General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ok over 50 with big goals advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-02 7:00 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: ok over 50 with big goals advice please
I am not new been at this off and on mostly off since 2006 now after getting fatter than ever and gaining the high blood pressure perk I have decided to get back into it anyone ever gone from 1 mile run to Ironman in a year?

2019-06-02 9:45 PM
in reply to: #5259461

User image

Subject: RE: ok over 50 with big goals advice please
I’ve not completed a full distance triathlon so take all this with a grain of salt:

Could you do it? Probably. It will likely end up with you walking most of the marathon. You’re biggest hurdle will be avoiding injury. Over 50 years old and overweight is a bad combination when you’re going to be logging as many running miles as your training will call for.

A better plan would be to pick a 70.3 a year out and do some short course stuff between now and then. See how it goes and set your sights on a 2021 full distance triathlon. Make this next year and a half more about getting healthy and building your aerobic base and getting consistent.

But if you’re fixated on that one year goal of completing a 140.6 take a look at this page: http://www.laurenruns.com/ironman-slow/

It’s a breakdown of how slow you can go and still make the cutoffs in a full distance triathlon. If you think you can match these paces in a years time, go for it. Remember though, full distance triathlon isn’t going any where. Take your time. You can suffer through one under trained just to say you did it or you can take the time needed and have a good showing.

Glad to hear that you are getting serious about getting back into better health! If that one year goal motivates you, that’s awesome.

Maybe some folks who have completed the 140.6 distance will chime in with their experience and training.

2019-06-03 4:42 AM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CBarnes I am not new been at this off and on mostly off since 2006 now after getting fatter than ever and gaining the high blood pressure perk I have decided to get back into it anyone ever gone from 1 mile run to Ironman in a year?

First off, congratulations on deciding to become more healthy and pursue a more active lifestyle.

I worked with an athlete that went from "Marathon" to "Ironman" in well under a year.  While he had marathon fitness he had ZERO experience swimming (aside from recreational swimming) or cycling.  So it CAN be done.  That it can be done however is not necessarily the same as it SHOULD be done.  You aren't coming from "marathon fitness" which complicates the calculus.  The athlete I worked with was HIGHLY motivated - as evidenced by him investing several-thousand dollars early in his training ($10k+ for a new road bike and a triathlon bike, power meters for both bikes, Garmin Fenix5, Edge 520, plus other miscellaneous gear and a bike fit with with one of the most respected bike fitters in the United States).  I'm not for a moment implying you aren't equally motivated, nor that you must validate your motivation with a large money expenditure.  I'm merely saying when I started working with him, there was tangible evidence of his motivation to do the training necessary to achieve his goal.

My question to you is: WHY do you want to do an Ironman in a year?  Why is that more compelling than having a reasonable plan to get you to an Ironman in two or even three years?  By your own admission, you've been off and on for several years.  To go from "mostly off" to a training schedule of 15-20 hours/week is a HUGE change.  Granted it would be several months before you got to 15-20 hours/week but consistency in training is the foundation that an Ironman training plan is built upon.  Setting yourself up for success by having a planned build over a couple of years is a reasonable approach.  You're in Texas so the race season goes later into the fall than other areas of the country.  You can easily get in a sprint or two, maybe even a late season Olympic this year.  Take the off season to continue building your aerobic engine, then next season start with a couple Olympics and step up to a mid/late season 70.3, perhaps even two.  Then, take on an Ironman the following season.  You'd be in a MUCH better position to a) enjoy the Ironman, and b) do well in the Ironman as opposed to being under-trained and struggling to finish the Ironman.

If you are absolutely intent on doing an Ironman in a year, yes, you can likely accomplish that goal.  I tell my athletes all the time that a successful Ironman isn't about fitness - assuming you have the base level of fitness to complete the distance.  It takes time to learn the things you need to know, and be skilled at, in order to have a successful race - specifically pacing, nutrition/hydration, the mental aspect, transitions; not to mention swim/bike/run.  To do it in a year, everything will have to go right - very few missed workouts, no injuries, life not interfering with your plans, etc.  Overweight and over 50 doesn't line up well with no injuries when you consider the build you'd need to do to complete an Ironman in a year (a 2-3 year plan would greatly reduce the likelihood of injury).   If you can accomplish all that, and are willing to accept a VERY long and possibly painful race day, then go for it.

But again I ask WHY?

2019-06-03 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome back!  

I mentored a guy who went from couch to IMKY a few years back (so he completed his IM in August).  

Your challenge is likely to be impatience, and not being where you once were and therefore pushing too hard for gains and ending up injured.  

2019-06-03 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Define a year...

Full year?

Now to Jan 1?

12 months?

Inquiring minds want to know.
2019-06-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by CBarnes I am not new been at this off and on mostly off since 2006 now after getting fatter than ever and gaining the high blood pressure perk I have decided to get back into it anyone ever gone from 1 mile run to Ironman in a year?

It typically takes about three years to peak in endurance sports. 

You don't have to wait three years to do your first race, but you shouldn't expect to be in peak condition in one year and if you are racing in your first three years it should be to gain experience, measure progress, and to maintain motivation, focus, and direction. 

Having said that My first triathlon was a 70.3.  I did the 1-mile to 70.3 in 8 months.  I had been a runner for 30 years but it had been off-and-on the four years before starting my training for the 70.3 with more off than on.  I did an Ultra Ragnar Realy 10 months before starting my training for the 70.3 and had not done enough running since the Ragna Relay to really count at all.  I was on the 1-mile starting point. 

My first step was to lay out an 8-week 5K plan to gain some fitness back.  Since I had zero backgrounds with swimming and cycling I held off on those until I had some running base back.  I did the 5K 8 weeks later and it wasn't a really pretty performance but I was making progress.  I then did an 8 week half marathon training block.  By the time I got to the half marathon I was feeling like I was in shape.  I ran a 1 hr 30 minute half marathon which was better than the 1hr 36 minutes I had done in the same race the year before on 4 weeks of training (the more off than on plan) but nowhere near the sub 1hr 23 minute PR I had set four years earlier at a time when I had been consistent in my running for 2+ years. 

After the half Marathon, I started looking for a pool and a bike and two weeks later started an 8-week build training block that included swimming, cycling, and running.  After that, I did an 8-week race-specific training block to get me ready for the 70.3. 

I made huge improvements.  My bike pace on training rides increase from 18.5 MPH averaged to 19.9 MPH averages and the swimming improvements were twice that.  My running also improved.  I wasn't anywhere close to my 1 hr 23 minute half marathon pace but I and sure I could have done a 1 hr 26 minute open half marathon.  

On race day I was in the best shape of my life.  As a competitive runner, I would put in about 5-6 hours of training a week.  For the 70.3 triathlons, I had built up to almost 10 hours a week.   I felt that my potential was going to be about a 5 hours race time.  Well...my race time was over 7 hours.  I was NOT to my peak year despite being consistent in training for 8-1/2 months.  I, however, was thrilled to have finished the race and couldn't have been more proud of myself if I had been first place overall. 

I found a new drive in a new sport and so after the race I stuck with triathlon.  I have been doing Triathlons for four years now and finally went under 5 hours in the 70.3 distance last year  I don't know if I have peaked yet because I have done 8 triathlons and have set 8 PR's. 

I have never done a 140.6.  I don't have a desire to do one (yet) and mostly felt that there was no point in doing a 140.6 race as long as a 70.3 was holding my attention.  I figured that doing a 140.6 too early in my triathlon career would hurt my chances for success and possibly make me lose my drive for the sport to where I would slip into "more time off than on" like I had done with my running before finding triathlons. 

Yes, you can get ready for a race in a year.  Your results may be like my results were with going from zero to 70.3 in 8 months and finding that even after getting in the best shape of my life was still 2 hours over my potential at the half Iron distance. 

While I didn't do well in my 70.3 after 8 months It was a thrill to finish a race like that and it left me knowing that if I stuck with it for 3-4 years that I would see where my potential in the sport could be.  If you do the full IM in a year expect to do it for the experience and to build your motivation.  Don't expect to perform at your potential though. That will take a few years to get to when you are starting at one mile.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-06-03 3:48 PM

2019-06-05 7:18 AM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Thanks Ill check it out
2019-06-05 7:22 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Thank you for the advice WHY I have to say the answer is I fear I will loose motivation but your points are very strong and I also have had a tendency to yo yo train consistence has always been an issue for me
2019-06-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: #5259461

User image

I feel you on the losing motivation aspect. If I’m not registered for a race, I’m not motivated to train. That’s why I suggest signing up for 70.3 next year and find some shorter races to do between now and then.

I signed up for a 70.3 back in December but I’m also planning on doing a sprint and Olympic between now and then. That gives me basically 10 months out of the year to have motivation to train, a month to take it easy and recover in November, and then repeat the process as desired.
2019-06-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bronze member

I am all about goals...but wondering...when you were 'on and off' triathlon- whats the distance? are we talking sprints & Olympics or longer / have you done marathons? and are you fit at all as you start or are you starting from the couch?  an ambitious goal in my mind would be to start tomorrow committing to beginning a plan for a sprint sign up!  and a consistent block of training- with the goal of signing up for a carefully selected late season full next year...just my 2 cents

Edited by isis 2019-06-13 8:04 PM
2019-06-14 6:35 PM
in reply to: isis

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I am not fit feel free to look at my logs and post. the distances I used to do were sprints with 2 olys. I did one marathon took 5 and a half hours due to no nutrition the last 6 miles were absolute crap mostly walking. I have decided to go for a Half Iron in April of 2020 with a spring this Aug or Sept.

2019-06-14 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree that giving it some time with a more gradual progression of goals would be best. If you do have some run and tri background then I think a HIM within a year, and a full within two, with the right plan and consistent training, would be realistic.

I personally went from next to no running at the end of 2017 to finishing my first (and quite possibly only, but not for reasons relating to running) full IM last November. But the situation was somewhat different. I had taken pretty extensive time (almost four months) off running owing to a misdiagnosed injury which turned out to be not that serious, and manageable with a change of shoes and inserts (a nerve irritation, rather than a ligament tear as thought). I was working my butt off with aqua-jogging, swimming, and biking during the whole layoff. I was in excellent swim and bike shape for the HIM distance, and working back to running, at the time I committed to the Ironman in mid-March. I don't think my long runs topped 1:30 until April, or 2:00 till sometime in summer, but I was able to build up to a decent IM run (ran pretty much all of it except for some parts of the aid stations as I can't run and eat pretzels at the same time!) and ended up 3rd in my age group at IM Malaysia. But I have a BIG running background (40 years out of almost 50 on this earth) and, except for those four months in 2017, doubt I had ever gone more than a few weeks without getting in at least a few casual runs.

Setting goals is hard. On one hand, it needs to be challenging enough to be motivating. On the other, it's best if it's achievable without compromising long-term well-being and interest in the sport. I think a full IM within a year for you might be erring on the side of the latter.
2019-06-15 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Read "Fast Over 50" by Joe Friel. This has some great advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ok over 50 with big goals advice please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Goals for next season.

Started by Parkland
Views: 767 Posts: 4

2018-11-01 8:31 PM alicefoeller

Diagnosis, please

Started by nathan_strahl@yahoo.
Views: 480 Posts: 7

2018-07-11 3:57 PM Hot Runner

50 spam post ...

Started by Goggles Pizzano
Views: 837 Posts: 11