General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Belgium Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-09 6:49 AM

Subject: Hello from Belgium
Hi we are Janry, and after deciding on a lifestyle change have gotten the crazy idea to start training for a half ironman! Looking forward to find good advice here, which we'll surely need!

2019-06-10 1:26 AM
in reply to: Janry

Subject: RE: Hello from Belgium
I have a question right away, and can't figure out how to start a new thread.

I have been reading into explanations on age groups and slots. Can somebody tell me if different age group slots have different starting times? Reason I'm asking is that we would like to do this triathlon together, but we do not fall into the same age group.

Or does everybody just start together, and is the age group only a way of ranking results after the race?

Hope my question is clear, and that somebody can answer it. Thanks in advance!
2019-06-11 9:02 AM

User image

Hi!! Nice to meet you!
2019-06-13 3:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Janry I have a question right away, and can't figure out how to start a new thread. I have been reading into explanations on age groups and slots. Can somebody tell me if different age group slots have different starting times? Reason I'm asking is that we would like to do this triathlon together, but we do not fall into the same age group. Or does everybody just start together, and is the age group only a way of ranking results after the race? Hope my question is clear, and that somebody can answer it. Thanks in advance!

It varies by race but frequently for sprint and Olympic races, age groups (AG) start at different times, say 8:00 am for one or two groups, depending on the size of the group, then the next 3 minutes later and so on.  Sometimes races do what they call 'time trial' starts for the swim, usually pairing up people and sending them off every 10 seconds, a constant flow of athletes.  Some races do mass starts, which means everyone goes at once.

Age group is also a way of breaking down groups of winners.  There will be overall winners, pooled from the entire race and there will be AG winners, usually the top 3 from each age group.  Age groups are also broken down by gender, so females 20-24 and males 20-24, etc.

Welcome to BT and to triathlon!

2019-06-14 2:31 AM
in reply to: sallygreen

Hi Sally likewise!

Originally posted by sallygreen

Hi!! Nice to meet you!

2019-06-14 2:36 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Hi melbo. We are planning to do 70.3 in Spain next year. Hopefully Marbella if we can get a spot.

However, such short time differences (seconds and minutes) shouldn't be a problem. We can always catch up to each other then, since the first concern is finishing and not the time

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the welcome!

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Janry I have a question right away, and can't figure out how to start a new thread. I have been reading into explanations on age groups and slots. Can somebody tell me if different age group slots have different starting times? Reason I'm asking is that we would like to do this triathlon together, but we do not fall into the same age group. Or does everybody just start together, and is the age group only a way of ranking results after the race? Hope my question is clear, and that somebody can answer it. Thanks in advance!

It varies by race but frequently for sprint and Olympic races, age groups (AG) start at different times, say 8:00 am for one or two groups, depending on the size of the group, then the next 3 minutes later and so on.  Sometimes races do what they call 'time trial' starts for the swim, usually pairing up people and sending them off every 10 seconds, a constant flow of athletes.  Some races do mass starts, which means everyone goes at once.

Age group is also a way of breaking down groups of winners.  There will be overall winners, pooled from the entire race and there will be AG winners, usually the top 3 from each age group.  Age groups are also broken down by gender, so females 20-24 and males 20-24, etc.

Welcome to BT and to triathlon!

2019-06-16 3:43 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Welcome to BT
2019-06-17 4:27 AM
in reply to: CBarnes

Thank you Clifford!