General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who is suffering more during the race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-08 4:13 PM

User image

Subject: Who is suffering more during the race?
I got into a discussion with a friend today about who is feeling the most pain during the race and especially the run. Is it the winners/FOPers because they have the most at stake and they are working at the redline for the entire race. Or is it the BOPers because they are out on the course the longest. Possibly it could be everyone. What do you think?

Keba

2019-06-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Who is suffering more during the race?
I think it's not necessarily a FOP/MOP/BOP issue. At all those speeds, you will have some individuals really pushing at the edge of what they are physically capable of, and going way out of their comfort zone, whether just to finish, to place in their age group, to beat their best time, or to accomplish whatever goal they've set for themselves. Someone might be BOP due to age, weight, disability, injury, or other reasons, and epically suffering just to finish before the time cutoff. True, pros or top age-groupers might be more likely to push their limits if prize money, rankings, or qualification is at stake, but I don't think racing all-out is limited to that group of athletes. If you watch the Kona (IM World Championship) coverage, you'll see some people who are struggling at the outer limits of their physical ability, all the way from the top pros to the final finisher. Plus lots of others who, while clearly working hard, are racing well within their limits. (For full IM in tropical conditions, the latter is probably a wise decision most of the time anyway!)

In any race you have some people who for whatever reason have more of a "complete" mindset (at least for that particular event) and are racing well within their limits. Even the pros sometimes will be able to win or place in the money without getting close to their limits, if no one shows up to challenge them on a particular day. Some might push for a fast time or course record; others (especially if they have a more important event coming up soon) just cruise home to get the win, prize $ or Kona slot. It's all in the person's approach to racing, not necessarily how fast they are.

One thing I definitely feel for BOP racers is how much longer they are out there when conditions are nasty. It's pretty common in summer races in the Pacific Northwest for temperatures to start out very moderate, even a bit cool for comfort, in the morning and then, for half or full iron distance, become brutally hot later on, typically peaking between 3 and 5 PM. At a HIM I did a few years ago, that would have been the difference between finishing the run when temps were in the low 70's (around noon) for me (in about 5:20) vs. mid to high 90's for a BOP finisher just under the 8:30 time limit. Yikes!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-06-08 7:53 PM
2019-06-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I think everyone suffers equally, just spread out over time and intensity.

IMO pros and FOP's mentally train to be able to push redline and be in pain in order to be faster. So, sorter time in that pain, but it's pretty high. It's not that they feel less pain, but they are able to manage it better going faster.

BOP's suffer in a different way by taking longer and having to keep moving when every fiber says, call it a day. Maybe lesser physical pain, but maybe more mental anguish extended over a longer period.
2019-06-08 9:21 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

I appreciate both of those answers. I come from a *just have fun and finish* perspective and after 14 years in the sport am still in it just to have fun and live the experience. I don't care about the time (that much). I have been in completely misery sitting in T2 thinking about the run and wanting to throw in the towel but I never do. I just go out and get the job done but I never feel like I am at the limit of what I'm capable of. My friend comes from a competitive running background and is only a few years in the sport. He is still in the early stages of figuring his place in the sport combined with an aging mid life body trying to be his BEST. It is a tough spot to be in because the body doesn't do what it used to and by the time you get to the run it is a tough place to be in.

IMO pros and FOP's mentally train to be able to push redline and be in pain in order to be faster. So, sorter time in that pain, but it's pretty high. It's not that they feel less pain, but they are able to manage it better going faster.

I think this is a good perspective. the redline for a pro may be completely different than a civilian.

Thanks for both of your answers.

Keba
2019-06-09 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5259651

User image

Cypress, Texas
I have been front of the pack (5 second off of first place overall) and I have been back of the pack (penultimate finisher in my AG), and I have been everything in between. I decide how much I want to hurt and slow down and speed up accordingly. I don’t get to choose how long I hurt though. The longer I am on the course the more it takes out of me. Races where I have had bike technicals and strand me out on the course for longer than planned are exponentially harder that doing the same effort without the delay in the course.
2019-06-10 7:07 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I have been front of the pack (5 second off of first place overall) and I have been back of the pack (penultimate finisher in my AG), and I have been everything in between. I decide how much I want to hurt and slow down and speed up accordingly. I don’t get to choose how long I hurt though. The longer I am on the course the more it takes out of me. Races where I have had bike technicals and strand me out on the course for longer than planned are exponentially harder that doing the same effort without the delay in the course.

So in order to be Front of FOP for the entire race I would imagine you are 100% focused on winning and pain goes along with that which is what you trained and prepared for. Is there any enjoyment in the moment during the race? Certainly your competitiveness is the driving force but is there *fun* in the moment OR does the enjoyment come at the end looking at the results?

Keba

2019-06-10 7:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a pro but in some previous years have been FOP in my age group. I would say, no, there's not much enjoyment in the normal sense of the word in the race itself when you are racing all-out. It's the satisfaction of doing what you trained to do, accomplishing your goal, the process of the training leading up to it (it's not all hard stuff, so there's some enjoyment there), the joy of being able to travel to different places to race, etc. Racing's like chili, not sugar. It's not immediately pleasurable, but stimulating and memorable. I do remember really enjoying some of my first World Championship because I really didn't have any competitive goals for the race; I was just so excited to be there.

Enjoyment is overrated anyway. Last time I was really enjoying myself in a race, I ended up tripping and breaking my elbow. Better just to focus on racing, I think, and save the enjoyment for after!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-06-10 8:01 AM
2019-06-10 7:59 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I guess my definition of enjoyment is "Not complete misery".

2019-06-10 8:02 AM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, the longer the race, the lower the intensity level, so in the early part of a full IM, you shouldn't be completely miserable! I usually enjoy the swim for longer races. I am pushing the bike and run pretty hard, but I do like to see the scenery along the course.
2019-06-13 12:00 AM
in reply to: #5259651

User image

Cypress, Texas
Pacing comes with fitness, experience, and focus. Yes, I am 100% focused but no, I am not in a high level of pain when I am racing well. When I go out too hard (i.e. high pain) I am not going to have a good race. Any pain that I have is going to slow me down. If you pace things right you will not kill yourself. My best races I am feeling like I have just finished a hard work out and am ready for some real work. 24 hours later is when I feel the pain from a good race, but not during the race.

When I was a teen aged I could not understand how someone could set a 5k PR while running a 10k or a 10k PR while running a 15k. As I got older and started to see my own Shorter distance PR’s in longer races I learned that loosening up gliding is faster (and less painful) than straining my hardest. Some of my “A races” would go poorly because I would push too hard while “B races” that I took easy and wasn’t trying to go my fastest resulted in PR’s. Pacing and experience are huge factors in long races. Being able to work through pain and manage pain is an big part of where experience, but pain doesn’t equal speed. Being able to pace properly in spite of pain or work through pain is something great races do though.

“So in order to be Front of FOP for the entire race I would imagine you are 100% focused on winning and pain goes along with that which is what you trained and prepared for. Is there any enjoyment in the moment during the race? Certainly your competitiveness is the driving force but is there *fun* in the moment OR does the enjoyment come at the end looking at the results?

Keba“
2019-06-13 12:04 AM
in reply to: #5259818

User image

Cypress, Texas
Oh...and I am not 100% focused on winning. I have a plan for what I want to do before the race and try to not focus on what everyone else is doing. If I stick to my plan I don’t care what place I get. :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who is suffering more during the race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any Triathletes Out There Suffer From Gout?

Started by RockHead
Views: 1042 Posts: 10

2019-03-03 8:44 PM jpetrehn

Carbon rims during winter?

Started by Porfirio
Views: 458 Posts: 1

2018-11-13 2:03 PM Porfirio

Equipment Used During Tri (Conufsion)

Started by rashednaber
Views: 746 Posts: 7

2018-08-14 4:23 AM rashednaber

Running shoes for bunion suffers Pages: 1 2