Again, very weird running on feet that you cannot feel.

7/28
44/238
Run
  • 42m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

First off, I didn't really get feeling back in my feet until part of lap two and even then it was partial. But, like the bike, it wasn't impacting my performance so I mostly just put the issue into the back of my mind. I passed a lot of sprint course racers. I saw no male Olympic distance racers at all, or really anyone to push me or dare me to go quicker, so it became mostly an individual race at this point. I wasn't feeling particularly quick but my splits were very decent and that made me happy. When those splits continued on to lap two, I continued to be happy. I'm so glad when things don't deteriorate and fall apart. Weather-wise it was perfect conditions, so that was working very much in our favor.

When all was said and done I was finishing my 7th KC Triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Oddly, I think I only saw one or two people I knew at this local race, so I didn't do much chatting or hanging out afterwards. While others were still racing and finishing up some dark clouds started to approach with rain. I took that as my cue to get packed up and get home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather and the cold caused my to check out a bit mentally. Ultimately I think that reduced my intensity and in turn the effort that I put out.

Event comments:

Ultramax, would you please come take over the Legend races? Thanks for the post race atmosphere, with Ironband playing, music, beer on tap post race, and a bbq food truck. Beer glasses (not goggles), trucker hats, and nice t-shirts for swag was nice too.

Last updated: 2019-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:34 | 650 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 15/238
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-sleeved
Course: Single clock-wise loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:50 | 24.85 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 29/238
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps, each with three hairpin turns.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:35 | 06.21 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 26/238
Course: Two lap course. 60% muddy crushed gravel, 40% pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-05-21 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon

2019-05-21 3:25 PM
in reply to: #5259025

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon

I got cold just reading this! Impressive stuff with numb feet - well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hub City Hustle Triathlon

Started by parrj
Views: 902 Posts: 2

2018-10-16 4:49 AM kylianmbape

Atlantic City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by lmecoll
Views: 1006 Posts: 1

2018-08-12 7:42 PM lmecoll