General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on the wrong side!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-05-30 4:37 PM

Subject: Running on the wrong side!!!!
Anyone know the official rule? In last Olympic distance race runners were going around a left hand turn. Runners were crossing over the yellow line to the far inside left shoulder to save time. And I get it run smart and don't run farther than you have to. But is this legal, shouldn't runners have to stay to the far left or far right berm that the run portion of the race started? In one know where to find the official rule?

2019-05-30 6:36 PM
in reply to: Jeff Maule

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Running on the wrong side!!!!
Normally there are cones defining the course and you are not supposed to cut past those. But if there aren't any cones, signs, or directional lines, and the road is closed to traffic, I think the whole road is fair game. Marathoners do this all the time; it's called "running the tangents". I have even been in races where people (including me!) run parallel to the road on the sidewalks or roadside grass (usually in an effort to get into the shade; in one case because I'd developed excruciating shin cramps in the final miles that were somewhat tolerable running on grass). Would guess though that cutting a turn this way would not be "legal" as the run and bike courses would be measured on the road.
2019-05-31 1:45 PM
in reply to: Jeff Maule

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

I agree with the above statement. On running the tangents, so many people hug the far right side of the road (or left side, depending on the country you race in) that they add extra distance. Courses are measured tangent to tangent.

As for the rules, USAT states:

Article VI : Running Conduct

6.1 Permitted Conduct. A participant must run or walk the entire portion of the run course. Except for reasons of safety and when no advantage is gained, all runners shall follow and remain within the prescribed course.

2019-05-31 10:07 PM
in reply to: #5259375

Awesome answers guys, unless otherwise marked out by the race directors run the course so that you going from tangent to tangent. Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on the wrong side!!!! Rss Feed