General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat tire...what happened? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-08 7:04 PM

Subject: Flat tire...what happened?
Ok...just finished my first triathlon ever, a sprint tri, last weekend. Weather was great, no panic in the swim, placed 1st female novice. Can't wait for my second tri, an Olymic distance in September. So maybe this is a dumb question, but I'd like to figure out what happened with my tire. Finished the swim, ran to transition, hopped on the bike and immediately realized my front tire was flat. By that time it was about 8:00 a.m. My husband had pumped up the tires for me around 6 a.m. So the bike sat in transition for two hours and (I'm assuming) no one messed with it. I pulled over, got out my mini pump and filled it as much as I could (probably about half full because I was really flustered at this point.) Rode the 12.5 miles on basically a flat. After the race, my husband filled the tire again to see if it would lose air on the way home. It didn't. Tire is perfectly fine. Hoping this doesn't happen again and that someone more experienced with bike maintenance can help me!

2019-06-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: HannahK149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Flat tire...what happened?
I'd definitely change the tube and check the rim for spokes piking through or anything in the tire that poked a hole in the tube.

If you have a very small hole, it can leak slowly over time. Might be fine for a few days and then flat.

The tube or stem maybe be slightly shifted and when you pump it up, it might seat ok and then go flat.

At any rate, I'd check the tube and tire.
2019-06-08 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5259654

User image

The tube probably has a small hole somewhere. You can fill up your bathtub with water, pump up the tube and submerge it. You should see air bubbles where the leak is. I have a tube right now that will hold air for 1-2 days but will be completely flat after that.

Check your tire really well also in case their is small debris that’s causing the flat.
2019-06-10 11:20 AM
in reply to: #5259658

Yep...flat tire. The discouraging part is that it literally took me half an hour to change it! Hoping this doesn't happen in my next race. Yikes!
2019-06-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: HannahK149

User image

Pro

Valve stem.

2019-06-10 6:05 PM
in reply to: #5259706

User image

Some races have mechanics riding around to assist but I wouldn’t depend on that. I saw a few folks in my first 70.3 that were sitting on the side of the road waiting for the car to change flats for them. That’s a lot of time and money to risk.

I would sit in my garage and practice changing a tube until I could do it in under 5-6 minutes. I ride on terrible roads so I get a good bit of practice.

The Quick Stick made a big difference in changing flats for me. You just stick, pry, and rotate and the bead pops out. It works a lot better than tire levers.

https://www.amazon.com/QuickStick-Quick-Stick-Tire-Levers/dp/B000C12...

2019-06-11 2:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Franklin, TN

I'm with LB on this, especially if you have valve extenders on deeper rims.  I use plumbers tape on the valve extenders to ensure a good seal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flat tire...what happened? Rss Feed